Spies

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Ezboard

Spies

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002 13:15

Martin Hunter
Unregistered User
(6/25/00 11:17:25 pm)
Reply Spies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have info on german spies in the Allied countries?

Jerry N
Unregistered User
(9/1/00 1:55:18 am)
Reply Spys
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Germany was not very good at the business of spying. In fact, very early in the war every German spy that was sent to England had been captured. They were given a very simple choice...either work for us, or die. Every message sent back to Germany from these would be spies, was at the direction of the English. For more information I suggest you read "Operation Garbo" by Nigel West. Its out of print, however I found my copy on the internet, in a used book store. This may be the most interesting book you will ever read about spies.

Jerry N.

Mr L L
Unregistered User
(9/1/00 2:53:36 am)
Reply Spies
I have a book I have not read yet:
"The Game of the Foxes" by Ladislas Farago
If you can find and read it, please tell us about it.
Mr. L. L.

Marcus Wendel
ezOP
(9/1/00 3:25:57 pm)
Reply Re: Spies
Martin,

You might want to try these books:
"Hitler's Spies" by David A. Kahn
"Germany's Spies and Saboteurs" by David Allen Johnson

/Marcus

Gary Komar
(9/2/00 10:52:55 pm)
Other books you might try to find in used bookstores:

Operation Cicero by L.C. Moyzisch
The War in the Shadows by Charles Whiting
The Double Cross System - by J.C. Masterman
Hitler's Secret Service by Walter Schellenberg
Canaris: Hitler's Master Spy by Heinz Hohne

IK
(9/6/00 5:57:44 pm)
I read a book on the subject written by a Frenchman who´s name I cant remember now, anyway according to the author the German attempts to send spies to GB were often poorly planned and the people sent more or less inexperienced (sometimes even blackmailed to do the job).

I remember a case where the Germans sent a Dutch spy who had oriental face figures, this happened sometime in 1942.
the man was almost immediately arrested since he was mistaken for being Japanese.

In second case a another unfortunate Dutchman was sent to
spy for the Germans (first they used him to lure resistance men into a trap so as to dirten his hands so he could not defect once he entered England) eventually this spy was sent to England where after a few weeks he was captured because of his nervous behaviour when he a policeman asked his papers, after his belongings were searched the police found invicible ink. After a trial he was sentenced to death and shot.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”