German War Cemeteries in the former USSR

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Peter
Financial supporter

German War Cemeteries in the former USSR

Post by Peter » 26 Dec 2002, 15:26

I know that German war cemeteries are being re-built and that graves are being re-marked (aided by excellent records of 60 years ago) in a German/Russian partnership.

Has anybody seen, on the web, a site which gives progress reports for the various projects.

I think that given the suffering it was not surprising (but still wrong) that the German cemeteries were bull-dozed flat by the NKVD type troops but I am very pleased to think that ordinary soldiers will have a grave to record them.

Pete
Attachments
eichner.jpg
eichner.jpg (98.31 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

Eistir

Post by Eistir » 29 Dec 2002, 16:22

German cemeteries were bull-dozed flat by the NKVD type troops

Not only,near of Narva in Jöhvi they(commies of course) was building children playng place on the grave of Georg Sooden,estonian major who falled in Narva battles,so people cant bring the flovers.In Tallinn they was just digging up germans from hero cemetary and replaced them with some dead commies.Right now hero cemetary is builded up again, (believe it or not thanks to german goverment) so is the memorial place for Georg Sooden.

Eistir

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 29 Dec 2002, 16:51

Were the Germans re-buried nearby ?
cheers
Pete

Timo

Post by Timo » 29 Dec 2002, 17:16

Sadly enough Konrad Eichner's grave is not listed in the database of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 29 Dec 2002, 18:13

Hi Timo
Yes that is why I picked him as an example,
I believe that his grave may eventually be recorded as this program of registration and cemetery rebuilding goes on.
cheers
Pete

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”