German spies..

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
oscar

German spies..

Post by oscar » 27 Sep 2002 03:47

Do you have any info about them their succeses and failures..
How much is known?
Most operations ended in failiure i guess becouse of Canaris.

Matt Gibbs

Operation Moewe

Post by Matt Gibbs » 27 Sep 2002 10:55

Take a look at this link for one planned operation against the UK, it's an interesting peek at one series of operations. I tried to find information for Bo stalbrandt about this at the Imperial War museum archive but they were not able to say much more than they were aware of it....

Regards

Matt Gibbs

http://www.stahlbrandt.com/html/history/moewe.html

HaEn
In memoriam

spies

Post by HaEn » 27 Sep 2002 15:12

And than there's the story of the German spies, who went hrough a rigorous training, knew all the American baseball scores, ate american, smoked american and even had an american accent. Next there was the ever so vigilant O.S.I. agent who thought something fishy about two men eating in a New York restaurant. So he yelled 'Achtung" and both jumped to attention :lol: :lol: :lol: HN.

Karl da Kraut

Post by Karl da Kraut » 27 Sep 2002 17:12

In the UK German espionage was a 100% faliure because of a double agent. A Welsh nationalist who worked for the GeStaPo prior to WWII turned himself in to the authories when the war erupted. Subsequently all German spies in Britain were arrested, including those who were sent over later on the war.

Regarding Canaris, I don't think he collaborated with the Allies concerning his espionage efforts. It is true, however, that he tolerated or protected opponents of Hitler like Oster and v. Donhany in his organization. Col. Oster for example passed the exact date of the opening day of the German offensive in the West (1940) to the Dutch. To no avail, they didn't believe him any longer as the "X-day" had been delayed so often.
It seems doubtful that Canaris knew about these proceedings though.

The most important German spy in WWII was probably Dr. Richard Sorge who, however, was in Soviet service.

I guess German espionage wasn't too successful. The counter-espionage proved quite efficient on the contrary.

@HaEn

The incident you describe sounds like naive propaganda to me.

Starinov

Re: spies

Post by Starinov » 27 Sep 2002 17:55

HaEn wrote:And than there's the story of the German spies, who went hrough a rigorous training, knew all the American baseball scores, ate american, smoked american and even had an american accent. Next there was the ever so vigilant O.S.I. agent who thought something fishy about two men eating in a New York restaurant. So he yelled 'Achtung" and both jumped to attention :lol: :lol: :lol: HN.
Good one, HaEn, good one.

Brannik

Post by Brannik » 27 Sep 2002 19:14

There is also a great story about three agents dropped in England by the Abwehr,two of them got caught because one was carrying a half eaten piece of Frankfurt sausage,something unconcievable in England at the time :lol: The third one,a woman,turned out to be a double agent.
Regards
Last edited by Brannik on 27 Sep 2002 19:18, edited 2 times in total.

bruce

Post by bruce » 27 Sep 2002 19:17

i guess no1 would agree with me that martin borman was possibly supplying the russions with information about OKW military plans...
does the nick-name "Verter" mean anything to u? supposevely he was a spy in the high ranking circles of Third Reich...im reading a book whos author is trying to prove that "Verter" was indeed martin borman...he has some convincing evidence from files of C I A, NKVD, and Ghestapo...

what do u guys think??

thx 8O

Brannik

Post by Brannik » 27 Sep 2002 19:21

Yes,I have read speculations of the sort about Bormann.I guess it is possible,eventhough I would rather point to Canaris.
Regards

Lady From Hell

Re: spies

Post by Lady From Hell » 29 Sep 2002 18:50

Hi HaEn:

:lol: Liked That story of yours below But ?. 8) Yes some had vigerous training & yes some did in reality were able to get some info with there adopted accent,s But the real story is that a lot of of the German spies were realy ones who were born in the country they were spying from or at one time emigirated to Canada . They were Called Sleepers & thought we did not know that they were in our area. But from my own experience i know differently. In fact a kid i had known Father was a Spy & i was able to infilterate his fatheres knowlege etc,. Yes being a spy is very Intriging But a Counter Spy is Much harder to locate. Yes its all very interesting . & yes there are many other spys around. Will not enlarge on this subject as it is to touchy.

