D Day Through German Eyes-Book and Audio Book

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
col kapa

D Day Through German Eyes-Book and Audio Book

Post by col kapa » 22 Jun 2021, 20:32

Hi
A lot of people are sceptical about these books, some even say they are a hoax. I have been studying ww2 for 45 years-there is so much accurate detail that you would have to be a hell of a historian to make this up and then tell it with such a personal touch.-great read.
The very last story in book 2 on Thermobaric Weapon (Typhoon B) is most interesting.
I have recently found out that the US military had this top secret until the 70s
Any thoughts on authenticity on both volumes would be welcome

Sheldrake

Re: D Day Through German Eyes-Book and Audio Book

Post by Sheldrake » 23 Jun 2021, 00:29

col kapa wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 20:32
Hi
A lot of people are sceptical about these books, some even say they are a hoax. I have been studying ww2 for 45 years-there is so much accurate detail that you would have to be a hell of a historian to make this up and then tell it with such a personal touch.-great read.
The very last story in book 2 on Thermobaric Weapon (Typhoon B) is most interesting.
I have recently found out that the US military had this top secret until the 70s
Any thoughts on authenticity on both volumes would be welcome
It is fiction not history. You can make up detail. Novelists have done so for centuries and the Hitler Diaries fooled a lot of people. Holger Eckhertz seems to have made up his fictionalised WW2 which has as much credibility as Sven Hassel. There was a whole thread to Jonathan Trigg's book.
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=242804&hilit=holger+eckhertz

col kapa

Post by col kapa » 23 Jun 2021, 20:12

Hi Sheldrake
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 27 Jun 2021, 13:06

col kapa wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 20:32
Hi
A lot of people are sceptical about these books, some even say they are a hoax. I have been studying ww2 for 45 years-there is so much accurate detail that you would have to be a hell of a historian to make this up and then tell it with such a personal touch.
I'm sorry but I found all of the details nothing more than a collection of trivia someone with a broad interest in WW2/Normandy could pick up along the way. Including such details plays into people enjoying reading things that confirm what they already know. This 'confirmation' makes them more susceptible to believing the rest.

To spot a fake you should not focus on what might be right but focus on what's absolutely wrong. In the very first chapter the SS troops and StuGs behind Utah Beach are two glaring errors. There already is no coming back from those. In book 2 there is a member of Stu.Gesch.Abt.200 describing his StuG. Thing is: that unit did not have any StuGs but converted self-propelled guns on French Hotchkiss chassis.
If I'm not mistaken the books also mentions the importance of loosing access to the oil from North-Africa, which (IIRC) was not discovered until the early 1950s.

These are just the first things that popped into my mind but there are countless other issues (incl. terminology). And don't forget the ridiculous amount of gore either.

Ultimately these books are only useful as a warning of how good willing people can be conned and remind us that we should ask questions before accepting whatever is presented to us. A non-existing author/publisher should be a good clue though.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”