1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
sava

Re: 1945 LOST GERMAN GIRL

Post by sava » 16 Jan 2013, 01:59

Greetings to you all.
I've read almost all the articles and view the attachment on the forum and it seems to me that it came to a dead end, because only approximately determined where the shot was taken, and nothing more.
First I guess I will not say anything new, but as we drew attention to this girl, we can assume that she ”caught the eye” of a man who has made this, and I assume that when was the first review and edit of images at that studio were already more people who knew Hogelund, and that the same girl attracted their attention. Who is able to obtain information who edited this movie, are there any notes of Hogelund, which unit he belonged to, whether there are living soldiers who witnessed this event from May 1945, because I must say again we are not the only one who noticed this girl. There must be some information in the notes of officers, soldiers or staff memo on the event of the captured of prisoners. Also, prisoners had to be recorded somewhere, even if there was chaos.
Second, if there really was prisoners who have lived in the territory that was close to the event, in the local municipal office must be a database of all the citizens who have died in those days(looking for female from 18 to 35), and also in the local churches, these data were promptly served.
I know that what I said was not easy to achieve, but I think at this point it's the only way to get information.
Sorry for bad English. :?

Son_of_German_American

Re: 1945 LOST GERMAN GIRL

Post by Son_of_German_American » 17 Jan 2013, 02:26

Well if one saw the photos of my mother after she was released from the US POW camps, it would not take much to conclude there was more going on than a 1000 calorie a day ration. The inferrence that I got from the previous post regarding the possible rape of the Lost German Girl, was such things did not occur. I know that it was common place. It was also common for prisoners and civilians alike, to sell themselves for food.

Schnitzel

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by Schnitzel » 24 Jan 2013, 13:02

Here is what I have been able to find out about Oren Haglund.
b. Nov. 23, 1905 Michigan
d. Sep 19, 1972 Crestline, CA

1930 Census records show Oren Haglund married to Theo Haglund b. 1911.
Apparently there was a divorce because later records show he married Priscilla Mullican who later became known as actress Patricia Lane. It was a short-lived Vegas type wedding which produced no children.

He had two brothers.
Elmer P. Haglund b. 1910
Harold H. b. 1918

Oren Haglund is part of the extended families of Samuel Geer, who maintains the Geer Family Tree and can be reached at [email protected]
Here is the Rootsweb link to the connection
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... id=I097786

Haglund is also part of the Dowling Family Tree, currently maintained by a T Dowling whose contact information is [email protected]

As a next step I would contact the San Bernadino County as well as the Crestline CA newspapers and try to locate his obituary. It will list his living relatives and provide more contact info.
Perhaps you can get further details of his wartime activites through these channels.

Hope this helps a little

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 27 Jan 2013, 01:29

I think it helps a lot, thanks Schnitzel.

Someone will get onto it I am sure.

jimmyscryin

Post by jimmyscryin » 07 Feb 2013, 02:27

Could this be Hildegard Neumann? she was a guard at Theresienstadt concentration camp. I know its a long shot as this camp is about 140 km northeast of where the film seems to be shot. though it was liberated by the Russians.
heres the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildegard_Neumann

thanks

BillHermann

Post by BillHermann » 08 Feb 2013, 17:52

Most probably not, one this woman looks too young second I doubt a senior camp guard would have exposed herself on camera and out in the open, even if injured.

We are assuming she is German and military. She very much could be a civilian and non German as there were many displaced persons. Uniforms / pants / boots were often worn by civilians at the end of the war for practical reasons like warmth. They were also worn by some as it was all there was. She could very well have been a colaberator, secretary or a deplaced person. Her assault or injuries could have come from a multitude of possibilities.

Adibach

Post by Adibach » 11 Feb 2013, 06:08

jimmyscryin wrote:Could this be Hildegard Neumann? she was a guard at Theresienstadt concentration camp. I know its a long shot as this camp is about 140 km northeast of where the film seems to be shot. though it was liberated by the Russians.
heres the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildegard_Neumann

thanks

it is a long shot,she doesn't even look like the lost German Girl... :milwink:

bob7708

Post by bob7708 » 12 Feb 2013, 23:36

I know I saw her in a DVD about the Nazi's that I was watching and am sure in got her in a YouTube that I downloaded. I will share it if I can find it.

predattak

Post by predattak » 28 Feb 2013, 16:32

Any progress ?? i hope one day we will know who that girl was:)

MarcelH

Post by MarcelH » 28 Feb 2013, 21:15

Well, I think that unless we get help from people who work in archives, we'll never know her identity.
One thing I noticed though is that she is wounded only on her left side.
If she would be in a fight then she would probably have been wounded on both sides of her body and face.
Looks like she might be involved in a car/truck/tank crash (or just fell off) and was slammed on a hard surface, like the ground.

Johnny51

Post by Johnny51 » 14 Mar 2013, 13:05

Hi, this is my first time here, and I really hope this thread hasn't come to an end! So if I may, I'd like to submit my thoughts on this.
I first saw the LGG video on YouTube some months ago, and to be honest, I gave it no more thought.
But then I viewed it again last week, attached to this forum link, and since then, I've been totally captivated !
I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've become mezmerised with this girl, who I'm constantly having to remind myself, must now be in her mid to late eighties (that is hopefully if she's still alive).
As it's being stated in previous postings, it's the fact the film is in excellent colour, and her very modern hairstyle, makes me keep thinking it was filmed yesterday and not some 68 years ago!
Also, I wonder if the camera man was taken by her very good looks, because out of the thousands of people who were around that day, he just happened to film HER at least 3 times ?
In the last known view of her, I wonder just how far she travelled on the bonnet of the Jeep, a very precarious position to ride to say the least!
Perhaps there was some camp nearby where she was dropped off ?

I also feel that it is such a well known film clip, it must have been shown on TV in Germany many times over the years, and someone MUST have recognised her ( I would imagine The World at War would have aired over there).
I wonder if some German TV News channel would be interested in this story, or might it be seen as raking up bad memories ?

This is again assuming that she actually is German !
I really hope this thread can continue !

John

Adibach

Post by Adibach » 15 Mar 2013, 01:47

Hi Johnny,
I was wondering if that was her on the jeep at the end of the film as well...and whats with the playing cards

Johnny51

Post by Johnny51 » 15 Mar 2013, 02:08

Hi Adibach, the popular opinion is she's not holding playing cards, but a large wad of money, and also a small red book ( possibly some form of ID).

Johnny51

Post by Johnny51 » 15 Mar 2013, 10:58

I read somewhere else that her hair showed signs of dried blood ( on the left side).
While it does look possible, I thought it was just her natural colour.

Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel » 16 Mar 2013, 10:33

Her facial injury is consistent with rape victims being punched if she were less than compliant (initially).
Modern day photos of rape victims show a similar injury, and it is usually on the left side as most people in general are right handed..
Wasn't she also protective of her rib area?
Sadly, that is also consistent with someone who has been kicked in the ribs.
For some inexplicable reason, some rapists feel revulsion towards their victim after the act and injure them in some way.
Her mismatched clothing would lead me to believe that her original clothing had been stripped away...and after her sexual assault(s) she probably removed the uniform from a corpse just to have something to wear.

Return to “Women in the Reich”