So HaEn watch your back dont leave it exposed as you nener Know who is watching 8) :lol: .

See Ya : L.F.H :|

HaEn wrote:And than there's the story of the German spies, who went hrough a rigorous training, knew all the American baseball scores, ate american, smoked american and even had an american accent. Next there was the ever so vigilant O.S.I. agent who thought something fishy about two men eating in a New York restaurant. So he yelled 'Achtung" and both jumped to attention :lol: :lol: :lol: HN.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 29 Sep 2002 19:41

With reference to the lack of success of German espionage in Britain, I am not so sure..... Spending a lot of time with USAAF types, those who passed through DuLag Luft in Oberusal, were amazed by the depth of knowledge of their interrogators, much mor than could have been garnered by filtering hometown newspapers (a common practice).... also, it seems that often aerial operational plans were jeopardized as missions took place, stated to me on more than one occasion.... I do not think that we have the whole story, and probably never will.

HaEn
In memoriam

"zee back"

Post by HaEn » 29 Sep 2002 21:34

Hi L.F.H. glad to see you back in the land of the living.
>>>So HaEn watch your back dont leave it exposed as you nener Know who is watching <<<
Don't worry, I have a small back, hard to target :lol:
Anyway. Hang in there ! HN.

paddywhack

Post by paddywhack » 30 Sep 2002 13:17

what about that story about the german spies who were dropped into tobruke i think and were hasving a chat with some english soldiers and offered them a ciggeret(??) and the english soldiers arrested them because they offerred them german ciggerretes!!!!

London Lad

Post by London Lad » 30 Sep 2002 16:28

What about the Royal Family??????? German blood at the heart of the Brittish Family!

Lady From Hell

Post by Lady From Hell » 02 Oct 2002 01:40

:D Hi London Lad :)

Well its nice to sse a londonere Or Cockney as we used to call them wen i was overthere in WW2. Yes Lonon si still a busy place . 8)

Insofar as the Royl Family having German blood thats no problem As in fact the Queen of Holland had Married a Geman National. Its not the blood that makes the Difference its the Person . In fact i know of Pure British Blood people who turned on there own country . Think about the German occupation of part of the British Island that was occupied & the Collorbration they gave the German Forces. It was a No go Situation There as well as it was in Many countries that had been occupied.

Remember Spys are created Not Born. The British should know that They are a leader in this Field & still are very active.

A Spy never talks about his past its part of history as the system has a long arm & memory. Read some of your past history Or pheraps the British would never Devulge some of the things they were involved in. Thaen again why should they tell anybody. But to day its more sophiscated.etc. 8)

L.F.H :roll:

London Lad wrote:What about the Royal Family??????? German blood at the heart of the Brittish Family!

Lady From Hell

Post by Lady From Hell » 02 Oct 2002 01:59

Hi Paddy Wack :)

Nice to sse a Irish Lad on thidssystem Gee I bet you must be in the South Maybe Dublin 8) .

The Name of the Place you mean is Tobruk.
Your Story about the Cigerate is Wild as i know a lot of us had German Cigerats. How we got them was from the Deceased German Forces while in Battle or waht ever so thats nothing. .

In Fact during WW2 the Irish South did not enter the war & was Neutral ?? :oops: Pheraps you did not know that. Well i do as i have been there when the German Subs used to caome in & get resupplied But the Personeel had to stay by ther Sub or ship The British had thge same . In Fact it was a Good place for the Spies & informers to exchange information . For Somw. But You were not allowed to wander to far as you could be interned . I know.

Yes I married to a Irish girl there during the War. :) 8) 8)

Was In Dublin about 6 years ago. Yes i know how much you guys like the British. But your Small Army is just like a Drop in the bucket in Fact i dont think the Irish Army even owns a Tank. :wink:

By The Way a lot of my Children are Irish citizens Now As well as canadian ( Interestig isnt it . Small world. 8O

Keep up the good work by being loyal to what u Beleive in. 8) :lol:

Lady From Hell 8)

paddywhack wrote:what about that story about the german spies who were dropped into tobruke i think and were hasving a chat with some english soldiers and offered them a ciggeret(??) and the english soldiers arrested them because they offerred them german ciggerretes!!!!

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”