Percentage of German men in Military

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Notsopeacfulinourtime

Percentage of German men in Military

Post by Notsopeacfulinourtime » 14 May 2003, 04:09

Because germany had a much smaller population that all the other countries it went to war with, a huge percentage of their combat capable men must have been in the military. does anybody have any statistics showing what percentage of men in germany were in the military, and if possible any of the percentages for any of the other countries?

Gen. Erwin Rommel

Post by Gen. Erwin Rommel » 14 May 2003, 14:00

[quote="Notsopeacfulinourtime"]Because germany had a much smaller population that all the other countries it went to war[quote]

Are you sure? Germany had around 80 Million people, without the annexed contrys before the war starts, With Austria, Checoslovakia, i think Germany should have around 100 Millions, while France and UK Got around 60 Million each, and Canada Around 20 Millions

Only USSR and US got more poppulation than Germany

USSR around 190 Millions
US Around 240 Millions

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 14 May 2003, 16:31

I thought that with annexed nations the population was 80 million. I have never seen any other statistic stating it was more then that(alittle below though) :?

T.R.Searle :)

PanzerKing

Post by PanzerKing » 14 May 2003, 18:58

You're right T.R., it was 80 million people with the occupied countries' population combined. Germany itself was around 70 million I believe and the other Germans came from Austria, the Sudentland (sp?) and other areas of Europe.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » 14 May 2003, 22:14

During the 6 years of war almost 18 mil ger were in the whermact at one point or another. That makes roughly 23% of the highest population. But the pop just like the army was not static. People were continually growing older and entering the army so if looking at total numbers who served in the army you should compare it to an increased pop numbers on the otherside. But I´m not aware of any. The other perspective would be to look at the max number in the army at one time point whch would be 12 mil. Roughly 15% of the army you can get very different result depending on what you compare.

Its also important to mention the coutrys cas also afect this. For example while the US armed servecies were large thier cas were low so the running total of forces would be small. The rus were the other exterme they had relativly large army which had suffered enourmous cas. They had much higher total number of servicemen then either the ger or us.

Also the US pop during WWII was around 125 mil certainly not as high as 240 mil someone posted above.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”