Role of the Commander-in-Chief of the German Army.

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
bg18

Role of the Commander-in-Chief of the German Army.

Post by bg18 » 31 Mar 2018 20:02

I have yet to find an answer to something that has been puzzling me for quite some time.

In all the historical accounts of the war I have found that the role of Franz Halder as Chief of the General Staff has been written about widely (especially through access to his diaries). However, I am a bit unsure as to what the Commander-in-Chief of the German Army, Walther von Brauchitsch, actually did prior to and during the war (until his firing in 1941). Was this a 'figurehead' role or was he actively involved in the planning or campaigns and strategy?

Any info most welcomed :)

Lil Pepe
Banned

Re: Role of the Commander-in-Chief of the German Army.

Post by Lil Pepe » 09 Apr 2018 04:14

Halder and Brauchitsch tried to consolidate power in the OKH but in reality they became little more than figureheads and the war was run by Hitler and OKW and the field commanders.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 09 Apr 2018 08:36

This is not correct :

the role of the OKW was very limited : in June 1941 everything outside the east, but as the main part of the army was committed in the east ........

and the role of the OKH in the preparation and execution of Barbarossa was much greater than the OKH apologists admit .

Lil Pepe
Banned

Post by Lil Pepe » 09 Apr 2018 08:45

Only on paper, in reality they were just translating Hitler's wishes into orders.

Hitler/OKW did all the real planning for much of the eastern war and Hitler even directly commanded a whole army group for some time. This is talked about extensively in the memoirs of Manstein and Keitel.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 09 Apr 2018 09:25

bg18 wrote:I have yet to find an answer to something that has been puzzling me for quite some time.

In all the historical accounts of the war I have found that the role of Franz Halder as Chief of the General Staff has been written about widely (especially through access to his diaries). However, I am a bit unsure as to what the Commander-in-Chief of the German Army, Walther von Brauchitsch, actually did prior to and during the war (until his firing in 1941). Was this a 'figurehead' role or was he actively involved in the planning or campaigns and strategy?

Any info most welcomed :)
In the German system the Chief of Staff had a more important role than in American or British or post war NATO. Halder was the brainer of the two - but that is what the CoS did. v Brauchitsch did issue the orders for military deployments . Hi Read the Blitzkrieg myth.a modern German account of the 1940 campaign to get an idea of the interplay of personalities and how it worked. At key moments Hitler, as Fuhrer, overruled v Brauchitsch e.g. over the Halt order.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”