Steroid use by the germans

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
UMachine

Steroid Use By The Germans

Post by UMachine » 04 Jan 2007, 14:32

Anabolics can prevent your system from going into a negative nitrogen balance,which would result in muscle mass losses.Skipping meals,and high stress can cause this.

faf_476

Post by faf_476 » 11 Jan 2007, 11:12

Speaking of this drugs, do German soldier esp. the heers using this!?
the only reason i could think is that, they are using a drug to serve as an stimulant, and boost thier body and soul for long time of fights. To this act German Heers who survived the war must be a possitive into drug addiction, not all of them but mostly, well was this act agreed by the TR, and humors around telling that Hitler was also one of them, esp. in his last days in the fuhrerbunker!
Was this speculatlions true or invented only!?

best,
faf

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 11 Jan 2007, 23:10

faf_476 wrote:they are using a drug to serve as an stimulant, and boost thier body and soul for long time of fights. To this act German Heers who survived the war must be a possitive into drug addiction, not all of them but mostly

best,
faf
Still today 2007, some airforces give amphetamines (in essence same stuff that was used during WW2) to their flightcrews to handle the excessive long flight durations - made possible by flight refuelling on ac types that are not in human physics point of view ment for such long missions.

The use of stimulants is a common thing today. No more, and propably less drug addiction cases among Germans than among those using the same stuff nowdays.

Regards, Mark V

faf_476

Post by faf_476 » 15 Jan 2007, 04:07

Thanks to that Mark, not only the Armed Forces who used this kind of drugs, but also as a musician I'd encounter some of them using drugs to maintain thire ability in a long period of time. But if someone asked if I also used, my only answer is "why should i?"

Best,
faf

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 16 Jan 2007, 04:31

I've read a few remarks by US paratroops that they were given some sort of stimulant before their air assualts. Its not clear how frequent this was. Theres also remarks suggesting the British Commandos may have used similar drugs, probablly benzidrine.

bpfeffer

Post by bpfeffer » 13 Oct 2007, 03:38

The der spiegel article on Nazi drug use can be found here:
http://amphetamines.com/nazi.html

Stephan

Post by Stephan » 14 Oct 2007, 00:26

I believe cortison is also a steroid. Kortison is widely used medically for taking down inflammations, asthma attacks, and such. Very useful.
And the medical science, and field surgeons, were wery good in Germany.

This CAN be the explanation IF you did read it mentioned "Germans used steroids heavily"...ie very possible the "steroids" vere the cortison and alike preparats.

thorwald77

Post by thorwald77 » 14 Oct 2007, 00:35

I was told by Germans that they were given sleeping pills because of the allied air raids. They told me a lot of people had a barbiturate habit after the war.

thorwald77

Post by thorwald77 » 14 Oct 2007, 00:41

In his book Judenrat the author Issiah Trunk mentioned that drunkeness was common in the ranks of the German SS forces in Poland. The Jewish community leaders had to deal with nasty drunks. His book is a good read, get it.

thorwald77

Post by thorwald77 » 14 Oct 2007, 00:45

On the US side of the lines Ike gave the orders. My pop said that Ike had zero tolerance for drinking on duty. Any GI caught drinking on duty could be subject to disciplinary action.

thorwald77

Post by thorwald77 » 14 Oct 2007, 00:48

A former German soldier told me years ago that the Army used alcohol to run motorcycles and this was siphoned off to drink.

thorwald77

Post by thorwald77 » 14 Oct 2007, 00:59

on the US side of the lines my Uncle was stationed in Governors Island in New York City. He said the guys got leave on a regular basis to go the city. He would spend the evening in the gin mills in Times Sq. and be back at his desk in the AM the Army he described was like Sgt. Bilko's. My pop was in France worried about getting by friendly fire of the USAAF. He was near the 30th Div when it got hit.

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 15 Oct 2007, 19:40

Hi.
thorwald77 wrote:I was told by Germans that they were given sleeping pills because of the allied air raids. They told me a lot of people had a barbiturate habit after the war.
For sure sleeping pills were prescribed, like everywhere else, in countries where population could afford medication like that. Issues with overuse of painkillers and sleeping tablets were not new during WW2.
thorwald77 wrote:In his book Judenrat the author Issiah Trunk mentioned that drunkeness was common in the ranks of the German SS forces in Poland. The Jewish community leaders had to deal with nasty drunks. His book is a good read, get it.

Drunkenness was/is an issue with every army in existance since invention of alcoholic beverages.
thorwald77 wrote:On the US side of the lines Ike gave the orders. My pop said that Ike had zero tolerance for drinking on duty. Any GI caught drinking on duty could be subject to disciplinary action.
Surely yes, like everywhere else. That still not stop GIs to get drunk when they wanted. In US Army you would be locked away for long time being drunk in guard duty for example. In German or USSR Army you could get shot because of that if being unlucky.
thorwald77 wrote:A former German soldier told me years ago that the Army used alcohol to run motorcycles and this was siphoned off to drink.
Replacement alcohol use was nothing spectacular either. Elsewhere sailors drank even the alcohol inside compasses of lifeboats...

Overall: EVERY nations soldiers/civilians were time to time wasted, drugged, etc... Germans being just like all others.

Regards, Mark V

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee » 19 Oct 2007, 14:25

Christoph Awender wrote: Pervitin (a Methamphetamin) was the most used medicament given out to troops by the battalion medical officer.
Does anyone know how this was actually taken? I've heard reference to 'tank chocolate' and knew it meant 'speed' - but was it actually taken in chocolate? The Heer slang named sunflower seeds 'Russian chocolate' so I hope you can appreciate why I'm a little confused :)

Thanks,

Zeb

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 19 Oct 2007, 22:33

Zebedee wrote:
Christoph Awender wrote: Pervitin (a Methamphetamin) was the most used medicament given out to troops by the battalion medical officer.
Does anyone know how this was actually taken? I've heard reference to 'tank chocolate' and knew it meant 'speed' - but was it actually taken in chocolate? The Heer slang named sunflower seeds 'Russian chocolate' so I hope you can appreciate why I'm a little confused :)

Thanks,

Zeb
Hi.

I don't know about "laced" chocolate containing amphetamines. I believe they added caffeine. Adding speed to regular consumable like chocolate would cause an unnecessary administration of powerfull drug, same time being very inefficient way of delivery. Also you would screw your soldiers brains for good. The shit will drill an hole to brain if used regularily for a long time. And i don't mean addiction.

Pervitin was in tablet form, containing metamphetamine, plus IIRC some caffeine too.

Regards, Mark V

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”