1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Twin Headlamps

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by Twin Headlamps » 25 Dec 2016, 16:06

A superb and inciteful summary razor.Good luck with the Estonian forum quest.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 26 Dec 2016, 11:20

Twin Headlamps wrote:In view of the fact that lgg had at least some interaction with Haglund should we not respect him enough to accept his stating that she was SS?
Sure not, I´ve seen at least hundreds of incorrect captioned WWII photos, why we should appreciate this?
Twin Headlamps wrote:He was there and he spoke to her.
[...]
That´s YOUR assumption with no proof.

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 19 Mar 2017, 13:47

Haglund was a professional. It is highly unlikely he was mistaken in what he wrote.

Unlike someone we all now know, he was not into throwaway remarks :o

Mars
By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. - George Carlin RIP
So is the above statement true or not - Mars
Truth will out - Shakespeare

DD66

Post by DD66 » 19 Mar 2017, 22:28

Mars, where did you read what Haglund wrote?
Can you post a link please?

Vapa92

Post by Vapa92 » 20 Mar 2017, 15:14

Hello, im New in this Forum. I have read nearly every Page, and im pretty impressed. You have done such a good Job. I am from finland. I was thinking how Could help you in this case, and i think i have figurered it out.

As some of you might know, nearly 1000 women left finland with a german soldier during ww2. 2/3 of em was aged between 17 and 24 years. Most of them Came back to finland because of the bad circumstanses. Finnish Police interrogated Total of 658 finnish women Who Came back to finland from abroad in 1945 - 1948. There was also quarantine camp for these People in southern finland, Hanko.

All the interrogation material is in finnish national archive.
If LGG is finnish, there might be also hers. There is also 16 albums of pictures.

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 21 Mar 2017, 01:18

DD66 wrote:Mars, where did you read what Haglund wrote?
Can you post a link please?
Transcripts are on this thread for you to read. Sorry but I am not going to go through the thread again to find them, but you will find them if you look.

The thread is full of interesting information, comments and conjecture. A long read, but if the subject interests you......................

cheers

Mars

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 21 Mar 2017, 01:23

Hi Everyone

It occurs to me that someone with a lot more time to spare than I have, and an abiding interest in this thread, would do us all a tremendous favour by producing an index of the thread. Not only for newcomers, but for all of us who would like to check something, but has not the energy to search the thread (some of us are getting too old).

cheers

Mars

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 21 Mar 2017, 01:28

Vapa92 wrote:Hello, im New in this Forum. I have read nearly every Page, and im pretty impressed. You have done such a good Job. I am from finland. I was thinking how Could help you in this case, and i think i have figurered it out.

As some of you might know, nearly 1000 women left finland with a german soldier during ww2. 2/3 of em was aged between 17 and 24 years. Most of them Came back to finland because of the bad circumstanses. Finnish Police interrogated Total of 658 finnish women Who Came back to finland from abroad in 1945 - 1948. There was also quarantine camp for these People in southern finland, Hanko.

All the interrogation material is in finnish national archive.
If LGG is finnish, there might be also hers. There is also 16 albums of pictures.
I think the most useful action you could take would to try and publish all the photos on this thread, with the names and whatever other information is available. Even just the photos - no translating necessary - would be a very exciting find, and who know - the question just may get resolved.

Personally I think that Finland did a heroic job of maintaining its independence during the war, and I have fond memories of my time there in 1963.

Great post Vapa92, can you go that extra effort and get a copy of those photo albums ?

cheers

Mars

DD66

Post by DD66 » 22 Mar 2017, 14:15

Mars.
I have been following this thread for several years now and have read through the complete thread twice.
There are no transcripts or any other text which has been proven to have been written by Haglund.

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 24 Mar 2017, 01:17

DD66 wrote:Mars.
I have been following this thread for several years now and have read through the complete thread twice.
There are no transcripts or any other text which has been proven to have been written by Haglund.
Well, I guess you will just have to go with what you believe is correct, and I will go along with what I believe I have seen.

Maybe someone else will clarify the matter, but my guess is that not many people look at this thread anymore.

cheers

Mars

Max

Post by Max » 24 Mar 2017, 05:43

Shots of individual dead SS men, killed by the Czechs, lying on the grass. Some of the men are badly wounded but not yet dead. A group of people stands around a wounded man who raises his head briefly. A dead body with blood on his face lies with Haglund's identifying slate beside his head. Several more shots of dead and severely wounded Germans. A woman described in the shot sheet as an "SS girl" walks down the road.
https://www.ushmm.org/online/film/displ ... e_num=4686
Does anyone know if the description of "individual SS men is accurate ?
If it is accurate then maybe we can assume that the term "SS girl" is also accurate.
Note this commentary [quite clearly not the original] says " A woman described in the shot sheet as SS girl"
If the men are in fact SS then I am willing to accept this as an accurate reflection of Haglund's original shot sheet.
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Twin Headlamps

Post by Twin Headlamps » 26 Mar 2017, 19:45

The world at War TV series features lgg in the last but one episode.It is both picture and sound film. The sound of feet marching and even lgg's footsteps add an extra element.

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 27 Mar 2017, 01:55

Twin Headlamps wrote:The world at War TV series features lgg in the last but one episode.It is both picture and sound film. The sound of feet marching and even lgg's footsteps add an extra element.
The sound would have been added by "The World At War" producers - Thames Television/ITV. Haglund did not have a sound recorder.

cheers

Mars

DD66

Post by DD66 » 27 Mar 2017, 22:32

Ah, the notorious 'shot sheets'.
Are these the 'Haglund' transcripts that Mars was talking about?
Probably written years after the event, by an archivist, cataloguing the film archives.
If people want to believe that these were written by Haglund, that's fine. But please don't pass this off as 'fact'. It just misleads people.

I think if Haglund had kept any notes, they would have been in the form of a diary, describing the days events, as was common with senior military personnel.
For all we know, he may have even noted LGG's name, and it may be stashed away in some dusty archive waiting to be discovered. :|

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 28 Mar 2017, 02:04

Hi DD66

Why do you have to take what we can reasonably be sure of, and disparage it with nonsense ?

Haglund was a film director, they used "shot sheets", so if you want to do anything useful query the Steven Spielberg Holocaust site rather than give us an "I think" or "for all we know".

Being a spoiler and a troll evidently enhances you life, so I do understand and wish you well, but I wont be taking you seriously ever again.

Mars

Return to “Women in the Reich”