Stalingrad

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
captain_wright

Stalingrad

Post by captain_wright » 05 Mar 2009 03:55

What was the german plan fur capturing the city of Stalingrad and was the plan flawed in any way?

JDW

Hiedi
Banned

Re: Stalingrad

Post by Hiedi » 05 Mar 2009 07:25

Hello there.

The over all German plan is to take certain cities important in the flow of oil and supply lines,and easy axcess for the german equitment and troops.
The plan was flawed cause the Germans never manage to do so before the very worst wintry wheather that ran though Russia.
There's much more to this, but i don't have the knowleage.

jerimiah

Post by jerimiah » 05 Mar 2009 15:15

the germans plan was to overall capture the city. it had one of two remaining ports where the germans could get their tanks and troops across the volga,i cant remember where the other one was exactly. it would also if captured be a morale blow to the soviets. (if i am correct)

as for flaws. it lie in the germans tactics. they relied heavily upon combined arms tactics which the soviets countered by hugging as close to the germans as possible so as they could not use artillery without killing their own troops.

try going to wikipedia for info on stalingrad or check the various post on the subject

captain_wright

Post by captain_wright » 05 Mar 2009 18:23

Wasn't the Volga River also a problem for the Germans, shouldn't they have completely encircled the city, creating a foot hold on the opposite bank of the river completely cutting off the Russian troops inside the city?

James

WOLF1
Financial supporter

Post by WOLF1 » 05 Mar 2009 19:02

Aerial bombing by the Germans did not help matters as it created a mass of rubble and favored the Russians.

Wolf1

jerimiah

Post by jerimiah » 05 Mar 2009 20:21

shouldn't they have completely encircled the city, creating a foot hold on the opposite bank of the river completely cutting off the Russian troops inside the city?
please read carefully:
the germans plan was to overall capture the city. it had one of two remaining ports where the germans could get their tanks and troops across the volga
how could the germans get across the volga if the only means of getting there were held by russian forces? and if they had created a foothold on the opposite bank of the river it means ferrying supplies to the troops on that side who would be stranded if a russian counter attack took place. besides the securing of the bank would not mean an immediate end to the fighting, you have to realize that the russians for the most part relied upon workers militia to defend an industrialized city such as stalingrad and that with the size of the city would mean thousands if not hundreds of thousands of men and women of varying ages fighting which would still take the germans at least a month of heavy fighting to wipe-out all resistance. thats if the foothold on the opposite side holds.

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 06 Mar 2009 07:42

What was the german plan fur capturing the city of Stalingrad and was the plan flawed in any way?
Have you read any books on the campaign?

mellenthin
Banned

Post by mellenthin » 06 Mar 2009 20:46

The real fllaw was that they even tried to take the city.

captain_wright

Post by captain_wright » 08 Mar 2009 17:56

I'm stuck in a wheelchar all day so reading helps pass the time, and talking to people here and on other forums!(THANKS!)
I can't find any books to read about the campaign and the local library charges a fee to locate books through other libraries.

James

captain_wright

Post by captain_wright » 09 Mar 2009 04:01

In a post above, I believe it was the second, the poster said that the German were trying to take cities important to the flow of materials needed to conduct the war, just how important was Stalingrad in this? I've always thought Hitler wanted the city destroyed because of its' name!?

James

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 09 Mar 2009 19:17

Strategically, Hitler wanted Stalingrad to be able to stop the flow of Maikop Oil and other goods from traveling up the Volga.

The Germans were not expecting tenacious resistance on the scale that they got. I think they figured they could bomb the hell out of it and then flush out, kill or capture any remaining Russians without too much trouble.

Hitler became obsessed with obliterating Stalingrad because of its name and the fact that it was a "showcase of Bolshevik prosperity". His pride kept him pouring men into the grinder long after it became obvious that the Wehrmacht was fighting at a big disadvantage. Hitler thought throughout September, October & until the Russian trap was sprung in November that he was "this close" to victory, and "one more" final push would do it.

otto ginse

Post by otto ginse » 10 Mar 2009 12:03

The problem was that two objectives was one too many and that was stalingrad.The advance towards the kaukasus was more important.

captain_wright

Post by captain_wright » 10 Mar 2009 22:31

Toward the oil fields right? What did the Germans intend to do once they got to the Volga, stop advancing?
The original plan of advance was to take the oil fields, how many troops were involved in this operation and, after Hitler divided the army how many troops were left to carry on toward the oil fields?

James

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 11 Mar 2009 11:03

The advance to Stalingrad was essentially a prerequisite for the advance down the Caucasus, in order to secure the left flank of that advance. Also, cutting the Volga route was a notable aim in itself. It was important f.e. with regard to the flow of lend/lease material arriving through Iran. And, Stalingrad was an important industrial city in its own right.

What was left for the Caucasus advance was 17th and 1st Panzer Armies. 17th Army's average Iststärke were roughly 200,000 during late summer, dropping down to the 160,000 mark by the end of the year. 1 Panzer Army steadily averaged around 150-160,000 men.

cheers

captain_wright

Post by captain_wright » 12 Mar 2009 01:33

The numbers stated by Qvist doesn't seem to be enough to do the job. How many men were in the invasion army to start with, I've heard 3 million german troops & 1 million from countries allied with them? If I remember correctly wasn't the front divided into 3 army groups?

James

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”