German. Tracked vehicles in WW II

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Colonel Dr K Prabhakar Rao

German. Tracked vehicles in WW II

Post by Colonel Dr K Prabhakar Rao » 15 Sep 2017 04:48

British army had T 16 Bren carriers during WW II. It was tracked vehicle. Petrol driven with open top and main armament was a machine gun .. Called Bren It was used mostly by the Infantry. DId UK use such vehicles on German soil during WW II.. Did Germnay have such equivalent vehicles for use in WW II against allied forces.The crew for T 16 were hardly four.

Re: German. Tracked vehicles in WW II

Post by Colonel Dr K Prabhakar Rao » 17 Sep 2017 15:25

UK used these vehicles against Germany at different sectors. Many were captured by German forces . Germany did not produce these Vehicles by copying . However they had spare part problem when the captured vehicles were used by Germans after doing some modifications. Most of the vehicles were blown away in mine field and mechanical failures. T 16. Carrier was a much improved US version over the early types and it became a standard pattern. These vehicles were produced in different countries like Italy and Australia too.

phillip burke

Post by phillip burke » 24 Sep 2017 15:46

Panzer-Abteilung 300 was issued a large number of captured Bren or Scout Carriers.The offical German designation for the vehicles was 'gepanzerter MG-Trager Br-Kenn-Nummer 731 (e).During repairs the drive and steering system were modified to allow the vehicles to be wire controlled.Approximately 700 kilograms of explosives was poured into the free space in the rear of the superstructure.After conversion into a wire controlled ,demolition-charge carrier,the vehicle was designated ''Ladungstrager auf Fahrgstell Bren (e) while in service with Panzer-Abteilung 300. This is from Funklenkpanzer; A History of German Army Remote and Radio Controlled Armor Units by Marcus Jaugitz. This book is well worth getting and i got one for about 40 quid if you cant afford one,go to your local library and they will be able to order it from another library,you will need ISBN number which is ISBN 0-921991-58-4

Post by Colonel Dr K Prabhakar Rao » 22 Oct 2017 16:12

Mr Phillip Burke

Thans, for the information.I still remember one such T 16 carrier with Bren mounted being used by Indian army during their operations against Indian communists immediately after 1948 till 1951. in my childhood I saw it racing on road.. Hyderabad..... Warangal. I saw it at Aler arailway station encounter, Old memories still fresh

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”