Hitler's Trousers

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Ancient~Geek

Hitler's Trousers

Post by Ancient~Geek » 19 Dec 2017, 02:49

I was watching a documentary about the battle of Berlin and some geezer was doing a piece to camera about how he and Martin Bormann carried Hitler's corpse up to ground level and covered it over with petrol and set fire to it while the shells were going off all around.

But I mean, what happened to Hitler's stuff? I recall seeing another documentary (yes, I admit I am obsessed with the Third Reich but in what I hope is a nice way) where some other geezer was poking about in the ruins of Berchtesgaden and found fragments of what he described as "Hitler's stemware".

I'm not explaining this very well,. But basically if we look at Hitler as a bloke who pulled on his trousers in the morning, somehow, to me, it makes it more ... I'm groping for the word here... between human and understandable. Well, maybe not understandable, at least, I don't know...

I appreciate that since 1945, it's been the done thing to vilify Hitler as a monster but actually, I don't think that helps explain it. He wasn't a superhuman monster. He wore trousers. I'll probably regret this post in the morning but it seems to me that we have the same problem here as we have with so called "Islamic" terrorism. It's not enough to just write these people off as some sort of caricature insane monsters, if we are EVER going to have ANY hope of stopping it happening again, we have to *understand* what makes them tick. However weird it seems to us,,. Down to the level of what happened to their trousers. I assume all his stuff was looted by the Russians, who knows.

I hasten to add that I am NOT trying to say that we should excuse Hitler of anything. But I do sometimes wonder how much control he had over the mechanised system of destruction (eg of the Jews) that he had created. How much did he, actually, personally know? As opposed to what he voiced publicly in his speeches as what he wanted to happen?

I wish I had never started this now, but it's an idea that's been bugging me.

Denys

Re: Hitler's Trousers

Post by Denys » 19 Dec 2017, 21:45

Hello,
You ask what happened to Hitler's trousers? Quite simply: the pants were full of petrol (after they carried Hitler´s corpse up to ground level in the backyard of the Führerbunker and it should have burnt probably very well ... But it wasn´t Borman who carried him to this place.

rmark

Post by rmark » 09 May 2018, 04:22

The 45th Infantry museum in Oklahoma city has some of Hitlers 'stuff' that came from his apartment. Everyday things common to any home.

My adult daughter started to check her hair in a small wall mirror on display, then jumped back, exclaiming it was too freaky to have done that in Hitlers mirror.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 16 May 2018, 13:13

People are responsible for what they do. That applies to Islamic terrorists as well as to Hitler. And Hitler's crimes are so numerous, so horrific and so well documented that any attempt to portray him as just another human being caught up in difficult circumstances who made some unfortunate decisions immediately becomes ludicrous.

As to what made him tick, there are a number of good biographies, but I don't think it's really possible to understand how somebody could cold-bloodedly order the murder of millions of defenceless people who never harmed him.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

muller1945

Post by muller1945 » 20 May 2018, 15:16

Hitler mainly used black trousers with his field grey tunic, julius schaub was responsible for destroying all of hitlers personal items at the end of the war. Tho hitlers valet did have some of his personal items and sold them after the war, strange thing is that when the russians got to the berlin bunker after the SS set it on fire they only got hitlers party tunic and no field grey ones.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”