Horses in the Wehrmacht

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee » 14 Jul 2007, 12:55

Everyone (and especially Jon G) has been kind enough to allow me to cite ‘Tooze’ without specific references, so now I’ve got my copy of Tooze back I thought I’d better substantiate some of the claims I put into his mouth ;)

The following information has been taken from the 2006 hardback Allen Lane edition of Tooze’s Wages of Destruction. It’s a rather mixed bag intended just to give some further information on a few points.

German Food supply

I’ve made reference to the problems in the German food situation which Tooze consistently highlights. In Table A-5, Tooze shows this through grain production. I’m not really certain what the difference between the two tables is as Tooze doesn’t say – I’m supposing Altreich versus Grossreich but I could well be wrong. All figures are in millions of tons. NB: The 1938/39 harvest was considered a ‘bumper’ harvest.

Code: Select all

32/33 33/34 34/35 35/36 36/37 37/38 38/39
Harvest            22.8  24.3  20.3  21.0  20.9  21.1  24.9
Net Imports         0.4  -0.4   1.1   0.0   1.2   1.6   1.6
Stocks              1.0   2.0   3.1   3.4   1.7   2.0   3.2
Available          25.1  27.0  24.8  22.8  24.1  25.8  33.1
Seed and loss       2.5   2.5   2.4   2.4   2.4   2.3   2.5
Consumption        19.8  20.3  18.8  20.4  19.5  19.1  20.7
Stocks              2.0   3.1   3.4   1.7   2.0   3.2   6.6 

38/39 39/40 40/41 41/42 42/43 43/44
Harvest        29.6  27.5  24.0  23.6  22.7  23.9
Net imports     2.5   2.1   2.2   3.0   5.1   4.6
Stocks          4.8   8.8   7.5   3.1   1.8   2.5
Available      36.9  38.4  33.7  29.7  29.6  31.0
Seed and loss   3.0   3.0   2.9   3.0   2.9   2.9
Consumption    25.1  27.9  27.7  24.9  24.2  25.0
Stocks          8.8   7.5   3.1   1.8   2.5   3.1 
Tooze’s sources: A.Hanau and R.Plate, Die deutsche landwirtschaft Preis- und Marktpolitik im Zweiten Weltkrieg (Stuttgart, 1975), 49; Statistisches Handbuch von Deutschland, 489 – 90; Statistiches Jahrbuch für das Deutsche Reich 1937, 367

As the grain figures show, Germany built up substantial stocks of grain prior to the war but these were rapidly depleted. By 1941/42 it is no exaggeration to talk of a crisis in the food situation. Tooze details this in some length and links it with atrocities carried out in Eastern Europe. One should also note that this was the time when the Wehrmacht started to really carry out requisitioning on a large scale in the occupied countries, and we see a corresponding surge in imports as surplus grain makes it way onto the domestic market after the Wehrmacht had taken their needs first. Of the early war imports of grain, roughly half came from the SU (1 million tons per annum). One should also look at the issue of feeding animals when thinking about grain supplies. A reduction in grain availability would not only hit human consumption of grain products but also the availability of meat. More relevant to this thread is the need to keep the Wehrmacht’s horses alive, although I don’t believe that the grain required to do this is factored into these tables.

Tooze (p.361) cites chief medical officer Dr Leonardo Conti as declaring in October 1939 that ‘long hours and the the restricted wartime diet were pushing the civillian population to the limit’. On p.541 Tooze cites studies by nutritional experts in 1942 which highlighted that ‘the reduced ration prevailing since the start of the war had had a serious impact on the population’s reserves of body fat… This was cause for alarm, because the fat reserves in the bodies of the labour force had acted as a buffer in the first years of the war.’

French and German oil supply and useage

On p.150, Tooze gives 486,001 registered cars in 1932 for Germany versus 1.271 million in 1938. This in a population (Altreich) of 69 million. In 1936 Germany required 5.4 million tons of oil per annum (p.226 citing Petzina, Autarkiepolitik, 83-4). France, with a population of 42 million, had a minimum of 5.4 million tons of oil imported every year (p.411). Tooze says this was at a per capita rate 60% higher than that of Germany. Maximum oil available to Germany in wartime was 8 million tons per annum (6.5 million peak synthetic production and 1.5 million imported from Romania – the SU provided 1 million tons per annum prior to invasion).

Swedish iron ore

p.381 – In 1940 more than half of Germany’s iron ore came from imports, of these imports 83% were from Sweden.

Railways

p.385 – French, Dutch and Belgian railways provided Germany with 4,260 locomotives and 140,000 wagons. German stock was 650,000 wagons in 1938 (p.413 – and interestingly less than the 670000 serviceable wagons in the late 1920s) and production was 2000 wagons per annum from 1933 to 1937 (p.343). Of the German stock, only 575000 were actually serviceable in 1937.

Going just on the 790000 wagons available to Germany (discounting any substantial German war production), the 200000 required by the Ostheer is a substantial amount to take away from the economy.

If there are any other unsupported citations from Tooze I’ve made which anyone wishes me to clarify, please let me know as I’m more than happy to dig out the info.

All the best,

Zeb

edit: darn it, I can't get that table to look vaguely readable. Apologies.

Moderator's note: I took the liberty and edited your post in order to make the tables more readable. Apologies for playing Big Brother, and thanks for a very good post. Jon, moderator

LWD

Post by LWD » 14 Jul 2007, 14:15

Very interesting information thanks.

As for the table. You might consider saving an image of it (say using a spreadsheet or graphics program) then posting the image. One of the things all most all these boards lack that would really be useful is tabs.

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 14 Jul 2007, 14:53

My moderator colleague Christian Ankerstjerne suggested a way of making tables work, here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 621#903621

...i.e. type up your table in a monotype font in Notepad or similar, then copy-and-paste the table into the

[/c ode] tags. It is fiddly, but it works.

Zebedee, some really good points raised by you as usual :) I will only address a few points briefly while digesting the rest for a later post. 

[quote="Zebedee"]...Glantz in Before Stalingrad cites only 1 in 3 German motor vehicles being operational on 1 November 1941. If the figure of 600 000 is correct, that would give only 200 000 vehicles. Hence my earlier surprise at the optimistic figures quoted by the QM staff. The rate of attrition for tanks was slightly less, being at 35% of initial numbers...[/quote]

True, but the German vehicle inventory was in a terrible state on November 1st 1941 due to the autumn mud period. Incidentally, Tooze also makes an interesting remark about that when he writes that the OKH blamed the poor standards of the Wehrmacht's drivers for the high breakdown rates - drivers were certified with a mere 15 km under their belts. As a consequence, they may have droven their vehicles too hard, and, perhaps, they would often not have been able to repair a broken down truck themselves.

The blanket '30%-of-trucks-out-of-service' at any given time [i]does[/i] seem pessimistic to me. If there are ten random cars parked in the street where you live, would you assume three of them to be out of order at any given time?

[quote]...It's quite bizarre about the food imports from Spain but it could have been a way for Spain to make a quick profit and the figures are perhaps reflecting certain cash crops. However, it is interesting that food reserves in Spain were apparantly quite low - at least low enough for Franco to make it a reason for not entering the war on the Axis side...[/quote]

Most of the Spanish imports mentioned are oranges, exported via Valencia - and it is by the way not specified if they were intended for the French or the German markets. Or, imports from Spain could in turn have been compensated by exports from French North Africa to Spain.

