Germans on CRACK

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
ZackdeBlanc

Germans on CRACK

Post by ZackdeBlanc » 07 Apr 2003, 00:21

I heard somewhere that the German Soldiers during WW2 were given stimulant drugs to improve their fighting ability. Is this true at all? It certainly would explain the fast moving blitzkrieg attacks!

-- Zachary White
[email protected]

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 07 Apr 2003, 00:55

I've heard of this. German scientists apparently started a project where they start researching a drug that would improove soldiers morale and stamina, though if I remember correctly it was issued but it prooved unsuccessful because at the end the soldier would collapse exhausted.

A comment to your little Blitxkrieg remark, once again I stress the point that the Blitzrkrieg, roughly speaking, was done by the Panzers and not the infantry.

Brig

Post by Brig » 07 Apr 2003, 01:15

indeed it is so. That drug is called the Steroid! It was tested on dogs, and then used to make soldiers more tough and aggressive. These were not considered dangerous because they were carefully rationed, not taken continuously, just sparringly (thus, many veterans who were issued them do not experience the 'sideeffect consequences)

Also, other drugs were invented by Germans in the 30s and used on soldiers, but I can't remember which. Not marijuana or PCP, perhaps LSD? It was a lab drug, I know that

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Blitzkrieg

Post by Christoph Awender » 07 Apr 2003, 01:31

The first organized, wide use of medicaments to keep soldiers awake and agile was France 1940.
The high medical units were responsible for them and issued them to the troops under control of doctors. I once saw a document where the Obersanitätsinspektor reports 5 million pills in his stock by 1940.
A comment to your little Blitxkrieg remark, once again I stress the point that the Blitzrkrieg, roughly speaking, was done by the Panzers and not the infantry.
Eightball.. I would then recommend reading some divisional histories and books about the Blitzkrieg because this is absolutely false!

\Christoph

Brig

Post by Brig » 07 Apr 2003, 01:37

I agree.

Though Panzers played a key role in Blitzkrieg, so did the Luftwaffe and ground troops, especially Infantry

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 07 Apr 2003, 03:12

I must comment on the title of this topic: LOL

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

why

Post by Christoph Awender » 07 Apr 2003, 03:14

Sgt.Reese.. and what is so amusing about this thread?

\Christoph

J. Penn

Re: why

Post by J. Penn » 07 Apr 2003, 03:57

Christoph Awender wrote:and what is so amusing about this thread?

\Christoph
Use of "crack" is something usually ridiculed in the U.S., and therefore the title "Germans ON CRACK" has something of a humorous connotation. Ofentimes "on crack" is used as a colloquial adjective to describe someone acting in a crazed manner, such as one often does when using crack cocaine.

So, as Brig posted, steroid drugs were given occasionally to German soldiers? Did this make their bodies stronger as well as their minds more aggressive?

~J. Penn

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

drugs

Post by Christoph Awender » 07 Apr 2003, 04:54

Thanks J.Penn for the clarification.

Yes, the germans and also the allies (at least the british) used Stimulanzien (don´t know the english word) to raise the endurance of their troops. The specific medicament is called Amphetamine.
It was given mostly to drivers of tanks, trucks and so on as well as pilots to raise the endurance.
I don´t want to get into too much medical details but mostly it has the same effect as the natural adrenaline and noradrenaline.
The main effect is widening of the bronchial tubes, raising heart activity which results in an overall better O2 support to the body which means that the soldier does hardly get tired and unconcentrated.
Some chemical reactions in the liver and the muscles build glucose and together with fatcell division the muscles have longer endurance.

hope this helps,
Christoph

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 07 Apr 2003, 08:00

I can just see a German Scientist slapping his forehead and saying, "someday this project will go terribly wrong and I hope I'm not around to see it."

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 08 Apr 2003, 17:30

Christoph Awender wrote: Eightball.. I would then recommend reading some divisional histories and books about the Blitzkrieg because this is absolutely false!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the basics of Blitzkrieg was having heavy Panzers pound their way through enemy defences (supported by Air of course), then move on leaving the trailing infantry to crush the remaining pockets of resistance - is it not?

And note that I said "roughly speaking". I am aware that Blitzkrieg became such a success because of the well coordinated support of each military branch, but Panzers were a key element.[/quote]

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Blitzkrieg

Post by Christoph Awender » 08 Apr 2003, 18:55

Hello Eightball!

No Blitzkrieg without infantry. They attacked fortified defense lines, crossed rivers and cleared pockets of resistance. To follow up they had to march up to 60-70km per day. Not quite a holiday trip!
The men of the Infanteriedivisionen did get as less sleep as the tank soldiers and had as fierce fightings may it behind the tank divisions or on the rest of the front where no on of the 10 tank divisions was present.

I personally can´t understand why you exclude the infantry elements of the Wehrmacht from the success/participation in the Blitzkrieg but I think this is just a definition matter.

\Christoph

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 08 Apr 2003, 21:01

Christoph Awender wrote: I personally can´t understand why you exclude the infantry elements of the Wehrmacht from the success/participation in the Blitzkrieg but I think this is just a definition matter.
But I don't, not at all. I've only shaped my opinion that Panzers, from what I've read about Blitzkrieg (wich you might think is insufficient), played an extensive role for the success.

I try not to be so rough in the definition as I was in this thread, but it happened when I didn't want to spend anymore time getting into leading the thread off subject.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Blitzkrieg

Post by Christoph Awender » 08 Apr 2003, 22:09

Sorry if I sounded too offensive when I said that about the reading. But without the infantry divisions the Blitzkrieg wouldn´t have worked. They had heavy engagements to open the front for the tanks and then had to keep up with them. Of course the Blitz wouldn´t have worked without tanks but also not without the infantry divisions.
But I understand now what you meant with your statement.

regards,
Christoph

Achtung Panzer Buff

Post by Achtung Panzer Buff » 09 Apr 2003, 00:18

I think I read somewhere that one of the German pills was a combnation of drugs sort of a speedball ie a mix of amphemines and painkillers. I think several types of drugs were tested. The cocktail was more effective than either type of drug alone.

While not directly related the following link discuss other drugs commonly used in WW2.

WWII Combat Medic Drug Useage
http://home.att.net/~steinert/wwii.htm

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”