Highest ranking captured Ally / Nazi interrogation methods?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 05 Jun 2003, 16:59

If SOE or other allied organization agent or member of resistance was captured,time was key factor.If agent could hold on 48 hours,the network would have time to go underground.Gestapo was fully aware of this and captured agent was not expected to hold on forever by his superiors,just 48 hours.

Gestapo standart method was to avoid slow start and show immediatly that victim was at their mercy.2 or more started to beat agent untill he/she was almost unconcious.Then softer period started.Handcuffs were set looser,he was offered an cigarette,food or drink and then beating started again.

And as other have said fingerscrews,electricy and other devices were used to harder cases.

Of much delicate and modern interrogation methods i would recommend Raymond Toliver book-Interrogator:The Story of Hanns Scharff Luftwaffe's Master Interrogator.
He had a reputation that he could get anybody to talk,without violence.After the war USA invited him to give lectures in Pentagon of interregation.

/Juha
Attachments
Gestapo fingerscrew from Paris.JPG
Gestapo fingerscrew from Paris.JPG (12.96 KiB) Viewed 796 times

Cory C

Post by Cory C » 05 Jun 2003, 21:34

Thank you all so much! I have learned alot from your posts. :)

~Cory

Ken McCanliss

Highest ranking American POWs

Post by Ken McCanliss » 11 Jun 2003, 07:39

The highest ranking American officer captured by the Germans was Brigadier General Arthur William Vanaman, U.S.A.A.F.

About two dozen American generals were captured by the Japanese with the fall of the Philippines. The most famous was Lt. Gen. Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright IV. Also, five Major Generals were taken prisoner:
Albert Monmouth Jones
Edward Postell King, Jr.
George Fleming Moore
George Marshall Parker, Jr.
William Frederick Sharp

A number of senior British officers were captured when Singapore was surrendered.

It is therefore apparent that many more Allied generals were captured by Japan than by Germany.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 11 Jun 2003, 09:18

I’ve read somewhere that in SMERSH if captured agent refused to talk they put him in the coffin and buried him. Then in a couple of hours thy would dig him up and ask if he would like to cooperate now.

Harri

Post by Harri » 11 Jun 2003, 11:05

Oleg, do you know who were the highest ranking Soviet officers captured during the war?

I didn't know that any US Generals were in German captivity. Ken, do you know when he was captured and especially why? I mean that high officers usually didn't fly.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 11 Jun 2003, 11:13

Harri wrote:Oleg, do you know who were the highest ranking Soviet officers captured during the war?

I didn't know that any US Generals were in German captivity. Ken, do you know when he was captured and especially why? I mean that high officers usually didn't fly.
Lieutenant-General Dmitriy Karbishev probably –an elderly military engineer who participated in combat since Russo-Japanese war , by the time of Russian revolution he had a rank of lieutenant colonel in the Imperial army – by 1941 he was Lieutenant-General in RKKA .he was inspecting border fortifications when the has started and was captured in the very beginning. He was hanged in Mauthausen in 1945.

Ken McCanliss

General Vanaman

Post by Ken McCanliss » 11 Jun 2003, 19:01

General Vanaman was assistant chief of staff for intelligence (A-2) at Eighth Air Force at the time of his capture on 27 Jun 1944 at St. Martin L'Hortier, shortly after the D-Day landings. He was liberated on 23 Apr 1945, was promoted Major General after the war, and died 14 Sep 1987.

See the following link for his on-line biography: http://www.af.mil/bios/bio_7452.shtml

AHLF

Post by AHLF » 14 Jun 2003, 15:51

oleg wrote:
Harri wrote:Oleg, do you know who were the highest ranking Soviet officers captured during the war?

Lieutenant-General Dmitriy Karbishev probably –an elderly military engineer who participated in combat since Russo-Japanese war , by the time of Russian revolution he had a rank of lieutenant colonel in the Imperial army – by 1941 he was Lieutenant-General in RKKA .he was inspecting border fortifications when the has started and was captured in the very beginning. He was hanged in Mauthausen in 1945.
There are more : Lieutenant-Generals M. F. Lukin, F. A. Ershakov, L. A. Mazanov, I. N. Muzichenko.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”