Regarding Franco's price for entering the war I made a post about that here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=1083971#1083971

[quote]...I think Tooze is correct to 'credit' Milch with the increase in aircraft production if the evidence is as he presents it. It is however very much a backhanded compliment as Tooze points out how the increase was achieved by continuing production in obselescent fighter aircraft (the 109). I’ve not yet managed to pick up the work cited by Tooze but I will be chasing that one up as it sounds fascinating...[/quote]

True, a consequence of Milch's programme (and also of the efforts to disperse aircraft production), the Luftwaffe was building obsolescent planes when the Allied air forces began really pressing for air superiority over occupied Europe. It is worth noting that German aircraft losses went up at the same pace that a/c production did. 

As for backhanded compliments, I almost found it funny that Tooze identifies [i]Speer[/i] as the main villain in delaying Me 262 production :) Normally, Hitler, Göring and Milch, in that order, get the blame for failing to get the Me 262 operational earlier. That says something about the power of the myth of Speer's armaments miracle.

The book about the Luftwaffe is Williamson Murray's [i]Strategy for Defeat: The Luftwaffe, 1933-1945[/i] It is freely available for download [url=http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/catalog/books/Murray_B12.htm]here[/url] Here is the direct link to the pdf version of Murray's [url=http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/Books/Murray/Murray.pdf]book[/url] (Warning! Big file)

More later!

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 16 Jul 2007, 05:31

Hi again Zebedee,

I addressed some of your other points above, which is why I will be snipping freely in this post, which may also be a little rambling as a result.
Zebedee wrote:...the view of the German economy as a whole is perhaps essential in pinning down why the Wehrmacht was so reliant upon horses. It does perhaps 'muddy' things when one has to bring in information which isn't perhaps directly related but perhaps this 'compartmentalisation' of the German war effort is one of the problems which has allowed so many myths to develop?
Yes! I also think that is why this thread seemingly is going all over the place - if we want to find out why the Wehrmacht used so relatively many horses, we also need to answer why the German economy was relatively more primitive than its western adversaries - which raises a whole complex of problems. In his article about horses in the Wehrmacht, DiNardo also spends a fair deal of space talking about harvest and food surpluses and deficits. We can't just take the horses out of context and flatly establish that the Germans didn't have enough motor vehicles without also establishing why that was.
...One must also factor in the amount of rolling stock available for transport for an accurate picture as well as other means of transport (eg canals). I don't think that Britain ever suffered the near collapse of transport infrastructure which plagued Germany (eg Winter 39/Spring 40)...
Well, as an only very mildly related point, Britain's infrastructure had its own problems - the U-Boat campaign forced Britain's imports to be funnelled through ports on the west coast, meaning that the well-developed ports of eg. London and on the channel coast stood unused. In turn, that meant that Britain's whole transport infrastructure - notably the railways - had to be re-aligned in order to primarily service ports on the west coast, rather than ports all over the country.
...As I’ve got Glantz in front of me, he gives 2500 locomotives and 200000 wagons as being used by the Ostheer. I get my Tooze back soon (hurrah!) because I know he discusses the decline of the German railway stock during the 1930s and I’d be intrigued to know how great the shortfall actually was if Tooze gives hard figures for numbers available in the Grossreich on the eve of war.
The Ostheer rolling stock numbers strike me as exorbitant. Perhaps the figures pertain to the Ostheer's needs for the entire war, rather than at a particular point in time? I am away from my books as I type this - forgive my sloppy references on that score - but I should be able to dig some numbers out from Potgiesser's book on the German railroads in the east later this week.

Your general point stands, though. The German Reichsbahn were in a pretty run-down state already prior to the war - one thing was servicing an economy running at full speed from re-armament; chronic under-investment actually meant that the stock of rail cars and locomotives was falling through the 1930s.
... have no problem with the food figures as ballpark approximations. My concern is that if Tooze is correct regarding the German food situation, then the picture of the food situation overall in Europe may well be inaccurate, at least as a guide for the actual war years. I’m perhaps being a tad pedantic but… For instance, Greece is 80% self-sufficient pre-war but we know that there was a severe famine there which shows just how much the war (and primarily German food requisitions) hit that particular country.
Well, the overall picture emerging from the food dependence figures is that Europe was a net food importer pre-war if viewed as a whole. But that may in fact be the limit of these figures' usefulness, particularly because it is not clear how rationing may affect individual countries' degree of dependence on food imports. The key problem, I think, is that war cancels normal market functions. Greece was starving during the war, as you say, and so were the Netherlands; conversely the Germans in fact imported food to Norway during the war, to prevent a serious food shortage turning into outright famine.
The data also doesn’t take into account population figures for individual countries to allow a comparison.
Yes. Sweden (at 91% food self-sufficiency) plus Bulgaria (at 109%) doesn't mean that Sweden and Bulgaria put together have enough food for the totality of Sweden and Bulgaria's needs.

At any rate, the pre-war food figures can be found in the League of Nations statistics which I linked to earlier. It would be a tedious and laborious task to piece together food stocks for each country from these statistics, but at least theoretically it can be done. Post-1940 harvest figures are conspicuously absent for Grossraum countries (and sadly also for the Soviet Union), but already the absence of figures should tell us something.

(Good stuff snipped)
...It's quite bizarre about the food imports from Spain but it could have been a way for Spain to make a quick profit and the figures are perhaps reflecting certain cash crops. However, it is interesting that food reserves in Spain were apparantly quite low - at least low enough for Franco to make it a reason for not entering the war on the Axis side...
Well, Franco's demands for 400-700,000 tons of grain (the figure stated in the Avalon document which my Spanish post links to) seem quite outrageous, perhaps deliberately so. It is after all Hitler explaining the situation to Mussolini in the Avalon document, so he may well have had an interest in overstating his case a bit. The Spanish oranges exported to France may very well have been compensated in kind by exports from French North Africa to Spain.
...Returning to our horses, I think that from the pieces assembled in this thread it’s becoming more and more obvious just how badly the Grossraum was suffering during the war years in order to maintain Germany’s war effort. Tooze links in with this the impact of these problems on German war crimes but I don’t think this is the thread to really go into that. I feel terrible for somewhat derailing a thread specifically concerning horses into one which is far more general.
I was also a little unsure about taking this thread into all sorts of interesting directions, but I think a general (if still blurry) picture of sorts is emerging. The Grossraum was suffering to maintain Germany's war, as you say, and Europe was already deficient in a number of areas prior to the war - notably key strategic materials (I've posted some details about that here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=119231 ), but also in essentials such as food. The horses are simply the proverbial tip of the iceberg.
One thing which is puzzling me is just how the Ukrainian harvest was going to be gathered in. The Soviets are stripping horses away, the Germans likewise. Germany cannot produce the machinery to open up the oilfields it historically gained control of (eg at Maikop) let alone the machinery to harvest and then transport the harvest...
That also strikes me as rather speculative planning on the Germans' part. They appear to have expected to add the Ukrainian granary to their food deficit right away, starving the Ukrainian urban population to death, and then proceed to re-colonize the Ukraine to the tune of 100 people per sq. mile if my memory of Tooze serves me - despite previous disappointments in Poland, and also in the Ukraine in 1918. The small detail of beating the Red Army almost looks like an afterthought in an economic/resource-management context.

