Italian Marshalls and Grand Admirals ????

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Mark Costa

Italian Marshalls and Grand Admirals ????

Post by Mark Costa » 21 Aug 2002, 03:41

Does anyone have a list of all the men who held a Marshall or Grand Admiral rank during the tenure of the Fascist regime 1922-1945 ??? In addition to those appointed by Mussolini -- there must have been others from WWI for example that were still alive when he assumed power in 1922 ?????

Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Mark Costa

AJK

Post by AJK » 21 Aug 2002, 15:20

Please find below a list of the Marshals and Grand Admirals during the period 1922 - 1945. The rank of Marshal of Italy was introduced only in 1926, so all of the Marshals listed below were appointed to that rank by Mussolini. Previously the highest rank in the Italian Army was that of Generale d'Esercito. The rank of Marshal of the Empire was created to give Mussolini and the King of Italy seniority over the Marshals of Italy. Only one officer was promoted to the rank of Grand Admiral. I hope this helps.

AJK

Maresciallo d'Impero Benito MUSSOLINI
Maresciallo d'Impero VITTORIO EMANUELE III, Re d'Italia

Maresciallo d'Italia Pietro BADOGLIO, Duca di Addis Ababa, Marchese di Sabotino
Maresciallo d'Italia Ettore BASTICO
Maresciallo d'Italia Conte Luigi CADORNA
Maresciallo d'Italia Conte Ugo CAVALLERO
Maresciallo d'Italia Enrico CAVIGLIA
Maresciallo d'Italia Emilio DE BONO
Maresciallo d'Italia Armando DIAZ, Duca della Vittoria
Maresciallo d'Italia Gaetano GIARDINO
Maresciallo d'Italia Rodolfo GRAZIANI, Marchese di Neghelli
Maresciallo d'Italia Giovanni MESSE
Maresciallo d'Italia Conte Guglielmo PECORI-GIRALDI
Maresciallo d'Italia Umberto, Principe di SAVOIA e Piedmonte (Crown Prince of Italy)
Maresciallo d'Italia Emanuele Filiberto, Duca di SAVOIA-AOSTA

Generale d'Esercito Carlo CANEVA

Grande Ammiraglio Paolo THAON di Revel, Duca della Mare

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 21 Aug 2002, 18:24

AJK, Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mark Costa

Lupo Solitario

Marchals

Post by Lupo Solitario » 21 Aug 2002, 18:31

some adding....the rank of Maresciallo d'Italia was introduced in 1924, not 1926, first ranked Diaz, Cadorna and Thaon di Revel, supreme commanders of italian armed forces in WWI. In 1926 were ranked most important army commanders of WWI (Badoglio, Caviglia, Giardino, Pecori-Giraldi and the Duke of Aosta); apart Badoglio, all died before or had no role in WWII. De Bono and Graziani were ranked after Ethipian war of 1936, Umberto of Piedmont immediately before WWII.
The rank of Primo Maresciallo dell'Impero (First Marshal of Empire) was introduced in 1939. Making Mussolini matching the king, it irritated largely the crown and the military.
The only Marshals created during WWII were Cavallero and Bastico in 1942 and Messe in 1943.
There was the rank of Maresciallo dell'Aria for Air Force too, and the only ranked was Italo Balbo

at dispo
Lupo

AJK

Post by AJK » 21 Aug 2002, 18:37

Lupo,

Thank you for clearing up the date of introduction of the rank of Marshal (1924). Thanks also for reminding me about Balbo, who I inadvertantly overlooked in my list.

AJK

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 21 Aug 2002, 21:03

I have the following date for the seniority of the following Marshals

Badoglio 25/06/26
Bastico 12/08/42
Cavallero 02/07/42
Caviolia 25/06/26
De Bono 16/11/35
Graziani 01/42
Messe 13/05/43
Piemonte 26/10/42

:D Andy from the Shire

Ken McCanliss

Web page on WWII Italian Marshals

Post by Ken McCanliss » 29 Aug 2002, 01:57

See the following web page for short biographies and photos of the Italian Marshals of World War II:

http://www.comandosupremo.com/Marshals.html

genstab

Marshal of Italy GuglielmoPecori-Giraldi

Post by genstab » 18 Jul 2003, 10:24

AJK wrote:Please find below a list of the Marshals and Grand Admirals during the period 1922 - 1945. The rank of Marshal of Italy was introduced only in 1926, so all of the Marshals listed below were appointed to that rank by Mussolini. Previously the highest rank in the Italian Army was that of Generale d'Esercito. The rank of Marshal of the Empire was created to give Mussolini and the King of Italy seniority over the Marshals of Italy. Only one officer was promoted to the rank of Grand Admiral. I hope this helps.

