French surrender

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
MightyMoo

French surrender

Post by MightyMoo » 25 May 2018, 05:31

Almost everyone knows that the French surrendered to Germany in the same railway coach in which the Germans surrendered to Marshall Foch in 1918. However, I understand this was not a spur of the moment decision; that Hitler spent some time choreographing how he was going to manage the capitulation. For example, I've heard he also considered accepting the surrender at Versailles Palace. I've also heard as early as the first week in June, he had already developed a fairly well-developed plan for the event and ordered his troops to capture Compeigne early. Although I've heard these snippets of information from time to time, I've never located a source which contains a full explanation of all these things. Can anyone point to a resource which can fill me in all all the details of his approach to the event? Thanks.

Jim_R

Re: French surrender

Post by Jim_R » 25 May 2018, 23:46

I can't answer your interesting question, however I wonder how much Goebbels had to do with choreographing this event... and did Goebbels write about this in his diary?

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”