PTSD in German Soldiers

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
stcamp
In memoriam

PTSD in German Soldiers

Post by stcamp » 26 Jun 2003, 15:12

Hello,

Has anyone written anything on Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD) in German soldiers in English? I was curious, after surviving the hell that was WWII, how many had problems later? The number of veterans that returned to society after the war: How did it change, did it change, German society? Also, the civillians who survived the bombings? Anything written on PTSD for them?

How about all the men who served in Police battalions? I can't imagine it would be easy returning to civillian post-war society after you had spent a few years killing, or facilatating the killing of large numbers of civillians.
I read where there were very few prosecutions of field police members. Did they just go back to arresting drunks?

What about their kids and grandkids? Did they explain what they did in the war? How? It had to effect the kid's. Or is it just brushed over or cleaned up? Yes, I know the mass of men fought honorably etc., but I also read where 27% of the frontline Wehrmacht infantry were NSDAP members.

HaEn
In memoriam

shell shock

Post by HaEn » 27 Jun 2003, 02:16

We did not have time to have post traumatic stress syndrome or battle fatigue; we first had to survive the "rehabilitation" camps, and later carve out an existence in society again. We were too busy surviving to feel sorry for ourselves. Just and old man's opinion. HN.

Xanthro

Re: shell shock

Post by Xanthro » 27 Jun 2003, 03:34

HaEn wrote:We did not have time to have post traumatic stress syndrome or battle fatigue; we first had to survive the "rehabilitation" camps, and later carve out an existence in society again. We were too busy surviving to feel sorry for ourselves. Just and old man's opinion. HN.
I think that has alot to do with it.

When your family isn't eating, you don't have time to dwell and reflect.

Xanthro

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 27 Jun 2003, 06:36

I've heard of some suffering from PTSD later in life and particularily after retirement, has anyone heard anything about that?

John W

Post by John W » 27 Jun 2003, 06:41

HaEn wrote:We did not have time to have post traumatic stress syndrome or battle fatigue; we first had to survive the "rehabilitation" camps, and later carve out an existence in society again. We were too busy surviving to feel sorry for ourselves. Just and old man's opinion. HN.
And a very wise one I might add :|

My Grandma never complained of nothing... even though she lost her whole family and was liberated by the 'marauding and rampaging Asiatic, Bolshevik, Russian hordes' :) Maybe she did suffer, maybe not. Sorry can't tell you. Maybe in 80 years time I will come to know...

- John

stcamp
In memoriam

Post by stcamp » 27 Jun 2003, 14:18

Thank you. I understand that, especially in a country were large parts of it were reduced to rubble. I guess what made me ask was my observations of my Father who had nightmares until he died. Also, I noticed in time in the military those who had seen combat were, different, I guess. More withdrawn, aloof perhaps, and they also drank a lot more.

I also remember reading that that the number of armed robberies climbed in the late 40's & 50's in my country (USA). One of the theories was that some returning soldiers had become adrenialin junkies.

I guess what I am saying is that after surviving something that consuming of the world and people around you, how can a whole population not be changed? The generation or two after them would be different yet they would put their mark on them as they brought them up.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 27 Jun 2003, 14:39

One of the theories was that some returning soldiers had become adrenialin junkies. ....
after surviving something that consuming of the world and people around you, how can a whole population not be changed?
Surely it is true in some cases. We recall that after the First World War, many veterans didn't want to, or didn't know how to fully reintegrate into civilian routines and joined units like the Freikorps.

In earlier European history, after the crusades to the Middle East were over, many knights who had lived their lives as soldiers roamed the European countryside in bands, warring with other knights for little other purpose than the sake of fighting. They had to channel their energies somewhere. They had spent their lives at war and when it was suddenly over, many of them found a new way to feed their addiction to the fight.

In the USA, I heard that a lot of the motorcycle gangs that roamed the country after World War II, were largely composed of veterans who couldn't let go of the fighting spirit and could not readjust to a quiet, civilian life.

Surely the post-war lives of some vets were more influenced by their wartime experiences than others, but society as a whole must be colored by what happened, as well.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”