(Lots of good stuff snipped)
...Another key point Tooze makes is that of the role of Bomber Command in diverting German industry from production for the war in the East. Neillands has made similar points in the past although without the economic evidence to support them and relying on the aerial equivalent of the ‘fleet in being’ argument (ie that the threat of a bomber is almost as effective as a bomber itself in diverting resources into air defence)...
Well, if Tooze is to be believed, I am in fact rather surprised how easily the spring 1943 RAF raids against the Ruhr can be read against German armaments production figures, given the many years of fruitless debate over the effect (or non-effect) of the RAF's bombing raids. In fairness, Tooze then goes on to critisize the RAF for switching its efforts over to the battle for Berlin.
Even if one ignores the actual damage done and the resulting disruptions, the scale to which German industry was focused on aircraft which were predominantly for air defence of the Grossreich is amazing – if my memory serves me well, the Luftwaffe was absorbing at least 40% of Germany’s war industry throughout the war.
Well, yes, but Tooze's (& Murray's) argument seems to be that the greatly increased aircraft production came about because Germany was already looking ahead to the next war - the war against Britain and the USA. All those extra aircraft came in handy anyway, but Milch probably didn't expect them to be defending the Reich against USAAF and RAF bombers :)

As for the Luftwaffe absorbing 40% of Germany's war effort, I recall seeing a similar (but unsubstantiated) figure for the RAF. Then again, Göring's interest as Four Year Plan tsar can be hard to seperate from his interests as head of the Luftwaffe. I'd love to see how much of German synthfuel went to the Luftwaffe and how much went to the Heer, for example.

(Lots of good stuff snipped again)
...After reading Tooze, I started to question a lot of assumptions which are so casually made. But returning to the subject of horses and mechanisation, I think that Tooze's picture of the German war economy does make one realise just how little 'give' there was to actually produce the vehicles needed for full mechanisation even if one takes out any problem with regards to the oil situation
Yes, I was particularly attracted to Tooze's lengthy disspelling of Speer's armaments miracle. Tooze's 'helicopter view' of the whole German war economy from beginning to end is very attractive and, considering the subject, quite readable too.

As for horses and mechanisation, they are simply an outward sign of a vulnerable economy. Any discussion about why the Germans employed so many horses compared to other combatants is bound to range both wide and far. I have lost all reservations about keeping this thread on the proverbial horsetrack as a result.

Uncle Joe
Banned

Post by Uncle Joe » 16 Jul 2007, 08:47

I just wonder if Tooze allows some double standards to creep in for he describes (according to statements above) the Bf 109 an obsolete design and surely it should follow that he rates Soviet fighters the same way. After all, if the practical in-the-field performance (achieved by average production airframes vs. ideal figures quoted by some pro-Soviet authors) of the Bf 109 is considered obsolete, that of the Lagg-3s, Mig-3s, La-5s, Yaks and so on is über-obsolete.

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 16 Jul 2007, 08:55

Tooze is simply drawing the logical consequence of mass-producing 1941 aircraft in 1943 and 1944. His book is not about Soviet aircraft, which is why he doesn't comment on their qualities. Also, he doesn't call the Bf 109 obsolete - he just calls it obsolescent.

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee » 16 Jul 2007, 10:09

Just a quick reply while I digest the replies - huge thanks for sorting that table out for me Jon G :) Downloading Murray now so I can follow the points Andreas made earlier.

JonS

Post by JonS » 17 Jul 2007, 01:50

Jon G. wrote:The blanket '30%-of-trucks-out-of-service' at any given time does seem pessimistic to me. If there are ten random cars parked in the street where you live, would you assume three of them to be out of order at any given time?
30% may or may not be excessive, but the example you give isn't a good one. Vehicles in the 1940s were significantly less reliable than modern cars. Also off-road, or poor-road, driving is much harder on vehicles than on-road driving.

I don't know if military vehicles in general are less reliable than civilian vehicles*, but anyone with recent military experience will be able to tell you how often mil vehs seem to break down. I can only imagine the situation in the 1940s was at least the same, if not much worse.

As an anecdote, ISTR that info regarding German truck breakdown rates and availability rates in North Africa is relatively easy to obtain (perhaps from van Creveld?).

Other sources might be info from the 1944-45 NWE campaign, which should be easy-ish to obtain. However, without going too deeply into the relative reliability of US vs Ger vs UK military trucks (and IIRC a fairly small proportion of the German fleet was 'military' anyway, with the balance being made up of civilian vehicles impressed into service, with predictable results when used off-road), I would hazard a guess that - in terms of reliability - it'd look something like this:
US > UK** > Ger
... so direct translations might not work.

FWIW

Regards
Jon

* tracked military vehicles are much less reliable than civilian vehicles, but that is, I think, a function of the complexity of tracks, rather than an inherent lack of reliability because it's painted green.

** Exception for the Bedford QL 3-ton noted.

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 17 Jul 2007, 10:53

JonS wrote:
Jon G. wrote:The blanket '30%-of-trucks-out-of-service' at any given time does seem pessimistic to me. If there are ten random cars parked in the street where you live, would you assume three of them to be out of order at any given time?
30% may or may not be excessive, but the example you give isn't a good one. Vehicles in the 1940s were significantly less reliable than modern cars. Also off-road, or poor-road, driving is much harder on vehicles than on-road driving...
You're right that my example isn't the best-chosen one, but it was the only one I could think of. My point was that 30% trucks out of commission at any given time wasn't necessarily the actual average percentage of OOO trucks - as Zebedee's quote from Glantz points to, it could be a whole lot worse at approx. 2/3rds of Ostheer motor vehicles unserviceable on November 1st 1941. But then that's probably a low point in the Ostheer truck inventory, right after several months of autumn mud.

Rather, 30% trucks in repair or otherwise unusable at any given was the percentage of trucks which the OKH allowed for in its planning. Not just for operations, but at all times, under all conditions. It still strikes me as a high number, particularly because Wehrmacht planners were not noted for undue pessimism, at least not when they were preparing for Barbarossa.
As an anecdote, ISTR that info regarding German truck breakdown rates and availability rates in North Africa is relatively easy to obtain (perhaps from van Creveld?)...
I will have to look that up, I have a back log of numbers to add to this thread when time permits. However, further to your suggestion about the relative quality of various countries' trucks, the tough part would probably be to determine the exact provenience of the PAA's trucks :wink: Canadian built three-tonners were apparently a staple vehicle for everybody in the desert.

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee » 17 Jul 2007, 16:29

Hi Jon,

as I briefly said in the earlier post, huge thanks for sorting out that table for me. I'll have a play with the instructions you linked so that I'll be able to put in future tables without straining everyone's eyes ;) Otherwise I’ll follow LWD’s advice and post as a picture. As ever, I'm slowly working my way through the links you've kindly provided. I’ve tried to address similar issues together under headings so please forgive snipping and joining together of both of your posts. We’re ranging quite widely but it is very good to do so as it allows us to link related subjects far more easily than if we segmented things. This is something of an epic post, so apologies for that.

