Salute

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Ezboard

Salute

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 20:39

Kurt
Visitor
(7/3/01 9:10:44 pm)
Reply Salute
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wsa the nazi salute used in the german armed forces during the war or what kind of salute was used? Thanks
Kurt

tovarich2
Veteran Member
(7/3/01 9:57:56 pm)
Reply Re: Salute
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I recall right Kurt the fascist stiff arm salute became more obligatory after the July 20th bomb plot. Or perhaps it was instituted formally when soldiers no longer swore alligence to the state but to Hitler personally. I'm sure our other forum members will clear this up.

Of course the salute in question was swiped from Mussolini's Fascists who took it from the old Roman Legions who extended their arms to "Hail Ceasar!"

Chad Crompton
Visitor
(7/3/01 10:39:06 pm)
Reply Wehrmact Salute
From the start of the war members of the Waffen-SS (technically not part of the Wehrmact, but considered as such) had used the raised stiff armed salute. After the plot against Hitler's life in July 20, 1944-sometime in August 1944 I believe- all members of the Wehrmact were required to use the Nazi stiff armed salute to commanding officers or superiors. Although the Nazi salute never overpowered the standard military salute.

Daniel Feltmate
Veteran Member
(7/3/01 10:41:05 pm)
Like the dude on Gladiator who returned to fight Maximus after years of retirement.
When he rides by in a chariot, he holds up his right arm similar to that of what some people call the "Nazi Salute."

-------

"The First rule of Fight Club is.....you do not talk about Fight Club."
"The Second rule of Fight Club is......YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT Fight Club."

HaEn
Visitor
(7/3/01 11:38:06 pm)
Reply salute
Although SOME Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, or Kriegsmarine, used the H.H.salute (also called the "olympic salute"). Most military I have observed during that time performed the Hand to Cap, or Helmet salute (normal military). Never though, have I seen a handsalute to an uncovered head. In that case it was usually the olympic, right arm salute. On the other hand I did not do a lot of frolicking outside duty rosters and frontlines, so I may have missed something. H.N.

Mislav Miholek
(7/3/01 11:51:49 pm)
Re: Salute
Nazi salute ? You must be joking.
When I was in elementary school - my history-teacher said that this salute is called Roman salute ...

And for the Caesar
Ave Caesar Imperator , morituri te salutant !

Pozdrav iz slobodnog kraljevskog grada Zagreba !

pdhinkle
Veteran Member
(7/4/01 1:21:25 am)
Reply Wehrmacht Salute/Nazi salute
Circumstances dictated which salute was used. An arrogant NCO or Officer that was captured would use the Nazi Salute, just once, then they learned a lesson. Within their own ranks they used both types, before and after July 1944. Most knew who was an ardent party member, and saluted accordingly.

Mr L L
Visitor
(7/4/01 5:51:08 am)
I beg to contradict Mr. pdhinkle -
After July 1044 the (Himmler's?) edict was issued that the only military salute and civilian greeting was the German national salute (olympic or Hitler's) . Any omission was watched by SD (I don't know if SS bothered about it in political sense) and punishment ranged from dressing down to a trip to nearest KZ.
Mr. L. L.

pdhinkle
Veteran Member
(7/4/01 3:53:42 pm)
After July 1944 many most have disobeyed Orders! I personal have seen both salutes used. It did not make any difference if they were Captive or not! I am not talking about movies, but the real thing!

Mr L L
Visitor
(7/4/01 5:39:54 pm)
I do not know about American propaganda movies at that time. I was talking about rules and behavior control in Hitler's Germany and Nazi occupied areas. Sorry about my intrusion.
Mr. L. L.

TonyEH
(7/4/01 6:08:15 pm)
Members of the Heer, Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine gave the Wehrmacht salute. That is, a salute of the national emblem on the cap or the hat they were wearing, much in the way that the British army salute their own emblem on their headgear. Helmeted soldiers also gave the salute, even though there was no emblem on the front of the helmet. If no hat was present, then a salute was not required, like the British Army.

Members of the General SS, SD and other government bodies usually gave the Olympic or Hitler salute. Members of the Waffen SS could give either the Wehrmacht or the Hitler salute. This usually depended on the officer in charge, or the situation the soldier found himself in.

After July 20th '44, Hitler attempted to pass a law that instructed that ALL members of the armed forces give the Hitler salute as a token of loyalty. I don't know how successful this was though. I'm sure many men continued to give the traditional Army salute regardless.

Tony

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”