Panzer-Infantry

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
A-Bomb

Panzer-Infantry

Post by A-Bomb » 23 Mar 2003 06:50

I'm trying to figure out when and where regular German infantry was used during the Blitz. Did Infantry divisions usually advance right behind a Panzer divsion during Blitzkreig? If so what would their use be? I thought that the mech infanty traveling with the tanks would mop up the remenants of the breakthrough. *confused*

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 25 Mar 2003 21:00

Panzers would, as you know during Blitzkrieg, punch their way through the defences then quickly move on. This was the key to their victories in France and at the early stages in Russia.
Because of their speed, the infantry had trouble keeping up, and I do believe they were responsible for the mopping up as you so simply put it ;).

So to answer your question, no. The regular infantry did not advance behind the panzers, simply because they couldn't keep up.

A-Bomb

Post by A-Bomb » 26 Mar 2003 01:05

So where did the infantry see the heavy fighting?

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

river

Post by Christoph Awender » 26 Mar 2003 02:20

Mostly at river crossings.....
Also the germans just had two armoured groups. The rest of the two assaults (Fall Gelb and Fall Rot) on the entire front was done by infantry divisions.
If you have the time you can read the daily reports on my site for some battle details.

\Christoph

A-Bomb

Post by A-Bomb » 26 Mar 2003 22:12

During the entire course of the war, did Geman infantry mostly see action on the defensive?

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 26 Mar 2003 22:43

The Panzers role was to attack deeply into enemy territory, along with motorized infantry, supported by bombers (and later self-propelled artilery).

The infantry would exploit these advanced, taking care of pockets of enemy resistance, and using anti-tank guns and normal artillery to destroy enemy strongpoints and to fight enemy tanks.

It wasn't the Germans intention of actually fighting tanks with tanks, which is why the Pz.Kpfw. I and II were produced as tanks to gain rapid advances, and the Pz.Kpfw. IV to support infantry and attack bunkers. Only the Pz.Kpfw. III was suited for anti-tank warfare in the beginning.

For more information, you may go to http://www.panzerworld.net/Blitzkrieg.htm

Christian

A-Bomb

Post by A-Bomb » 28 Mar 2003 03:04

Ok. Cool. When would the half-track infantry(in a Panzer division) see action?

Whenever a town was to be taken would some tanks stay back and wait for the infantry to aid in its assault?

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

tactics

Post by Christoph Awender » 28 Mar 2003 03:15

The Panzergrenadiere were there to support the tanks and the other way round.
A well prepared, rule book attack with tanks always includes infantry support.
Soon the Wehrmacht saw that tank assaults against infantry, fortified positions, urban positions could not be conducted without proper infantry support.
It was not possible to secure a defended urban area just with tanks without infantry. Normally tanks evaded towns and urban areas despite the special situation needed it.
So the Panzergrenadiere were used to break the breach and the tanks advance through it.
But as alaways in war you will find examples of tanks having heavy casualties in towns, bunker lines etc.....

\Christoph

MattyHeiden

Panzergrenadiers

Post by MattyHeiden » 28 Mar 2003 21:18

I think the big job of the grenadiers was to provide infantry support for the armored vehicles and to hold ground until the infantry came slogging up from behind. These were heavily armed and specially trained soldiers.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”