German War Academy

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
WEIDINGER1945

German War Academy

Post by WEIDINGER1945 » 18 Dec 2022, 02:13

Does anyone know how many students were in any given class at the War Academy in the mid 1930's?

Rommel was an instructor there at the time in question.

Classes had to be rather small I assume. Perhaps 50 students or less would be my guess.

The Academy was located in Berlin and I believe it was a two year course of instruction for future well suited mid level officers.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Art
Forum Staff

Re: German War Academy

Post by Art » 30 Dec 2022, 17:01

Rommel was an instructor at the Potsdam military school. Statements that he taught at the War Academy (e.g. wiki) are wrong.
The war academy was reopened in 1935 with an initial number of students of 100-150:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsaka ... _Wehrmacht

WEIDINGER1945

Post by WEIDINGER1945 » 31 Dec 2022, 01:44

Art,

I stand corrected. Still interested in the War Academy though in Berlin.

Do you know which Stauffenberg attended?

Thanks,

Dave

Hoplophile

Post by Hoplophile » 31 Dec 2022, 04:39

Written by an American officer who attended the German War Academy (Kriegsakademie) in the late 1930s, the following report provides a great deal of information about the school.

https://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital ... 681/rec/10

WEIDINGER1945

Post by WEIDINGER1945 » 31 Dec 2022, 07:06

Hoplophile,

I think you may have read my mind. I knew that General Wedemeyer was an exchange student at the war Academy around 36 to 38. I also knew that von Stauffenberg attended one of the academies at the same time but I wasn't sure which one. so I was trying to basically ascertain it was possibie Wedemeyer and von Stauffenberg had both been at the War Academy in Berlin together as students.

If they were I've often thought over the years as the wheather or not Wedemeyer realized after 44 his possible classmate von Stauffenberg was the one one who attempted to assassinate Hitler.

In any case it's just a curiosity question that I've been curious about for 10 or 12 years now.

I would be interested in knowing who the other students were at the War Academy that year because obviously those were the future German generals of the Second World War.

I appreciate you pointing out the report from Wedemeyer. I didn't know that he had written one. It's a very interesting read.

In case you did not know General Wedemeyer was considered one of the great strategist and staff officers of the war, at least from the Americans side.

Thanks for your help and if you know anything else I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks again and best of New Year 2023,

Dave

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”