Just as a quick guide to sources used in this post:

Glantz = David Glantz, Before Stalingrad, Tempus, 2003, paperback
Murray = Williamson Murray, Strategy for Defeat, 2000, available for download from link posted by Jon G earlier in this thread
Tooze = Adam Tooze, The Wages of Destruction, Allen Lane, 2006, hardback

Motor Vehicles
True, but the German vehicle inventory was in a terrible state on November 1st 1941 due to the autumn mud period. Incidentally, Tooze also makes an interesting remark about that when he writes that the OKH blamed the poor standards of the Wehrmacht's drivers for the high breakdown rates - drivers were certified with a mere 15 km under their belts. As a consequence, they may have droven their vehicles too hard, and, perhaps, they would often not have been able to repair a broken down truck themselves.

The blanket '30%-of-trucks-out-of-service' at any given time does seem pessimistic to me. If there are ten random cars parked in the street where you live, would you assume three of them to be out of order at any given time?
Fair point about the state of the Ostheer on 1/11/41. However, I'm not certain whether or not one can solely blame the mud for this. There is a tendency when talking about the Heer to play up the effect of 'uncontrollable' variables and downplay all others (eg bad command decisions, being outfought). Perhaps this is a legacy of the biographies of the senior German commanders after the war? I’m not doubting that the mud added to the problems and certainly would have caused logjams and shortages but I do wonder whether it has been used as a ‘deus ex machina’ to explain more fundamental underlying faults.

To illustrate this, I'd like to draw a comparison between the Russian campaign and the French campaign. According to Glantz (p.156/7), on 1/11/41 Panzer divisions were at 35% strength. According to Murray (p.39), the French campaign cost Germany 30% of its frontline tank strength. So in a campaign lasting roughly twice as long, the Germans had taken just over twice as many tank losses. So as far as tanks are concerned, the mud really didn’t have that much of an impact. I appreciate that the difference between tracked and wheeled forms of vehicle means a great deal in such circumstances, but I find it hard to reconcile with some of the quotations which you have provided demanding substantial motor vehicle requisitions after relatively short periods of time even in the French campaign.

Perhaps the QM staff were basing their predictions on a formula with a set time period in mind? As a blanket statement, 30% inoperative would imply that spare parts were the main problem and I wonder whether the Heer was suffering as much as the Luftwaffe did in this regard? Murray makes much of how instead of 20 to 30 % of industrial capacity being devoted to spares (p.14) almost no industrial capacity was used for this. This allowed for an increase in frontline strength but no ‘staying’ ability. This tallies well with overall German strategy which seemed to have been predicated to short and powerful blows to overcome foes but with the knowledge that a long war was beyond their means. Add in the knowledge that the logistical arrangements in the SU were going to mean severe shortages even if spare parts were available from stock, and 30% inoperative still seems optimistic to me.

I take your point that at first glance it appears to be exceptionally high as a blanket figure but I’m still unconvinced that it was an excessive figure, and I’m more and more persuaded that it represents something of an optimistic appreciation if one looks at the rate of attrition in the campaigns in Poland, France and then the SU.

Glantz cites a study (apparently unpublished) by Heinrici called The Campaign in Russia (1954, US Army G-2). It’s found in the US archives with an (apparently unpublished) translation by Joseph Welch. I’m wondering whether it has been published in the six years since Glantz originally wrote Before Stalingrad. The conclusions Heinrici makes which Glantz cites seem to indicate that it might be of great interest in so far the logistics of the invasion of the SU is concerned.
The Tooze comment on the state of the oil situation and it applying to drivers is very amusing as he points out that this approach to driver training was happening when Germany had achieved its peak stocks of oil after the fall of France. I believe you’re right to state that such drivers would have little to no experience of actually repairing their own vehicles and thus add to the problems of serviceability. Tooze highlights that skilled mechanics were subject to the push-me pull-you effect of being needed both by the armed forces and the war industries. And given the limited motorisation of Germany in the 1930s, I’d imagine that there would be a fairly limited number of them.

I briefly skimmed Tooze over the weekend to refresh my memory. One thing really struck me with regards to horses. P.212 gives some details of Fromm’s 1936 mobilisation plans. For a force of c.102 divisions (roughly 12 armoured and fully or partially motorised), Fromm set out 120,000 trucks (most to be requisitioned from civilian purposes) and 630,700 horses. It makes for an intriguing (albeit rough) comparison with the Ostheer of 1941.

Trains and transportation
The Ostheer rolling stock numbers strike me as exorbitant. Perhaps the figures pertain to the Ostheer's needs for the entire war, rather than at a particular point in time? I am away from my books as I type this - forgive my sloppy references on that score - but I should be able to dig some numbers out from Potgiesser's book on the German railroads in the east later this week.

Your general point stands, though. The German Reichsbahn were in a pretty run-down state already prior to the war - one thing was servicing an economy running at full speed from re-armament; chronic under-investment actually meant that the stock of rail cars and locomotives was falling through the 1930s
Glantz’s exact words are ‘Moreover, the successful evacuation of the Soviet railroads forced the Germans to commit 2,500 locomotives and 200,000 railcards to support the troops in the east’ (p.65). He cites Klaus Reinhardt, Moscow: The Turning Point in the only note in that paragraph.

Not sure what to make of it to be honest – it could well be just wrong (Glantz is somewhat weaker on the German side of things in comparison to his compendious knowledge of the Soviet archives), so I’d welcome any correction from specialist literature when you are able to post it ?

Certainly, the needs of the Wehrmacht would have stressed an already problematic situation in the distribution network of Europe. Germany itself would have been shielded to a large extent by requisitions from elsewhere in the Grossraum but even fairly early in the war we start to see problems striking the periphery with regards to even basic transportation of goods and materials. The Nazi focus on road links and motor transport were fine when oil was available but the underinvestment in the Reichsbahn certainly played a role in the problems of the war years.
Well, as an only very mildly related point, Britain's infrastructure had its own problems - the U-Boat campaign forced Britain's imports to be funnelled through ports on the west coast, meaning that the well-developed ports of eg. London and on the channel coast stood unused. In turn, that meant that Britain's whole transport infrastructure - notably the railways - had to be re-aligned in order to primarily service ports on the west coast, rather than ports all over the country.
True, this certainly raised turnaround times for shipping (if I recall Churchill’s 1940 notes correctly they were doubled). I have to confess I’ve not seen any literature which discusses problems in Britain’s wartime transportation infrastructure. One can point to problems with shipping (eg I believe parts of India suffered famine as a result of not being able to ship in sufficient extra food from outside the subcontinent) but on the British Isles themselves I haven’t heard of anything like the problems of Germany in 1939/40.

