Spa-Francorchamps race course during "The Bulge" offensive?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Bader's Briar

Spa-Francorchamps race course during "The Bulge" offensive?

Post by Bader's Briar » 19 May 2017, 20:21

Dear Fellow WW II Buffs:

Bader's Briar here, after a very long time away!

Not too long ago, I found out that the Spa-Francorchamps' auto racing circuit's location in Stavelot was primarily in OR near one of the most-fought-over areas of Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, and particularly for the eponymously-named Kampfgruppe Peiper armored unit that was meant to head for Antwerp to achieve the main aim of the December 1944 "Ardennes offensive"...

...I'm simply curious, did any part of the fighting at ANY time during the mid-December period onwards to the Allied "rollup" sending the Germans into retreat to their pre-attack front, ever get anywhere close to, or even into the perimeter of that racing course's land area at any time?

Thanks in advance and Yours Sincerely,
Bader's Briar.. :wink: ..!!

Sheldrake

Re: Spa-Francorchamps race course during "The Bulge" offensive?

Post by Sheldrake » 19 May 2017, 21:16

Bader's Briar wrote:Dear Fellow WW II Buffs:

Not too long ago, I found out that the Spa-Francorchamps' auto racing circuit's location in Stavelot was primarily in OR near of the most-battled-over areas of Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, and particularly for the eponymously-named Kampfgruppe Peiper armored unit that was meant to head for Antwerp to achieve the main aim of the December 1944 "Ardennes offensive"...

...I'm simply curious, did any part of the fighting at ANY time during the mid-December period onwards to the Allied "rollup" sending the Germans into retreat to their pre-attack front, ever get anywhere close to, or even into the perimeter of that racing course's land area at any time?
The Germans should have done had the 12 SS panzer Divison not run into strong defences on Elsenborn Ridge. Maybe some of the paratroops dropped on the Haut Fagnes were scattered close to the course KG Peiper passed closest at Stavelot, but then turned West. Had they headed north instead they would have found the famous fuel dump burned by the belgians and passed round the back of the circuit.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”