Re: Age of those executed for desertion

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Annelie

Re: Age of those executed for desertion

Post by Annelie » 22 Dec 2002 20:28

In the thread below about deserters I read about two sixteen year olds
that deserted and gave themselves up only to be killed by the village.

Two sixteen years olds murdered then.......... but today when sixteen year olds commit murder, robbery etc. they are considered too young to pay for their crimes other than jail time.

As an female I find so many things hard to rationalize even if it was war.
Not old enough too execute for murder today but old enough to kill if they desert in war? SAD......

Annelie

haoster

Total war

Post by haoster » 22 Dec 2002 22:24

Hi Annalie,

Read my other post concerning Stalin's policies toward his own troops, and civilians. Is it possible that by this brutality, the willingness to involve females in combat roles, and labor support units, to endure greater privations, that the Soviets demonstrated greater resolve than the Fuhrerprinzip?

I'm reminded of the medieval crime of heresy, for which it was much worse to have joined the Catholic church, and deserted, then never to have joined at all. Although, WWII was not a "holy war," its focus on race and ethnicity created equivalent emotion.

Marcel1975

Post by Marcel1975 » 22 Dec 2002 23:41

Reminds me of the Barry McGuire song "eve of destruction":

"you're old enough to kill, but not for voting"

Scott Smith

Re: Total war

Post by Scott Smith » 22 Dec 2002 23:48

haoster wrote:Although, WWII was not a "holy war," its focus on race and ethnicity created equivalent emotion.
The Good War was certainly a "Holy War" for Anglo-Saxons and Jews; they were fighting against Evil itself, for world supremacy.
:)

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”