AJK

Maresciallo d'Impero Benito MUSSOLINI
Maresciallo d'Impero VITTORIO EMANUELE III, Re d'Italia

Maresciallo d'Italia Pietro BADOGLIO, Duca di Addis Ababa, Marchese di Sabotino
Maresciallo d'Italia Ettore BASTICO
Maresciallo d'Italia Conte Luigi CADORNA
Maresciallo d'Italia Conte Ugo CAVALLERO
Maresciallo d'Italia Enrico CAVIGLIA
Maresciallo d'Italia Emilio DE BONO
Maresciallo d'Italia Armando DIAZ, Duca della Vittoria
Maresciallo d'Italia Gaetano GIARDINO
Maresciallo d'Italia Rodolfo GRAZIANI, Marchese di Neghelli
Maresciallo d'Italia Giovanni MESSE
Maresciallo d'Italia Conte Guglielmo PECORI-GIRALDI
Maresciallo d'Italia Umberto, Principe di SAVOIA e Piedmonte (Crown Prince of Italy)
Maresciallo d'Italia Emanuele Filiberto, Duca di SAVOIA-AOSTA

Generale d'Esercito Carlo CANEVA

Grande Ammiraglio Paolo THAON di Revel, Duca della Mare
Am working on a list of WW2 Marshals and Fleet Admirals and need the promotion date for Pecori-Giraldi. Can you help me? E-mail me at [email protected] or answer in forum. Thanks much.

genstab

Re: Italian Marshalls and Grand Admirals ????

Post by genstab » 18 Jul 2003, 10:38

Mark Costa wrote:Does anyone have a list of all the men who held a Marshall or Grand Admiral rank during the tenure of the Fascist regime 1922-1945 ??? In addition to those appointed by Mussolini -- there must have been others from WWI for example that were still alive when he assumed power in 1922 ?????

Regards,

Mark Costa
Hi, Mark-I'm a lifelong Clevelander who got stuck in Jacksonville. I'm working on a list of Field Marshals and Fleet Admirals of both sides, both wars and saw your query. Do you have promotion dates on these guys? I need Field Marshals Kuroki, Muto and Uehara and Fleet Admirals Ijuin, Ito, Kato, Shimamura and Yorihito (though he may not have been one). Higashikuni may not have been a Field Marshal (and I know Koga wasn't a Fleet Admiral). Any help you can give is appreciated.

genstab

Re: Italian Marshalls and Grand Admirals ????

Post by genstab » 18 Jul 2003, 10:46

Mark Costa wrote:Does anyone have a list of all the men who held a Marshall or Grand Admiral rank during the tenure of the Fascist regime 1922-1945 ??? In addition to those appointed by Mussolini -- there must have been others from WWI for example that were still alive when he assumed power in 1922 ?????

Regards,

Mark Costa
Hi again, Mark-just learning how to work this thing- I may have replied on the Japanese subject on this letter. Anyway I'm also in need of a promotion date for FieldMarshal Guglielmo Pecori-Giraldi(1926) if you have it. I have all the other Italians in case you need them (except for the ones who died before the war-I only list those alive during the war).
[email protected]

genstab

Post by genstab » 19 Jul 2003, 00:19

Andy H wrote:I have the following date for the seniority of the following Marshals

Badoglio 25/06/26
Bastico 12/08/42
Cavallero 02/07/42
Caviolia 25/06/26
De Bono 16/11/35
Graziani 01/42
Messe 13/05/43
Piemonte 26/10/42

:D Andy from the Shire
Hi Andy- by chance would you have the promotion date on Pecori-Giraldi (1926)? Appreciate it. You can answer in the forum or e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks again.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”