Were there any postwar German holdouts?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Komi

Were there any postwar German holdouts?

Post by Komi » 26 Apr 2021, 12:09

I know that in the Baltic states there were former Waffen SS members who joined the "Forest Brothers" and other partisan groups post-war against the Soviets, but those guys were Estonians, Latvians, etc, not Germans.

Were there any Germans who held out and tried to continue fighting anywhere in Europe after May 8 1945?

ManfredV

Re: Were there any postwar German holdouts?

Post by ManfredV » 29 Apr 2021, 17:32

No.
1944 Himmler founded "Werwolf" as an organisation for "resistance". Before war ended they probably did a handful activities in allied occupied areas. But May 5 1945 Dönitz ordered to stop werwolf campain. There´s no evidence for post war nazi "resistance".
Allies esp. Soviets had a kind of "werwolf hysteria" and arrested people.
Today from time to time some obscure "documentaries" tell stories about post war Nazis continuing fighting. But there's no real evidence.
Of course some former soldieres and SS men established criminal gangs who robbed, smuggeld and did their "black market business" in post war Germany.
But this wasn't "Nazi resistance".
After war most germans were glad "its over" and some Nazis tried to escape. But no one wanted to fight any more.
Last edited by ManfredV on 29 Apr 2021, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 29 Apr 2021, 18:22

Other than Argentina trying to regain the Malvinas, no.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 29 Apr 2021, 18:58

As organized units, none that I am aware of.

There was some Werwolf activity after VE Day; I think it mostly took place in 1945. One incident that stands out in my memory was the sabotage of a rail bridge in southern Germany. I would have to search to find the source again, it may have been the U.S. Army's "Occupation of Germany" volume.

ETA. S. Fritz, in his work "Endkampf", mentions some of the incidents in pp. 218-222. Whether one wants to call that "Werwolf" activity or not is debatable, but some of the actions were definitely acts of resistance to occupation.

Cheers

Komi

Post by Komi » 29 Apr 2021, 19:29

Thanks guys.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”