Food
Well, Franco's demands for 400-700,000 tons of grain (the figure stated in the Avalon document which my Spanish post links to) seem quite outrageous, perhaps deliberately so. It is after all Hitler explaining the situation to Mussolini in the Avalon document, so he may well have had an interest in overstating his case a bit. The Spanish oranges exported to France may very well have been compensated in kind by exports from French North Africa to Spain.
I didn’t want to say oranges, but I’d kind of assumed that it would be them. ;) Interestingly Tooze says ‘In Spain, the situation over the winter of 1940-41 approached famine conditions and the inability of Germany to guarantee sufficient grain supplies was a major factor in persuading Franco not to declare war on the German side’ (p.744, note 94 citing Hernandes-Sandoica and Moradiellos, ‘Spain and the Second World War’, 1939-1945’, in Wylie{ed}, European Neutrals and Non-belligerents During the Second World War, p.241-59.)
As I’ve not read the essay in question, although I’ve placed an order with the British Library for the book today, it’s hard to say whether the argument that Franco placed his demands deliberately too high or not is also one of the issues which should be considered as being up for revision.
That also strikes me as rather speculative planning on the Germans' part. They appear to have expected to add the Ukrainian granary to their food deficit right away, starving the Ukrainian urban population to death, and then proceed to re-colonize the Ukraine to the tune of 100 people per sq. mile if my memory of Tooze serves me - despite previous disappointments in Poland, and also in the Ukraine in 1918. The small detail of beating the Red Army almost looks like an afterthought in an economic/resource-management context.
Tooze speaks of the almost casual nature in which adding an advance of 2000 miles was talked about within the German high command. It does seem absolutely crazy but if one accepts that WW2 was fundamentally about the last great European ‘landgrab’ of the colonial era than one can see why it was so essential (in the minds of the Nazis) to obtain the lebensraum to give Germany self-sufficiency. But even allowing for this ideological context, I’m very surprised that there isn’t more evidence of people like Thomas pointing out the absurdities of the enterprise. The ‘greatest commander of all time’ effect I suppose. There does seem to have been a severe dislocation between the strategic and operational plans for Barbarossa and although Hitler does have to shoulder the majority of the blame, one cannot but help look at the General staff and wonder what on earth they were up to in not noticing the problem far earlier.

Well, the overall picture emerging from the food dependence figures is that Europe was a net food importer pre-war if viewed as a whole. But that may in fact be the limit of these figures' usefulness, particularly because it is not clear how rationing may affect individual countries' degree of dependence on food imports. The key problem, I think, is that war cancels normal market functions. Greece was starving during the war, as you say, and so were the Netherlands; conversely the Germans in fact imported food to Norway during the war, to prevent a serious food shortage turning into outright famine.
That’s a reasonable point but one which seems to be persistently ignored in the literature on World War 2. The economic blockade imposed by Britain on the Grossraum had devastating consequences. However, I’m not certain whether the key problem is one of war cancelling normal market functions or that a particularly ruthless regime decided that the only way to last out a long war was to starve everyone else first. Perhaps this was one of the key lessons ‘learnt’ by the Nazis from WW1? That the home front must be secured and the key to this was ensuring adequate supplies of food. And with a net food deficit, this meant taking food away from other countries whether or not this meant starvation for the rest of Europe.
Just as a sample overview of ration levels in German occupied areas in 1940/41 (calories per day only – so protein/fat etc deficiencies are not shown but ought also to be considered), Tooze (scattered throughout the book – cf the appendix under ‘food rationing’) gives the following:
German soldier: 4000
German civilian: 2570
Norwegian: 1600
Czech: 1600
Belgian: 1300
French: 1300
Pole (General Government): 609 (later 938)
Polish Jew (General Government): 503 (later 369)
Belorussian Jew: 420

One can see a clear hierarchy in food rationing which corresponds to Nazi ideology rather than any pre-war self-sufficiency figures. Just to put the ration levels in context, the British government says the average adult should eat around 2000 calories per day (which is, of course, assuming a modern sedentary lifestyle).
As I mentioned, this ignores the problem of protein and fats in the diet which come primarily from meat. If grain is being diverted for human consumption, then that means fewer animals and a smaller meat ration. One of the horribly black moments of humour in Tooze is found on p.539 (taken from the IMT proceedings) when Goering suggests feeding the Ostarbeiter on horsemeat and cats. Backe consults his figures and reports there aren’t enough cats and the Germans are already eating all the horses they can spare.
Sweden (at 91% food self-sufficiency) plus Bulgaria (at 109%) doesn't mean that Sweden and Bulgaria put together have enough food for the totality of Sweden and Bulgaria's needs.

At any rate, the pre-war food figures can be found in the League of Nations statistics which I linked to earlier. It would be a tedious and laborious task to piece together food stocks for each country from these statistics, but at least theoretically it can be done. Post-1940 harvest figures are conspicuously absent for Grossraum countries (and sadly also for the Soviet Union), but already the absence of figures should tell us something.
I think the figures for the Grossraum are available if one has the time (and relevant language skills) to go through the specialist literature. I personally don’t and, as you say, it would be a long and laborious task to try and piece everything together. Tooze does give some indications of the problems (eg p.419). The French harvest of 1940 was half that of 1938. 1940 was also a bad year for Yugoslavia and Hungary with exports to Germany reduced by 3 million tons – although how far it hit the countries themselves, Tooze does not say. Even if substantial stocks were available pre-war, would a single bad harvest be enough to totally reduce them? That’s if any survived requisitioning.
Just to correct/clarify an earlier point I made, the Soviet grain imports effectively represented half the net surplus of imports. In early 1941, the Soviets agreed to double exports to 2 million tons per annum by utilising their own reserves of grain. Of course, gross imports were much greater than shown in the table from Tooze.

Aeroplanes
Well, if Tooze is to be believed, I am in fact rather surprised how easily the spring 1943 RAF raids against the Ruhr can be read against German armaments production figures, given the many years of fruitless debate over the effect (or non-effect) of the RAF's bombing raids. In fairness, Tooze then goes on to critisize the RAF for switching its efforts over to the battle for Berlin.
It is rather shocking. And one can add in the impact of the blockade to this impression, which one gets in most works on WW2, of ‘minimal impact’. Tooze does point out that the RAF hit the right target almost by mistake in severing the Ruhr from the Reich. The graph on p.600 (figure 22), which shows a counterfactual progression of the German armaments industry, is very persuasive. It also supports the contemporary documents of the likes of Speer and their reports on the impact on German industry. There is definitely room for a revisionist work solely on this issue which takes up the baton from Neilland and Tooze to examine again the impact of Bomber Command. The issue of bombing has been very much muddied by the likes of Irving over the past few decades and it would be nice to see it placed within a strategic context with a broader overview than I’ve yet read.
Well, yes, but Tooze's (& Murray's) argument seems to be that the greatly increased aircraft production came about because Germany was already looking ahead to the next war - the war against Britain and the USA. All those extra aircraft came in handy anyway, but Milch probably didn't expect them to be defending the Reich against USAAF and RAF bombers
I’d like to disagree with you a little here. The range of the Me-109 and the emphasis on fighter aircraft over bombers (compared to earlier production) in Milch’s production plans indicate to me that Germany was preparing to hunker down for a war of attrition against British and US bombers. Tooze (p.582) points out that the order for more He-111 bombers was a horrifying prospect for the Luftwaffe pilots as the plane was considered unfit for use over Britain even at night – it’s unlikely that Milch was unaware of this and so one wonders whether he had abandoned any thoughts of bombing Britain into submission in favour of at least having an aircraft which could be used in support of Heer operations. Add in to this plans for substantial investment in the navy and I get the impression that the idea may well have been to fortify Europe for a war of attrition while trying to starve Britain out and/or striking out to link up with the Japanese via India.

