Let's Build a unit

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Marcus

Let's Build a unit

Post by Marcus » 17 Oct 2002 21:10

Cheshire Yeomanry wrote:The Munchenburg Divisional excercise IMO has been a great sucess and we only await David to pull the threads together, so we can get a sense of what this Division was about and it's feats.
David's intial idea was that upon common agreement we could put forward a Division/Unit for analysis by the Forum members, so as to increase our understanding of that unit, and through Marcus giving it a sticky, the info remained at the forfront of the section.
Are we still going in that direction and if so what unit is next?
I agree with Andy that the Müncheberg thread was a great success (I hope David in the near future will time in his very busy schedule to compile all that info, and once he does I will add it to the site for all to see and enjoy), and I definately think we should start "building" another unit.
The question is of course, which unit? I would like to see some fairly unknown unit (preferabbly one without any unit history published, at least not any recently published or not published in english) to make it more interesting and also more challenging. Any ideas?

/Marcus
Last edited by Marcus on 09 Nov 2002 17:02, edited 3 times in total.

Al Carter

Post by Al Carter » 18 Oct 2002 02:44

What about the 78th Sturm Division. I am very interested why they were given the honorary title of Sturm Division. I think there is only one history on them, and it is in German test.

Al Carter

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 19 Oct 2002 17:11

I agree with Al, that unit would be an interesting one. What do the rest of you think?

/Marcus

de-gouden-ridder

Post by de-gouden-ridder » 19 Oct 2002 18:14

Yes, I like that division too. Great choise.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 19 Oct 2002 18:19

Hmm, I think SS Standarte Kurt Eggers would be an interesting topic. I would prefer a unit which doesn't have any book written about it. The Sturm division will probably be translated sooner or later due to the interest. Yesterday I thought about the marinenschützendivisionen which were formed during the end of the war, there were four divisions and I don't think that there's anything written about them. Further, one thing that makes these units interesting is that some former u-boat aces served in these units (i.e. Luth and Cremer) and that they fought in the end and thus probably recieved a lot of interesting weapons and equipment.

best regards

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 19 Oct 2002 18:43

Which of the Marine-Infanterie-Divisionen do you have in mind?

/Marcus

Martin Månsson
Financial supporter

Post by Martin Månsson » 19 Oct 2002 18:50

SS-Standarte Kurt Eggers is a good idea or why not SS-Panzer-Brigade "Gross" ??

Best
Martin

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 19 Oct 2002 18:54

Preferably all of them since they are about equally unknown but that would be difficult. I don't have enough knowledge to determine which unit is most interesting, perhaps one that served at the Oder-line. What would you suggest?

1.Marine-Infanterie-Division
2.Marine-Infanterie-Division
3.Marine-Infanterie-Division
11.Marine-Infanterie-Division
16.Marine-Infanterie-Division
Marine-Division Gotenhafen

regards

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 19 Oct 2002 18:58

I think we should limit our effort to one unit at a time.

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 19 Oct 2002 18:59

As Martin points out, SS-Panzer-Brigade "Gross" is another interesting unit.

/Marcus

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 19 Oct 2002 19:03

I agree to limiting ourselves to one unit, Marcus. I think Panzer Brigade Gross will be covered sooner or later, mostly due to that it's a waffen ss unit and a panzer unit.

regards

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 19 Oct 2002 19:30

I think there was article of "Gross" in Munoz Forgotten Legions.

Juha

[parts of this message was moved to the build a battle thread /webmaster]

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 19 Oct 2002 19:39

The posts on "Build a battle" has been moved to a new thread.

/Marcus

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 19 Oct 2002 23:39

38th Waffen SS division?

David C. Clarke

Hi Guys!

Post by David C. Clarke » 20 Oct 2002 16:11

I am extremely happy to see that the Forum members are hot to take on a new project!

The issue of which unit to reconstruct is the hardest issue. I learned from Muncheberg that it's great advantage was the existence in English of numerous references to it in the literature of the time period it existed in.
It was also very helpful that the unit was only in existence for a few months.
So my suggestion is that we not forget those two lessons if we are to be successful.

Originally I had also suggested 78th Sturm. Well, thanks to the good offices of Prit Buttar--a true friend--I was able to obtain the two works in German that cover the division. Although I haven't translated either, I feel I can safely say that this division would not make a good candidate until these two sources were translated, so I would look elsewhere.

So, come on guys, what divisons do we constantly run into but don't have a divisional history or only a scanty one?

Let's have more suggestions so we can debate the issue further! Very Best Regards, David :D

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”