Greatest German Commander

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Raf

Greatest German Commander

Post by Raf » 10 Apr 2002, 15:57

[Moved from the Polls section]

Who was the greatst German commander. Who was the most talented in stratigic and tactical skills. Who had the best relationship with his officers and man and was most respected by his superiors and soldiers ?

Fred

Post by Fred » 10 Apr 2002, 18:50

My guess is Rommel that had the best relationship with his officers and man, and was most respected by his superiors and soldiers.

I think he even ate the same rations as his soldiers to evaliuate their combat status.

Galahad

Re: Greatest commander

Post by Galahad » 10 Apr 2002, 18:53

He's not on the list, and he never truly was given the chance to command on a level equal to his ability--due to being a devout Catholic and not being a Nazi--but I'd vote for von Senger und Etterlin. Kesselring is given the credit for the Italian Campaign of 43-45, but the man who conducted it was von Senger; Kesselring knew his ability, even if others didn't.
His career was remarkable, even in an army filled with men who had remarkable careers.

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 10 Apr 2002, 19:09

Fred wrote:My guess is Rommel that had the best relationship with his officers and man, and was most respected by his superiors and soldiers.

I think he even ate the same rations as his soldiers to evaliuate their combat status.
Dietrich (not on the list) did the same thing, im not sure if he ate with them all the time though.

MICHAELM82

Post by MICHAELM82 » 10 Apr 2002, 21:30

Have to go with Dietrich if he was on the list!Anyways I picked Rommel.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 10 Apr 2002, 21:58

As with these polls that seem to come up every month I think many people pick their favorite over the actual best. Who was the best? Well I think that would be hard to say, but I do not think it would be Rommel, if I chose it would be Manstein. Was a brilliant commander.

Scanderbeg

Post by Scanderbeg » 10 Apr 2002, 22:40

Fred wrote:My guess is Rommel that had the best relationship with his officers and man, and was most respected by his superiors and soldiers.
Weel I'm not sure that he was respected that much by his superiors. We all know how he died.

But anyways I picked Rommel.

Regards, Besian.

Raf

Post by Raf » 11 Apr 2002, 09:10

I'm happy that the discussion leads to the reactions, added already. From the start, I knew it would be difficult to make a choice. The main reason I asked this question was to have a discussion about the talents of this commanders and their relationship with superiors and men.

Raf

Post by Raf » 11 Apr 2002, 09:27

Caldric wrote:As with these polls that seem to come up every month I think many people pick their favorite over the actual best. Who was the best? Well I think that would be hard to say, but I do not think it would be Rommel, if I chose it would be Manstein. Was a brilliant commander.
Many historians named him the most talented of all German generals and fieldmarshalls. He was, it seems, a very intelligent man with a bright strategic view.
Last edited by Raf on 12 Apr 2002, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

Der Schwarze Ritter

best commander

Post by Der Schwarze Ritter » 11 Apr 2002, 09:27

I saw the series Hitler's Generals on the History Channel and Von Manstein impressed me the most.

-Daniel-

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 11 Apr 2002, 19:31

Many historians named him the most talented of all German generals and fieldmarshalls. I was, it seems, a very intelligent man with a bright strategic view.
Yes he was great I do not doubt that, Germany was gifted with many great commanders.

jan willem stokkers

Hausser....

Post by jan willem stokkers » 11 Apr 2002, 20:26

because finally some one said NO and thit not listen to Hitler (the worse strategist the world has ever known). His man meant more to him than his own owth to his so cald superior (gefreiter) and Hausser had a superior counter attack to Kharkov. The most brilliant attack everknown.

I have great respect for men who dare to say NO, nowhing they risked there life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jan willem

Scanderbeg

Re: Hausser....

Post by Scanderbeg » 12 Apr 2002, 03:40

jan willem stokkers wrote:...not listen to Hitler (the worse strategist the world has ever known)...
If Hitler was the worst strategist the world has ever seen how could he possibly accomplish what he did? Now, I am pretty sure hi made a lot of mistakes but that's just the human way of doing things.
Please think more when you post something.

p.s. No offense, please.

kellysartin

Post by kellysartin » 12 Apr 2002, 07:18

the best? Manstein of course. my hearts favorite is Paulus. what about Reichenau? too bad a reputation ? i liked Hausser too, but i thought that was a rather odd comment. Hausser was S.S. S.S. men did not swear loyalty to the party, or to the German state. WHO , specifically, did S.S. men swear unqualified loyalty to? come to think of it, the S.S. had the simplest oath i have ever seen , just a few words. and i do think all this Hitler is a dummy stuff is really odd. without Hitler there was no wermacht, no Tigers or panthers or stukas. no knights crosses or german crosses in gold, no wolf packs, no Focke-wulfs, no stalingrad, citadel, or kharkov. no cossacks in german grey or bosnians in fezes. no Me 323's , no Hindinburg, no V-2's. and of course, no Third reich forum. 2,000 years from now, who do you honestly think is going to be remembered from the 20th century? the little corporal should have been on the list. if he had been, he would have of course been the only logical or rational choice.

mike262752

Re: Hausser....

Post by mike262752 » 12 Apr 2002, 07:29

Scanderbeg88 wrote:
jan willem stokkers wrote:...not listen to Hitler (the worse strategist the world has ever known)...
If Hitler was the worst strategist the world has ever seen how could he possibly accomplish what he did? Now, I am pretty sure hi made a lot of mistakes but that's just the human way of doing things.
Please think more when you post something.

p.s. No offense, please.
While saying he was the worst is an over statment. He certainley did not help his cause. Look at all the mistakes he made. Holding back the tanks on the western front before the Allied invasion being one big one. Screwing with the Me 262 is another, the list goes on. He always had to have the final say in everything and that cost him big.

If he would have stayed out of the military doings, or at least listened to his Generals once in a while, the war might have had a diffrent out come.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”