Certainly quantity seemed to be the only priority with the prospect of war with the US approaching ever closer, although even in the absence of actual war with the US the plans of summer and autumn 1941 were drawn up in the knowledge that Britain had just received the equivalent of 2 years spending on the Wehrmacht via a loan from the US, in addition to the 12-18 months which it had spent by using its foreign reserves.

Tooze is rather wicked to point out the role of Speer (and Messerschmitt) in derailing plans for mass production of the jet aircraft (p.621). One wonders at how worried Willy must have been when asked to produce this new aeroplane which he had been claiming as ‘nearly being ready’ since the late 1930s, and one can imagine Speer grabbing the opportunity to intrigue against the only real rival left in the domestic armaments spheres and placing Messerschmitt in his debt. In fairness to both Speer and Messerschmitt, Tooze does point out that no matter the obstructions, the engines weren’t ready and wouldn’t be ready for even limited production until summer 1944, which would mean that any attempt to mass produce the 262 would have led to lots of airframes standing idle until engine production caught up.

As for the Luftwaffe absorbing 40% of Germany's war effort, I recall seeing a similar (but unsubstantiated) figure for the RAF. Then again, Göring's interest as Four Year Plan tsar can be hard to seperate from his interests as head of the Luftwaffe. I'd love to see how much of German synthfuel went to the Luftwaffe and how much went to the Heer, for example.
Tooze gives the following percentages in his download Arming the Reich (available free from his website) :

Britain:

1941   1942   1944
Ministry of Supply (Army)            37    40.7   36.5
Ministry of Aircraft Production      39.5  37     43.1   
Admiralty                            23.4  22.3   20.4 	
(Table 6, citing M. Harrison, A Volume Index of the total munitions output of the UK, 1939-1944, Economic History Review 4 (1990), 657-666)

Table 4 gives German percentages from Wagenfuehr which confirms that Luftwaffe spending was roughly 40% throughout the war.

The distribution of synthetic fuel is something I’ve not seen. Would it perhaps be covered in Birkenfeld’s Der synthetische Treibstoff? I’ve not got access to that work but perhaps someone with access to a German language library or who owns the book can perhaps comment. I seem to recollect 1941 figures of 1 million tons of aviation fuel being produced (Tooze?) with plans to increase to 1.5 million tons.

Goering’s role in the armaments industry is intriguing. Officially, Speer was Goering’s representative in the armaments industry. My gut feeling is that there would be little room for playing inter-service games with the fuel supplies – especially the high octane required for aviation fuel.

I’d best leave it there!

All the best,
Zeb

---------
I just wonder if Tooze allows some double standards to creep in for he describes (according to statements above) the Bf 109 an obsolete design and surely it should follow that he rates Soviet fighters the same way. After all, if the practical in-the-field performance (achieved by average production airframes vs. ideal figures quoted by some pro-Soviet authors) of the Bf 109 is considered obsolete, that of the Lagg-3s, Mig-3s, La-5s, Yaks and so on is über-obsolete.
Just to add to what Jon G has said, Tooze points out that Soviet industry managed to go for quantity one year earlier than German industry. He comments this was not a failure on Germany’s part but a ‘success’ for Soviet industry. Both countries were ruthless in their industrial production drives with regards to the human cost and so ‘success’ in this context is somewhat qualified.
As Jon says, Tooze does not really comment on Soviet aircraft although I personally would tend to agree with your assessment of the implications. One could get further support for your line of thought from the amount of day-fighter aces made on the Eastern front versus the Western front and the difficulty Eastern aces had when transferred to face the Western allies’ fighter aircraft. This would seem to be also borne out by Murray’s descriptions of the airwar on the Eastern front. However, I know next to nothing about Soviet aircraft and their performance and I’ve yet to read Harrison’s work on the Soviet war economy to place the German economy in perspective.
The point about the 109G is that by the stage of the war when the effects of mass producing it were starting to really show results, it was little match for the western Allies fighters The decision to mass produce it had been taken in Autumn 1941 and by 1943/44 (when the maximum efficiencies had been reached) the 109 was just no longer viable as a combat aircraft in anything but straightline speed.
Tooze’s comments on the 109’s combat effectiveness (specifically the Gustav) are based on the testing carried out and reported by Col.Carson in ‘Best of Breed’, Airpower, 1976, 6, 4.

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 20 Jul 2007, 21:12

Hi again Zeb,

I will skate over some of your points in this reply - following the adage that snippage equals agreement :) I've also taken the liberty again and edited your table inside the [cod e] tags, above. The secret is to defy your instincts and use the space button for indents, rather than the tab button. It is unfortunate that the forum format is so unfriendly to tabulation, but the Wordpad->table made with single indents->code tags approach works, although it is rather fiddly to use.
Zebedee wrote: ...
Motor Vehicles
True, but the German vehicle inventory was in a terrible state on November 1st 1941 due to the autumn mud period....

Fair point about the state of the Ostheer on 1/11/41. However, I'm not certain whether or not one can solely blame the mud for this. There is a tendency when talking about the Heer to play up the effect of 'uncontrollable' variables and downplay all others (eg bad command decisions, being outfought). Perhaps this is a legacy of the biographies of the senior German commanders after the war? I’m not doubting that the mud added to the problems and certainly would have caused logjams and shortages but I do wonder whether it has been used as a ‘deus ex machina’ to explain more fundamental underlying faults.
I agree with you that the legacy of German generals' post-war memoirs is a factor that may very well exaggerate the effects of the 1941 autumn mud. The underlying accusation, which is rarely fully spelled out, is of course that any sane general would have attacked Russia already in May, which would have left ample time to reach Moscow and beat the Soviets decisively before the weather unfairly bogged down the offensive.

However, my argument that Nov 1 1941 represents a low point in German vehicle strength on the East Front does not really endorse that point of view - I don't think Glantz has much time for German generals' memoirs (but correct me if I'm wrong!); he has just chosen a point in time when German strength was at its lowest since Barbarossa began. The German logistics services also lost vehicles at alarming rates in largely non-muddy France, Belgium and Holland in 1940. The main difference is not one of weather, but rather one of time, because the Russian campaign dragged on for longer than Wehrmacht planners had allowed for.
To illustrate this, I'd like to draw a comparison between the Russian campaign and the French campaign. According to Glantz (p.156/7), on 1/11/41 Panzer divisions were at 35% strength. According to Murray (p.39), the French campaign cost Germany 30% of its frontline tank strength. So in a campaign lasting roughly twice as long, the Germans had taken just over twice as many tank losses. So as far as tanks are concerned, the mud really didn’t have that much of an impact. I appreciate that the difference between tracked and wheeled forms of vehicle means a great deal in such circumstances, but I find it hard to reconcile with some of the quotations which you have provided demanding substantial motor vehicle requisitions after relatively short periods of time even in the French campaign.
Well, I don't think you can take the comparison between tanks and generic motor vehicles very far. Tank strengths probably fluctuate at least as much as truck strengths do, but tanks are also combat vehicles, which get shot up in combat frequently. Therefore, tank losses may say something about the duration of the campaign, but they also say something about the intensity of opposition encountered.
Perhaps the QM staff were basing their predictions on a formula with a set time period in mind? As a blanket statement, 30% inoperative would imply that spare parts were the main problem and I wonder whether the Heer was suffering as much as the Luftwaffe did in this regard? Murray makes much of how instead of 20 to 30 % of industrial capacity being devoted to spares (p.14) almost no industrial capacity was used for this. This allowed for an increase in frontline strength but no ‘staying’ ability...
Well yes, but the 30% of trucks assumed to be out of operations applied at all times as I understand it from van Creveld, under all circumstances - so no time frame element in the calculation as I understand it. But perhaps I've read too much into the 30%

