Feldpost to encircled troops?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
kriegserinnerungen

Feldpost to encircled troops?

Post by kriegserinnerungen » 08 Jan 2003 09:41

Hi,

I have a set of fieldpost letters from a german luftwaffe member called "Heinrich Hose" dating from the end of 1942 until 1947. (american prisoners of war camp)

Still there is one question which is troubling me for some time. He wrote a letter on the 5th January 1945 from St. Nazaire. This place was encircled by allied troops and this can be read in the letter. He was at a field hospital at that time.
My questions:

1) He wrote that they recently got a dropping by luftwaffe planes (cigarettes, ammunition,...), how could those german planes get that far in France for a dropping? How could this fieldpost letter get to Germany?

Any responses would be very welcome.

Greetings

Kristof

don1

Heinrich Hose

Post by don1 » 09 Jan 2003 18:34

It is possible that he received mail from France. Certainly Henkel's were still supplying the Channel Islands from Germany up to March 1945. After that date Red Cross ships visited with mail and esssential goods.

kriegserinnerungen

Post by kriegserinnerungen » 09 Jan 2003 19:25

Thanks for that supply, still I think it is very amazing that german encirled troops (by allies) got supplies like ammunition that late in the war (6 january 1945!!! in Western France) It must have been very dangerous for those supply planes, nearly suicide to do that kind of mission...

don1

Heinrich Hose

Post by don1 » 09 Jan 2003 19:42

How did you get hold of the mail? What his main concern at that time? And did he make any mention of five German POWs escaping from Granville to the occupied Channel Islands?

kriegserinnerungen

Post by kriegserinnerungen » 09 Jan 2003 21:34

Well, I got the set of letters from a german man... with original photos and negatives of the soldier. It's very curious to read the content, as in 1943 he's very optimistic about the war. But as time passes, he becomes more agressive in the letters, and tells his wife that everybody at home should aid the war effort. And that everybody should stay strong for the sake of the holy motherland. His last "front" letter, as i mentioned, was written from a war-hospital in st-nazaire in Western France 5th January 1945. there he writes how he was injured, that they (the wounded) got lots of cigarettes, chocolate,... for newyear. This war droppen by the luftwaffe. Still, he doesn't mentione the german pow escape. The following letter from this guy is at the end of that year, and is a POW letter to his family...

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”