Norwegian Germans invade Norway

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Jeff O

Norwegian Germans invade Norway

Post by Jeff O » 25 Aug 2002 06:04

I heard a rumor that many of the soldiers that were sent to Norway as part of the invasion contingency were German orphans from WW1 that the Norwegians adopted after that war. Hitler then asked these orphans to return to the Fatherland so they did and were in turn sent to Norway to occupy. Has anyone heard of this? is it true? and if so can someone list resources that i can follow up on?

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

"Norwegian Germans"

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 25 Aug 2002 13:23

Hello!
There is a certain truth to this, but the children were not really adopted in Norway. After WW1, many German youth stayed in Norway for a period as there were hard times in German cities. Several returned years later, now as soldiers. Many spoke Norwegian too.

B.

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 25 Aug 2002 17:32

Thanks Björn. do you know where any written information is available on this as well?

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

German norwegians

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 25 Aug 2002 18:55

Hello!
I am sorry to say "no", I do not know of any written sources right now, but there surely are some.

B.

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 28 Aug 2002 14:32

I have learnt from bitter experience not to rule out the unlikely for no better reason than that it is unlikely, but -

Unless the OKW decided to form some sort of commando or infiltration unit from troops who had spent some of their childhood in Norway (something of which I have never heard), the presence of any such soldiers must have been purely coincidental and not very numerous. The divisions taking part in the Norwegian campaign were, like all others, raised regionally and in the ordinary way.

cheers

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Quist

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 28 Aug 2002 16:04

Hello "Quist"!
There did never excist any units of Norw/Germans of course!! I have heard the number was abut 5000 boys, many from Berlin and the larger cities. All served as individuals, and I have never heard that the Germans especially sought after "tyske krigsbarn".

My grandparents (in Sulitjelma) had one German boy for 3 months before the war. He paid them several visits in 1940, now as a WH soldier.

B.

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 28 Aug 2002 18:06

My grandpa served in Little Norway in Toronto. He said that his brothers were in their early 20's in Hönefoss and recognized many of the German kids they used to play with. There must be documentation of this i just can't really locate any solid and reliable sources.Alt for Norge.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”