Regarding your second point, yes, the Luftwaffe cooked the books by cutting back on spares production in order to increase apparent strength. There are some insights to be gained from the USSBS aircraft industry report I recall a similar point being made about German tanks. On a related note, it's important to remember that the greatly increasing German aircraft production in 1943/1944 is overwhelmingly made up of single-engined types measured by weight or by number of engines the Luftwaffe production increase isn't as impressive as it may appear at first glance.
...I briefly skimmed Tooze over the weekend to refresh my memory. One thing really struck me with regards to horses. P.212 gives some details of Fromm’s 1936 mobilisation plans. For a force of c.102 divisions (roughly 12 armoured and fully or partially motorised), Fromm set out 120,000 trucks (most to be requisitioned from civilian purposes) and 630,700 horses. It makes for an intriguing (albeit rough) comparison with the Ostheer of 1941.
Well, the ~1175 vehicles per division correspond rather well with early Wellen German division vehicle establishments. The vehicle to horse relationship seems to have improved greatly by the time of Barbarossa, no doubt due to vehicle requisitions from occupied Europe.
Trains and transportation

Your general point stands, though. The German Reichsbahn were in a pretty run-down state already prior to the war - one thing was servicing an economy running at full speed from re-armament; chronic under-investment actually meant that the stock of rail cars and locomotives was falling through the 1930s
Glantz’s exact words are ‘Moreover, the successful evacuation of the Soviet railroads forced the Germans to commit 2,500 locomotives and 200,000 railcards to support the troops in the east’ (p.65). He cites Klaus Reinhardt, Moscow: The Turning Point in the only note in that paragraph...
Some digging in Hans Potgiesser's book Die deutsche Reichsbahn im Ostfeldzug yielded these numbers:

German rail statistics, Jan. 1st 1943

RVD+FEK      Reich       Gedob
Length of lines in km         34,979       78,675       7,111

Staff                        615,455    1,415,869     128,379

-of which German             104,899                  c.7,000

Daily train-km               398,408    3,003,806     238,060

Tägl. Wagenstellung*          13,012      157,572       3,625

Locomotives (serviceable)      4,671       28,630       2,088

---
Terminology: RVD: Reichsverkehrdirektion; railway admin centers. There were RVDs at Riga, Minsk, Kiev, Dnjepro and Rostov. FEK: Feldeisenbahnkommando; field railroad command. FEKs 2,3,4 and 5 operated in the east. Gedob: Generaldirektion der Ostbahn; general directorate of the eastern (=Polish/Generalgouvernement) railroads; HQ in Krakow. Reich: Greater Germany.

* Unfortunately I do not know what 'Tägl. Wagenstellung' means - it's a technical term which as far as I can tell can either mean 'number of wagons available on a given day', or it can mean 'number of wagon-loads carried per day' Comments/corrections are very welcome!
...Glantz in fact seems to be understating the number of train engines deployed in the east (also keeping in mind that the above statistics represent a later date) but the number of wagons he gives seems very big to me, particularly when you consider that DRB Reich had about six times as many train engines as the German railways in the east had. With the same proportions, that should mean 1.2 million rail cars in greater Germany, which is too high a number.

I've included the staff numbers because they suggest that the Polish/Generalgouvernement part of the German rail system was more or less identical with the pre-war Polish rail net, and most of the rail stock was probably captured. Potgiesser unfortunately does not give any numbers for captured rail stock used in the east, but he does prosaically state that hiring local staff (particularly Ukrainians) for the eastern railroads was no problem because workers with the railroads were entitled to heavy workers' rations.

A related document is this paper, showing Heer loot from the east from 22 June to 1 November 1941

I am indebted to my moderator colleague Qvist for very kindly making this document available to me.

...of particular note are the 2,237 captured rail wagons and 231 locomotives. Captured rail stock would only have been of limited use on Jan 1st 1943 because the Soviet rail gauge was different from the German rail gauge, but they would probably still have been useful on November 1st 1941, when the railroad troops were still panting to catch up with the German advances.

The document also lists 17,033 panje waggons and no less than 235,239 captured horses - that is, more than twice as many horses as were confiscated in France and Benelux over a roughly similar timespan the year before.

Here's a rail related thread:

Deutsche Reichsbahn [DRB]
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=82145
...Food
I didn’t want to say oranges, but I’d kind of assumed that it would be them. ;) Interestingly Tooze says ‘In Spain, the situation over the winter of 1940-41 approached famine conditions and the inability of Germany to guarantee sufficient grain supplies was a major factor in persuading Franco not to declare war on the German side’ (p.744, note 94 citing Hernandes-Sandoica and Moradiellos, ‘Spain and the Second World War’, 1939-1945’, in Wylie{ed}, European Neutrals and Non-belligerents During the Second World War, p.241-59.)
As I’ve not read the essay in question, although I’ve placed an order with the British Library for the book today, it’s hard to say whether the argument that Franco placed his demands deliberately too high or not is also one of the issues which should be considered as being up for revision.
Well, Franco has his apologists too, and Hitler may have had his own reasons for over-stating Franco's price for entering the war as an active belligerent on the Axis side. But the LoN harvest figures which I posted earlier seem to support Tooze's point - the 1940 Spanish harvest is lower than both the 1939 and 1941 harvests.

That’s a reasonable point but one which seems to be persistently ignored in the literature on World War 2. The economic blockade imposed by Britain on the Grossraum had devastating consequences. However, I’m not certain whether the key problem is one of war cancelling normal market functions or that a particularly ruthless regime decided that the only way to last out a long war was to starve everyone else first. Perhaps this was one of the key lessons ‘learnt’ by the Nazis from WW1? That the home front must be secured and the key to this was ensuring adequate supplies of food. And with a net food deficit, this meant taking food away from other countries whether or not this meant starvation for the rest of Europe.
Oh, there is no question that the Nazis wanted to starve their Grossraum to varying degrees in order to secure more food supplies for themselves. I was simply addressing the usefulness (or non-usefulness, as the case may be) because rationing will affect the self-sufficiency figures which I posted, above.
Just as a sample overview of ration levels in German occupied areas in 1940/41 (calories per day only so protein/fat etc deficiencies are not shown but ought also to be considered), Tooze (scattered throughout the book cf the appendix under 'food rationing’) gives the following:
German soldier: 4000
German civilian: 2570
Norwegian: 1600
Czech: 1600
Belgian: 1300
French: 1300
Pole (General Government): 609 (later 938)
Polish Jew (General Government): 503 (later 369)
Belorussian Jew: 420
Here is another food thread:

Rationing
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=750630

It's worth noting that daily calories as expressed by what people would be entitled to with their ration cards do not
necessarily reflect actual calorie intake - wherever there is rationing, there is a black market too. In turn, if food stocks are relatively abundant, the black market will usually trade in food stamps, whereas the black market will trade in the commodities themselves if food is scarcer than expressed in daily calorie rations.

