German War Cemetery In England

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
vogelbird

German War Cemetery In England

Post by vogelbird » 28 Feb 2003 17:12

High,
I've just got back from visiting the German war cemetery in Cannock Chase,Staffordshire.It is only about an hour away from where I live and my second time there,Interred are some 5ooo or so German soldiers of both world wars. It is a very secluded site and surrounded by pine forests which reminded me very much of areas of Germany where I've travelled.It is of course a place of pilgrimage for widows and the later generations of German children.The graves are very well tended and it is very moving to walk amongst the stones which mark the resting place of so many young men.I would recommend it to anyone having the means to do so.
Vogelbird

war_dog2

German cemetry

Post by war_dog2 » 01 Mar 2003 02:46

I wasn't aware of any German Cemetries in Britain, do you know of any others? I have been to quite a few German cemetries on tours of WW1 battlefields, they are always well kept like that of all nationalities.

kobold

Post by kobold » 01 Mar 2003 03:27

i found this site about the place:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis.d/gemilcem.html

(in german and english)

dave

pickr

german graves

Post by pickr » 01 Mar 2003 04:22

I know we had a lot of POWs here in th USA. Does anyone know of german cemetarys here? There were a couple of camps here in Mississippi.

vogelbird

Re: German cemetry

Post by vogelbird » 01 Mar 2003 22:06

war_dog2 wrote:I wasn't aware of any German Cemetries in Britain, do you know of any others? I have been to quite a few German cemetries on tours of WW1 battlefields, they are always well kept like that of all nationalities.

As far as I can make out, all these German soldiers remains were brought from all areas of Britain to Cannock Chase.All of them died in British territory, many of them POWs,and others Zeppelin and Luftwaffe crews etc.I know that there are also German POW cemetaries in the US.
Vogelbird

Paul Timms

Oxford

Post by Paul Timms » 02 Mar 2003 18:06

The Commowealth War Graves Cemetary at Botley (Oxford) has around 20 WWII German graves. They are all around July/Aug '44. I assume they were wounded prisoners from D day-ish at the nearby hospital. There are also WWI graves of many nations.

DarExc
Financial supporter

Post by DarExc » 03 Mar 2003 04:30

Does the German flag fly there? Also does anyone know if they would have been burried in Britain during war time and if the swastika was flying if they were (in any other German cemeteries in the UK)? Also what was the policy for British soldiers in Germany and did the Union Jack fly in the graves there during war time?

Max

Post by Max » 03 Mar 2003 13:18

vogelbird

Cannock German Cemetary

Post by vogelbird » 03 Mar 2003 19:09

Hello DarExc,
There was no German flag flying at the
Cannock Chase Cemetary both times I have been there and I dint remember seeing a flagpole.From what I have seen in photographs though, both in this country and in Germany, military funerals were sometimes conducted with the national flag draped over the coffin of the respective foe.I dont know about flying over the site.If you click onto the link which Max has added and look under Cannock Chase you will see further details and photographs there.
Vogelbird

Ike_FI

Post by Ike_FI » 08 Mar 2003 21:40

A map from http://www.obersalzberg.de/ausstellung/ ... 42l_e.html

The site provides a bit larger version of this picture as well.

(BTW there's also at least one more official German military cemetary in Finland, namely in Vantaa (near Helsinki), which is not mentioned in the map.)

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”