Greatest German Commander

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 12 Apr 2002, 07:32

kellysartin wrote:without Hitler there was no wermacht, no Tigers or panthers or stukas. no knights crosses or german crosses in gold, no wolf packs, no Focke-wulfs, no stalingrad, citadel, or kharkov. no cossacks in german grey or bosnians in fezes. no Me 323's , no Hindinburg, no V-2's. and of course, no Third reich forum.
your forgetting one thing, no war.

kellysartin

Post by kellysartin » 12 Apr 2002, 08:05

hmm, what? are Tigers for pulling volkswagens out of ditches? what do armies do, cater parties? if i'm to list all the goodies Hitler was responsible for, it will take 600 years. if you are being sarcastic, i think it's rather lame. everybody claims they don't like war. like they claim they don't like the clapp. funny thing is though, the cure is very simple.... and i'll see you in the trenches and in the whorehouse tommorow i'm sure! :D

Raf

Re: Hausser....

Post by Raf » 12 Apr 2002, 08:42

mike262752 wrote:
Scanderbeg88 wrote:
jan willem stokkers wrote:...not listen to Hitler (the worse strategist the world has ever known)...
If Hitler was the worst strategist the world has ever seen how could he possibly accomplish what he did? Now, I am pretty sure hi made a lot of mistakes but that's just the human way of doing things.
Please think more when you post something.

p.s. No offense, please.
While saying he was the worst is an over statment. He certainley did not help his cause. Look at all the mistakes he made. Holding back the tanks on the western front before the Allied invasion being one big one. Screwing with the Me 262 is another, the list goes on. He always had to have the final say in everything and that cost him big.

If he would have stayed out of the military doings, or at least listened to his Generals once in a while, the war might have had a diffrent out come.
I agree. Not one of his generals was convinced that starting a war against Russia was a good idea.

kellysartin

Post by kellysartin » 12 Apr 2002, 09:44

they said LATER. :?

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 12 Apr 2002, 22:46

kellysartin wrote:hmm, what? are Tigers for pulling volkswagens out of ditches? what do armies do, cater parties? if i'm to list all the goodies Hitler was responsible for, it will take 600 years. if you are being sarcastic, i think it's rather lame. everybody claims they don't like war. like they claim they don't like the clapp. funny thing is though, the cure is very simple.... and i'll see you in the trenches and in the whorehouse tommorow i'm sure! :D
Maybe im stupid but I dont understand what your talking about. :|

JohnRayTaylor

Post by JohnRayTaylor » 13 Apr 2002, 11:18

I voted for Rommel but I am sad to see that no Waffen-SS generals were on the list. I would have voted for Dietrich or Hausser.
JohnRayTaylor

Victor

Post by Victor » 13 Apr 2002, 11:45

What about von Manteuffel? Why did you left him out?

Al Carter

Manstein...easy choice.

Post by Al Carter » 16 Apr 2002, 20:20

Manstein gets my vote. He should have had the control of the whole Eastern Front, at the minimum allowed to conduct plans in the south as he saw fit.

Manteuffel should not be overlooked even though he is many times. Just look at Targul Frumos and Seelow Heights...defensive battles even though he was known for his offensive skills. He would have made FM before too long had the war lasted.

Al Carter

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 19 Apr 2002, 03:12

commander at what level ?

At FM rank: Manstein (for tactics)
Armee Group as commander's highest post: Heinrici
corps: to many for me to list
divisional level (Army) Manteuffel

Waffen-SS:

corps level as a leader: Hausser and Dietrich (though briefly had higher commands)

corps level in tactics: Walter Krüger, Herbert Gille, and Georg Keppler

division level: Baum, Wisch, Kraas, Harmel, Kumm

Mark

MVSNConsolegenerale

Why Rommel...

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 23 Apr 2002, 09:48

I picked Rommel just because he had the most surprising victories against the Allies in Africa. Also, his failures were due to Hitler not understanding his position.....

But so can be said of any of the german generals. Paulus was very underestimated....

Also, Rommel was one of the few generals with enough guts to go up against hitler....on the field that is....

Mark V.

Difficult one

Post by Mark V. » 23 Apr 2002, 20:57

It was a tough one but I chose Model over von Manstein.
Firstly because no one voted for him so far, and
Secondly because he was just a really good commander a master of his profession. He really showed his skills in the difficult battles at Rzhew in 1942 and in Northeren and Central fronts in 1944 and not to forget the Western Front in late 1944.

I would also like to know why so many of you consider Dietrich as a good commander.

Waffen SS: I would also add Stadler to the Mark Yerger's divisional level commanders.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 23 Apr 2002, 21:43

What about Herman Hoth, the greatest exponent of armoured warfare.IMHO

houndie

Post by houndie » 14 May 2002, 01:23

before answering i want one thing: for someone to put in Felix Steiner, who did a lot of good with the "Wiking" division. He also commanded the Blue mountain (sinimäe) battles, destroyed practically a 10 times stronger russian army (3 times more people, 6 times more equipment, the end of the war, russia had better equipment too, he had no heavy tanks against the russian Jossif Stalins).
Of course, i don't really know, what did Rommel actually achieve. What did Manstein win? I should read more books , but could someone tell me all of these generals achievements now? I am not so patient as to search the answer to one question from an entire book and this is for one man, there are... almost 8 more great generals.

Felix is the only one, whose achievements i can really talk about now, someone HELP!
War is a matter of vital importance to the state. Hence, it is imperative that it be studied thoroughly - sun tzu
The truth of world war should be documented and it should not be treated as nazi propaganda.

Galahad

Re: best general

Post by Galahad » 14 May 2002, 03:35

It's curious that no one selected Heinz Guderian.

GFM2000

Post by GFM2000 » 21 May 2002, 07:01

"The Fuhrer is the greatest commander of all time". Period.

by : ReichMarshall Goering and Field Marshal Keitel

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”