Why some many different ground forces?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Ezboard

Why some many different ground forces?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 13:16

Jeff Gray
Unregistered User
(12/25/99 6:04:45 pm)
Reply Why some many different ground forces?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine have groundforces?
Shouldn't the army control all ground forces?

Wolfgang
Unregistered User
(12/25/99 10:07:01 pm)
Reply Why?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luftwaffe--

At the beginning of the war, the only Luftwaffe troops who fought on the ground were the anti-aircraft (flak) forces and a parachute battalion. But by the late 1942, during the Stalingrad campaign, there was a growing manpower crisis. The enormous losses had to be replaced and reinforcements obtained. The army proposed taking excess personnel from the Luftwaffe. Goring responded by offering to scrounge up several hundred thousand men to form 22 infantry divisions, which would remain under Luftwaffe control.

Kriegsmarine--

(I never knew they had one!) :-) I wouldn't be surprised if they had one - guards from the navy bases in northern areas.

Gaffermufc
Global user
(12/26/99 4:07:22 am)
Reply Re: Why?
The Kriegsmarine developed ground units during the end of the war. there were 6 Marine-Infanterie-Divisionen, which fought in Berlin, Northwest Germany, The Netherlands and in Germany istself. They were basically formed to strengthen the ground forces, as the Heeren were severely depleted by then Here is what I know about them;

1. Marine-Infanterie-Division
(Formed in January 1945)
Commanded by Konteradmiral Hans Hartmann (31/1/45-28/2/45), then Generalmajor/Konteradmiral Wilhelm Bleckwenn (28/2/45-8/5/45). It operated in the Berlin area until the end of the war.

2. Marine-Infanterie-Division
(Formed in February 1945)
Commanders were Vizeadmiral Ernst Scheurlen (11/2/45-8/4/45), the commander after that is unknown to me, perhaps try Jason Pipes' site. It operated in Northwest Germany.

3. Marine-Infanterie-Division
(Formed in March 1945)
Commanders unknown to me. It operated in Berlin.

11. Marine-Infanterie-Division
(Formed in March 1945)
Again commanders unknown, operated in the Netherland.

16. Marine-Infanterie-Division
This division was never fully formed, formation began in March 1945

Marine-Infanterie-Division 'Gotenhafen'
(Formed in January 1945)
Commanders unknown, but most likely to be Heeren. Operated in Eastern Germany.

Gareth.

Wolfgang
Unregistered User
(12/26/99 5:04:02 am)
Reply Ahh...
Now, I see why many books don't really mention about them. They were developed during the end of the war. BTW, thanks for the info. :-)

Doug Batson
Unregistered User
(1/12/00 4:09:54 pm)
Reply Naval Division Commanders
Hello,

Here is some additional information from my resources:

11th Marine Division: Kapt.z.S. Hans Ahlmann 3.45 to the end.

16th Marine Division: Kapt.z.S.M.A. Carl Hollweg 3.45 to the end.

Hope this helps...

Doug Batson

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”