(Good stuff snipped)
Aeroplanes...
It is rather shocking. And one can add in the impact of the blockade to this impression, which one gets in most works on WW2, of ‘minimal impact’. Tooze does point out that the RAF hit the right target almost by mistake in severing the Ruhr from the Reich. The graph on p.600 (figure 22), which shows a counterfactual progression of the German armaments industry, is very persuasive. It also supports the contemporary documents of the likes of Speer and their reports on the impact on German industry. There is definitely room for a revisionist work solely on this issue which takes up the baton from Neilland and Tooze to examine again the impact of Bomber Command. The issue of bombing has been very much muddied by the likes of Irving over the past few decades and it would be nice to see it placed within a strategic context with a broader overview than I’ve yet read.
I believe there are also some Speer quotes around to the effect that if the USAAF had carried on bombing German ball bearing factories (the Schweinfurt raids, which also incurred heavy losses on the USAAF), then Germany's war effort would soon have been doomed. But then both Speer and Tooze, in agreement for once, go on to critisize the Allied air forces' failure to keep up the pressure, instead moving on to other targets.
Well, yes, but Tooze's (& Murray's) argument seems to be that the greatly increased aircraft production came about because Germany was already looking ahead to the next war - the war against Britain and the USA. All those extra aircraft camein handy anyway, but Milch probably didn't expect them to be defending the Reich against USAAF and RAF bombers
I’d like to disagree with you a little here. The range of the Me-109 and the emphasis on fighter aircraft over bombers
(compared to earlier production) in Milch’s production plans indicate to me that Germany was preparing to hunker down for a war of attrition against British and US bombers. Tooze (p.582) points out that the order for more He-111 bombers was a horrifying prospect for the Luftwaffe pilots as the plane was considered unfit for use over Britain even at night – it’s unlikely that Milch was unaware of this and so one wonders whether he had abandoned any thoughts of bombing Britain into submission in favour of at least having an aircraft which could be used in support of Heer operations...
Well, I think that Milch cut a number of corners in order to increase aircraft production, which by the way is quite congruent with the reduced production of spares, addressed above. The He-177 heavy bomber held little promise in 1941, with many technical faults to iron out. The Me-210 had proven to be an expensive failure because a year had been cut off its development time, a risk that had paid off with the Ju-88 according to Tooze. I think Milch simply settled for good enough aircraft in great numbers next year, instead of a new generation of aircraft several years down the pipeline, irrespective of how the air war against Britain and the USA might develop.

(Good stuff snipped again)
...The distribution of synthetic fuel is something I’ve not seen. Would it perhaps be covered in Birkenfeld’s Der synthetische Treibstoff? I’ve not got access to that work but perhaps someone with access to a German language library or who owns the book can perhaps comment. I seem to recollect 1941 figures of 1 million tons of aviation fuel being produced (Tooze?) with plans to increase to 1.5 million tons...
I don't know about the distribution of synthfuel either. It would be interesting to know. I'll try and hunt down the title you give. In the meantime, here is an intersting page about The Role of Synthetic Fuel
In World War II Germany

...by 1943/44 (when the maximum efficiencies had been reached) the 109 was just no longer viable as a combat aircraft in anything but straightline speed. Tooze’s comments on the 109’s combat effectiveness (specifically the Gustav) are based on the testing carried out and reported by Col.Carson in ‘Best of Breed’, Airpower, 1976, 6, 4.
There is a thread about Col. Carson's evaluation of the Bf-109 here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=97075 unfortunately that thread turned too hot for comfort so it is now locked, but it's still useful as a reference.
Last edited by Jon G. on 21 Jul 2007, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

LWD

Post by LWD » 20 Jul 2007, 21:28

Jon G. wrote:....
It's worth noting that daily calories as expressed by what people would be entitled to with their ration cards do not
necessarily reflect actual calorie intake - wherever there is rationing, there is a black market too. In turn, if food stocks are relatively abundant, the black market will usually trade in food stamps, whereas the black market will trade in the commodities themselves if food is scarcer than expressed in daily calorie rations.
Depending on how it's enforced rationing may also not capture subsistance food raising/gathering. It is likely to be closer for cities than rural areas and/or coastal areas with accessable food stocks. The official attidtude toward such is probably important as well.

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 20 Jul 2007, 21:54

Absolutely. In times of food scarcity the countryside is a much better place to live. Most governments encouraged self-subsistence. This British WW2-era poster makes the point quite well.

MicMac

Post by MicMac » 21 Jul 2007, 07:58

Jon G. wrote:Quoting from this post by Andreas

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 06#1065606
3,050,000 men
625,000 horses
600,000 motorised vehicles including armoured reconnaissance (PSW)
3,350 tanks (excluding PSW) ...
...it is perhaps prudent to revise the common image of the horse-plodding Wehrmacht trotting through Russia? I'm somewhat surprised at the quantity of motor vehicles (which is not the topic of this thread anyway), but the horse:motor vehicle relationship should teach us something about German strategic choices and capabilities?

After all, the DAK which was motoring around in Libya at the same time didn't include a single equine in its tables of organization and equipment as far as I know. I think it is fair to say that the Wehrmacht could have deployed more motor vehicles and fewer horses for Barbarossa if they had wanted to. To me, the decision to concentrate motor vehicles in relatively few Panzer/motorized units, while also spreading those specialized units over two continents, says everything about the German decision to conduct a swift campaign against the USSR, and nothing about the capacity of the German/occupied European motor industry.

From Lone Sentry's collection of intelligence bulletins, here is an article about German Horse Cavalry and Transport
But which moves better in snow hey? a horse or a motor vehicle? My money is on the horse moving considerably faster through snow, so perhaps the seemingly excessive use of horses does not symbolise the speed they wanter, perhaps it shows that the Germans knew they would end up fighting in Russia during winter, and bringing suitable transport was their way of preparing. Remember the Blitzkrieg did not just rely on defeating enemies quickly, it also relied on moving very quickly. Look at the size of Russia, it was always going to take a very long time to conquer, moving quickly around it was key to capturing it. It just turns out that this was not enough.

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 21 Jul 2007, 10:58

The German plans are well known, there is no need for idle speculation. They planned on a rapid campaign. To speculate that the use of horses was a design feature for a long campaign just shows lack of knowledge about the German planning at the start of the campaign.

As to who moves better in snow between German horses and trucks. Neither. Many German horses died when exposed to sub-zero temperatures, and what limited mobility there was had to be gained by using native Panje horses.

All the best

Andreas

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”