Kriegsmarine fighting on the oder river

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
madhobbit

Kriegsmarine fighting on the oder river

Post by madhobbit » 15 Apr 2021 19:58

Hello

Going by the medal, I believe this is a minesweeper medal, so I the people in the video are Kriegsmarine fighting on the oder river.

Anyone able to give unit details, the position of the defences?

thank you

[youtube]https://youtu.be/m6FQa2CcDqs?list=PLP7o ... u6mXb&t=33[/youtube]

Sid Guttridge

Re: Kriegsmarine fighting on the oder river

Post by Sid Guttridge » 15 Apr 2021 20:15

Hi Madhobbit,

I seem to recall that the Kriegsmarine raised several infantry divisions at the end of the war, at least one of which was on the Oder. These two seem most likely:

https://www.axishistory.com/list-all-ca ... iedivision

https://www.axishistory.com/list-all-ca ... iedivision

What is interesting about that film is the amount of obsolete and captured artillery and small arms shown.

"As German forces fell back from France, the Soviet Union and the Balkans, naval personnel became involved in ground fighting at numerous locations. By November 1944, the Navy had taken its cue from the Air Force and began to form an infantry brigade for coast defense on the North Sea. By February it was on its way to Stettin for front-line service as the 1st Naval Infantry Division. The unit received a cadre of officers from the Army, including a new commander, Maj. Gen. Wilhelm Bleckwenn, and was organized along the Army's 1945 tables. It fought, usually poorly, for the remainder of the war on the northern flank of the German line on the Oder River."

"The 20th Panzer Grenadier Division fighting in front of Berlin received several thousand Kriegsmarine replacements and sent them into action still wearing their naval uniforms...... Sailors also were sent to the 32nd SS Grenadier Division, also in their old uniforms....."

Given the width of the river in front of them, I would guess it was near the estuary. This would probably make them part of 1. Marineinfanteriedivision.

Cheers,

Sid

madhobbit

Post by madhobbit » 15 Apr 2021 20:46

Sid Guttridge wrote:
15 Apr 2021 20:15

Cheers,

Sid

thanks, sid, very informative.

Alanmccoubrey
Financial supporter

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 16 Apr 2021 14:38

There is a version of that particular film which starts with the cameraman's identification board which had "1. Marine Div" chalked upon it.

I think you'll find it on youtune by searching for "The last Wochenshcau of the war" or something similar.
Alan

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 16 Apr 2021 14:44

There are two books on this topic:

Bernd Bölscher: Hitlers Marine im Landkriegseinsatz 1939 - 1945, 1. Auflage, Books on Demand 2015
Bernd Bölscher: An den Ufern der Oder – Genesis eines Kriegsendes. Die 1. Marine-Infanterie-Division und das letzte Aufgebot des Großadmirals Dönitz am Ende des Zweiten Weltkriegs. BoD – Books on Demand, Norderstedt 2014

Jan-Hendrik

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”