New article about German snipers in Normandy

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Matthew Jordan

Post by Matthew Jordan » 12 Mar 2003, 09:21

Very interesting, and informative, thanks alot
there was alot of good info in there!

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 12 Mar 2003, 10:39

Very nice article,i enjoyed.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 12 Mar 2003, 21:58

Thanks guys, it's nice to know you liked it.

Best regards/ Daniel

Beau sabreur

CHARLIE DON'T SURF..................

Post by Beau sabreur » 15 Mar 2003, 05:02

I believe I remember some months ago reading your postings in other forums requesting info about german snipers. At that time I suggested you read (if you could speak german) "Im Auge des Jägers", a new book about german snipers in Russia. As I did not see it listed in your main sources, I assume you did not read it. The book is a biography written mainly in third person under an assumed name, as the sniper wanted to remain anonymus. He writes that, while allied snipers are considered heroes, german snipers are looked upon as murderers. This is the main reason why it is rather difficult to find detailed accounts of their exploits in the battlefield. The book I mentioned is the best (perhaps the only one) book with so many details I have ever read in my life about a german sniper. The author, a young sniper of the 3rd. Gebirgsjäger Division fighting in the East Front brings you right there where the action is (and what an action!!!!), sparing no details, many really mindboggling. You will learn about the life of a simple soldier living through the most horrible battle front anyone can imagine. The type of equipment used by him and the enemy. He tells you about the horrible wounds created by the explosive ammunition used many times by russian snipers. How he started to also use a captured moisin-nagant rifle with scope and russian explosive ammunition himself, and later a K98 and "beobachtungspatronen" used to signal hits at a distance, but when hitting heads, they would explode in a red mist. He tells about sniper strategies, when he shot over a dozen unexperienced snipers who turned to be part of a sniper battallion of women ! The brutality of the fight and the atrocities.
You learn how many times, snipers became the only substitute for heavy weaponry (which they did not have anymore) to stop the oncoming russian waves, pinning down entire batallions, and covering his unit's retreat. The desperation of the simple german soldiers when the front was constantly broken by the enemy and flanking attacks became a constant threat. He mentions that only the rigourous training and the courageous example of their officers prevented the total collapse of the unit.
In short, if you want to know about german (and russian snipers) snipers you MUST read this book. This is not about big military strategy, politics, movement of troops or the like. This is the war from the perpective of a young soldier who has been there, done that...... I guess we all are in this forum because we are students of military history. However, apart of the valuable information, after reading this book, it is impossible not to feel a deep sadness, thinking how horrible war is.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 28 Mar 2003, 01:47

Hi Beau, it's correct that I haven't got around to buying the book but I know it will be a great read.

Best regards/ Daniel

davethelight

Post by davethelight » 28 Mar 2003, 14:23

Is this book available in English, it sounds like the kind of book I would really like to read?

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 28 Mar 2003, 17:04

Unfortunately it's only available in German.

Best regards/ Daniel

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”