November 1942-September 1943: 'Heavier' layers of occupation?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Poot

November 1942-September 1943: 'Heavier' layers of occupation?

Post by Poot » 12 Mar 2017, 19:56

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this topic, so Mods please move this if needed.

From November 1942 to September 1943, Vichy France was fully occupied and administered by Germany, Denmark was placed under a heavier occupation burden and Germany moved to control the areas of Italy not under Allied control following the Italian armistice with the Allies. On the face of it, it would seem logical to assume that larger numbers of German troops in (at least) occupation duties would be needed, as long as they could be spared from areas of active fighting. Does the information exist that would list the numbers and types of troops that were newly committed and reassigned to these three countries? I'm interested in seeing if this increased commitment can be quantified in a reliable form.

Thank you,
Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: November 1942-September 1943: 'Heavier' layers of occupation?

Post by Vikki » 13 Mar 2017, 09:12

Pat,

I've moved your topic here, to the German Strategy & General German Military Discussions section, where I think you may be more likely to get answers.

By the way, have you ever thought about changing your username?

Best regards,

~Vikki

Poot

Re: November 1942-September 1943: 'Heavier' layers of occupation?

Post by Poot » 13 Mar 2017, 19:18

Thanks Vikki,
I had tried here first (I can't delete the duplicate thread), but it seemed like it could be nominally more relevant for the scope of the 'Life in the Third Reich' sub-forum.
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”