German Translations

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Ezboard

German Translations

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 13:13

Doug
Unregistered User
(12/23/99 6:24:42 pm)
Reply German Translations
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could anyone give me the german translations and official abbreviations (if any) for:
Naval Weapons Office (OKM)
Security Forces (OKM)
Liquidation Officer (OKH)
Military Governor

Thanks
Doug

Glenn A Steinberg
Unregistered User
(1/3/00 3:57:24 am)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Military Governor = Militaerbefehlshaber

Michi
Unregistered User
(1/3/00 8:46:58 am)
Naval Weapons Officer could be a "Sperr-Waffen-Offizier".(mostly land-based officer who is responsible for ship's weapons and ammunition)

Security Forces are "Sicherheits/Sicherungs-Kräfte", but concerning your abbr OKM= Navy, I'm not sure.

Liquidation Officer could be "Liquidierungs-offizier" but also "Abwicklungs-Offizier".

Can you give sentences mentioning these German words? So I may help you.

Mfg Michi

Doug
Unregistered User
(1/4/00 11:15:15 pm)
Thanks for the info Michi.
The only thing I can tell you about the origin of these is that they were all shown as appointments.
....... was appointed Naval Weapons Officer at ObdM.
....... was appointed Commander of Security Forces West.
....... was the Liquidation Officer at ... Armee Oberkommando.

Doug

Michi
Unregistered User
(1/5/00 9:28:31 am)
Reply Naval Weapons Officer at the ObdM
Dear Doug,

that's not a "Sperrwaffen-Offizier", as I mentioned above.
He is a staff officer, a kind of i.G. but attached to the ObdM.
I guess his rank is "Kapitän zur See or Fregattenkapitän"

MfG Michi

Michi
Unregistered User
(1/5/00 9:45:10 am)
Reply Liqudation-Officer
Dear Doug,

A Liqidatation-Officer means "Abwicklungs-Offizier".
Dissolving an Army, a Division doesn't mean everything stops concerning this unit.
The Liquidations-Officer's duties are manyfold:
eg One mother wants to know the last position of her son's unit.
Awards to soldiers of the dissolved unit.
There are still soldiers of this units(front-vacation/holidays, sick-off, wounded in hospital...), who must be rallied/mustered for forming this unit again.
The 6th Army was dissiolved after Stalingrad, a new 6th Army was formed a few months later.

MfG Michi

Doug
Unregistered User
(1/6/00 4:17:36 pm)
Dear Mitchi

That's terrific but just two more questions about the Abwicklungs-Offizier please. Was this his full-time occupation or would he have had other responsibilities at the same time. Also, was it a Wehrmacht appointment or did each service have it's own.

Doug

Michi
Unregistered User
(1/7/00 12:19:39 pm)
Reply "Abwicklungs-Offizier"
Dear Doug,

I.) It was his full-time occupation( he needn't to be a member of the dissolved unit), he had also a small staff with him.

II.) I guess it was somewhere within the OKW, so Army, Airforce, Navy & Waffen-SS were included. But don't quote me on that!

MfG Michi

Doug
Unregistered User
(1/7/00 1:20:08 pm)
Dear Michi

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Doug

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”