German Communication

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
A-Bomb

German Communication

Post by A-Bomb » 12 Sep 2002, 23:26

How good was Infantry-Tank-Aircraft communication for the Germans? And when they say "communications trench" what do they mean?

A-Bomb

Post by A-Bomb » 13 Sep 2002, 22:39

bump!

Scott Smith

Communications Trench

Post by Scott Smith » 13 Sep 2002, 23:15

A "Communications Trench," the term dating from WWI at least, is a trench that runs perpendicular to the fire trenches and fallback trenches that run parallel to the front line.
:)

A-Bomb

Post by A-Bomb » 13 Sep 2002, 23:42

sweet.
anyone know anything else about it? or about the communication between infantry-tanks-aircraft?

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 14 Sep 2002, 00:03

A-Bomb wrote:sweet.
anyone know anything else about it? or about the communication between infantry-tanks-aircraft?
I don't know that much about it but the close-support tactics between ground forces and the Luftwaffe were developed by Wolfram von Richtofen of the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War. As I understand it, a luftwaffe liason officer would accompany the infantry operations staff in the field and would coordinate airstrikes. It was a system that worked very good as long as the Luftwaffe maintained aerial superiority and could devote energies as "flying artillery" instead of strategic-bomber defense. I would be interested in learning more about this myself. I know about some of the radios involved but little else. The head of Luftwaffe Signals was General Wolfgang Martini. I've been meaning to read his memoirs someday.
:)

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”