Central Asian & Mongol Troops manning German guns on D-Day?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
ChemnitzFFFan

Central Asian & Mongol Troops manning German guns on D-Day?

Post by ChemnitzFFFan » 23 Apr 2022, 18:52

I have been listening to the 'History Hit World Podcast' and during one of the episodes regarding D-Day the historian (I forget the name) mentioned the following:

"The majority of people manning the guns and defences for the Germans were foreign fighters, mainly brought in from Kazakhstan and Mongolia"

This is something I have never heard before, and I have never seen any reference to this at all? Is it true? Do we have any records or photos of these people. Obviously, foreigners were used in the German army during WW2, but it seems a bit much to ship people from Mongolia to fight in France - and how did these Mongols and Kazakh end up in the German army in the first place?

Link to the podcast main page, though I forget which episode it is there are hundreds.
https://play.acast.com/s/the-world-wars

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Central Asian & Mongol Troops manning German guns on D-Day?

Post by Art » 23 Apr 2022, 20:21

Germans habitually referred to Central Asian people as "Mongolians", which was not correct, of course. This habbit seems to confuse some authors. "True" Mongolians were not present in the German forces in any considerable numbers.
ChemnitzFFFan wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 18:52
Obviously, foreigners were used in the German army during WW2, but it seems a bit much to ship people from Mongolia to fight in France - and how did these Mongols and Kazakh end up in the German army in the first place?
as POWs from the Soviet Army

ChemnitzFFFan

Post by ChemnitzFFFan » 23 Apr 2022, 23:49

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. There seems to have been quite a number of different foreign legions within the German army, crazy how you are never taught about this!

I did try to have a good look on Axis before posting but didn't find anything.

ChemnitzFFFan

Post by ChemnitzFFFan » 23 Apr 2022, 23:51

Art wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 20:21
Germans habitually referred to Central Asian people as "Mongolians", which was not correct, of course. This habbit seems to confuse some authors. "True" Mongolians were not present in the German forces in any considerable numbers.
ChemnitzFFFan wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 18:52
Obviously, foreigners were used in the German army during WW2, but it seems a bit much to ship people from Mongolia to fight in France - and how did these Mongols and Kazakh end up in the German army in the first place?
as POWs from the Soviet Army
Thanks! Makes sense him being mistaken on the podcast now.

ChemnitzFFFan

Post by ChemnitzFFFan » 23 Apr 2022, 23:52

Thanks as well! Again the type of stuff I was looking to find. Very interesting

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”