Written Orders for Peiper and the Meuse - Ardennes

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Revellations

Written Orders for Peiper and the Meuse - Ardennes

Post by Revellations » 08 Jun 2019 09:36

HI all,

I am doing a presentation on Mission Command and I am looking for specific orders that were given to Joachim Peiper about his objectives on the Meuse River. I am hoping there is something that says capture 'a crossing' as opposed to a specific crossing - to emphasise a point I am making in my presentation. If anyone else has a similar example post-Sept 1944 then I will take that as well.

Thanks in advance

Scott
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 08 Jun 2019 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PEIPER - NOT PIEPER - is his name !

AdolfDettmer

Re: Written Orders for Peiper and the Meuse - Ardennes

Post by AdolfDettmer » 11 Jun 2019 19:25

I am not knowledgeable enough on Peiper to to comment directly.

However your presentation seems to be based around the idea Peiper executed a flexible attack with innovative leadership.

From what far more knowledgeable posters than myself have posted, you might consider revising your conclusion until you have researched him enough to make a conclusion.

This thread is massive, but is a great a discussion on Peiper and his tactics. Quite a bit about the Battle I’d Bulge starting page 2-3.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=157803&hilit=Peiper

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 12 Jun 2019 04:58

Thanks Adolf for taking the time to reply. My presentation is on another aspect of WWII but was looking for complimentary evidence. I spent 20 mins reading many pages on the post you shared with me but ut us not what I am looking for....I just wanted a copy of the orders rather than profession and sometimes very personal opinions on Peiper in that thread. Thank you all the same for helping - it is appreciated!!

cheers

Scott
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 12 Jun 2019 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Peiper - NOT Pieper - is his name !!!!

Hanny

Post by Hanny » 12 Jun 2019 11:05

Revellations wrote:
08 Jun 2019 09:36
HI all,

I am doing a presentation on Mission Command and I am looking for specific orders that were given to Joachim Peiper about his objectives on the Meuse River. I am hoping there is something that says capture 'a crossing' as opposed to a specific crossing - to emphasise a point I am making in my presentation. If anyone else has a similar example post-Sept 1944 then I will take that as well.

Thanks in advance

Scott
Try:
Beginning Of The End: The Leadership Of SS-Obersturmbannführer Jochen Peiper
By Major Han Bouwmeester

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kg5 ... se&f=false
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 12 Jun 2019 20:30

Scott,

Michael Reynolds discusses this issue in his book on Peiper in the Ardennes (pp. 40-43). He seems to have been given a planned route but was expected to deviate if needed. It seems very complicated though and not helped by the last 75 years of historiography.

Regards

Tom

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 13 Jun 2019 14:22

Thanks Tom - As I am deployed to Afghanistan, I do not have access to my books. I appreciate your help in this!

Scott

AdolfDettmer

Post by AdolfDettmer » 17 Jun 2019 19:13

Revellations wrote:
13 Jun 2019 14:22
Thanks Tom - As I am deployed to Afghanistan, I do not have access to my books. I appreciate your help in this!

Scott
I would suggest reaching out to some of posters on that thread I linked, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them did have any copies of the orders- if they still exist.

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 21 Jun 2019 05:06

Thanks everyone for helping. My presentation was yesterday and it went very well. I appreciate everyone that assisted here or via email. Got there in the end! cheers Scott

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”