1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Beltain

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by Beltain » 16 Jun 2017, 00:40

Thank you for the welcome Ignacioosacar

To me the only resemblance the girl in the center has with LGG is approximate weight and the high cheek bones. I saw the comparisons done way back when in the thread between those two but never one done between the heavier girl in the front row and LGG like I attempted above. I also never saw anyone address the theory or rapid weight loss and stress the situation would bring, just seemed to me the heavier girl was dismissed out of hand. I did manage to get at least one medical opinion that indeed a nose can become thinner or at least appear to do so as a person loses weight and the cheeks shrink inward.

I suppose my next step would be to try and find more information about that particular Flak unit and some names. It's only been 30 years since my German classes in College I am sure I will do fine :)

stello

Post by stello » 17 Jun 2017, 00:38

hello Forum, hello Ignacio,
broadcast tonight on Italian television documentary ("La grande Storia") with LGG footage!
Nice to read you all on this thread after nine years!

stello

Post by stello » 17 Jun 2017, 11:26

LGG comparison A.jpg
LGG comparison B.jpg

stello

Post by stello » 17 Jun 2017, 11:35

Hello Forum, Hello Beltain and Ignacio,
I think she could be...

Cheers, Stefano

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 17 Jun 2017, 12:25

Hi alltogether,

I must admit that I doubt that it´s possible to loose so much weight within a few days or hours that you would see it in the face.

Regards,
Roman

stello

Post by stello » 17 Jun 2017, 14:58

Hi Roman,
yes, what you say may be true. Although we do not know when the first photo was taken.

Cheers, Stefano

Beltain

Post by Beltain » 18 Jun 2017, 06:06

Thanks for that Stello!!! That was amazing and I am more convinced than ever that it is the same woman. The chin is a dead give away in my opinion.

Roman I would assume the weight loss took place over a few months and the group picture was taken at the very beginning of the posting or during training. After being posted in Prague and more than likely on reduced rations, constant action and then an uprising and almost a siege it makes sense she would lose weight quickly. Over a few months, even just two months under those conditions her weight loss would not be out of the realm of probability. I think I lost close to 50 pounds in less time than that when going through a divorce and no one was shooting at me or killing any of my friends either (although I think the Ex would have liked to take a shot or two at me).

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 18 Jun 2017, 18:35

CIAO STELLO !

Nice to hear from you again ! Welcome back to the trench !

What is it about " La grande Storia " ? I doubt I will be seeing it in our local channels.

As always you have impressed all of us very much with your face comparison work.

I share the general idea that you loose weight in a war situation, at times very quickly. Regardless quantity or quality of your food.

For Beltain : I remember ( I have not checked myself yet ) that there was quite a lot of information about that Flak unit in past posts. Other than that in the German book where the pics were taken from. Anybody has the book to share ?

Cheers all!

Beltain

Post by Beltain » 19 Jun 2017, 03:19

Ignacioosacar

As I remember it part of the issue with discounting LGG came from that particular flak unit was that the commander of the unit claimed they all left together on the 9th I think while the footage on the film claims the footage was shot on the 8th. I tend to take the claim of the entire unit moving out together with a grain of salt however since the surrender had already been signed and they all knew it was over. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if LGG had started the trek early and was perhaps reunited with the unit after making it to the American lines. I can only imagine the chaos and panic involved in such a time and move. The only thing I can compare it to from own experience would be training moves from my time in the US army and we managed to get stragglers and such just from those. I also can't say I know much about SOP for moving an anti-aircraft battery but if it is anything like an artillery unit I know we had advance party members who always made the move ahead of the main body or battery. Perhaps LGG started out as a member of an advanced party that just became part of the refugee swarm?

How to go about putting a name to that face is beyond me though. However it does raise another interesting thought because if LGG did tend towards being over weight during normal times perhaps if she survived she may have looked so different after 10+ years no one recognized her when the footage was aired for the first time in the 70's.

Is it known for a fact that all the members of that AA unit were kept and not turned over to the Russians/Czech government? I don't recall if it has ever been mentioned.

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 24 Jun 2017, 15:59

I agree Beltain. Advance party is a possibility. I suppose that in that situation everybody would have volunteered for the advance party detail, to get out of Prague as soon as possible or maybe not, just trying to move with the rest of the unit as most would feel safer that way . It depends if you had the possibility to make a choice ( big dilema ! ), if not, your fate is tied to the orders you reeive.
Cheers

Bachmann

Post by Bachmann » 26 Jun 2017, 00:02

I'm glad that this thread has taken life again...:)

kpraha292

Post by kpraha292 » 29 Jun 2017, 12:29

Hi all,
I have also found the movie accidentally and turned total in myself in the story. I was watching the movie many times, and after that I started to focus on some details. Searching for old pictures of flakhelferin. What I noticed. The girl is dressed in pants of color feldgrau (also used in luftwaffe), and has pulover that was used in land and air(luftwaffe) units. So it matches the theory of Flakhelferin in luftwaffe. But... The flak was young german people born from 1926-1928. Please correct if I am wrong of course. So one theory with lara bauer is different (someone wrote she was born in 1921). Next thing is that I found a picture of girls from flakhelfering of luftwaffe operating a dashboard. And the girls on the right is similar to the girl from the picture with a jacket.

if not working the link https://photouploads.com/image/nQ3
But lately I was once again reading all the staff, also the story with Emi Huller I found it very possible. First of all the date of the story is from at least 2012. There is the information of a girl firstly trained in Rendsburg near Kiel. The information about finding the postcard from Emi Huller apears in 2016, also from Rendsburg. So seems they were flakhelferin (youth) born 1928. But if the postcard information apeared few years later it confirms the story. In the end of the movie the girls is having a something looks like a cards, cigarettes, but also a 100 Czech koruna. Very similar. In the articles from 2012, there is an info it is a note with 100 Czech Koruna. In 1945 value of it was not much. But in my opinion if she had a small note, and it was important for her, that she took it, maybe it was her diary.

The things that are ackward is, why the girl is walking alone, why she has no uniform jacket? Her pulover cuout is expanded, some one probbably pulled it. Everything matches. She has her pants for sure, woman have different size, she has soldier shoes, soldier pullover. She was in army for sure.

kpraha292

Post by kpraha292 » 29 Jun 2017, 13:05

Nah I have forgotten about one thing.
Look at the

1:01
She did her hair. You can see what style she has. Also the forhead. She had a row on her left. Very similar to the picture of the girl from the pic i uploaded (on the right - with a jacket)

headwest

Post by headwest » 29 Jun 2017, 21:45

Just my opinion but the picture you posted seems to me to be the closest in resemblance to the girl in the movie. since i first saw it that was my opinion.

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 30 Jun 2017, 16:08

Hello kpraha292,

Welcome aboard!

You certainly have found a girl we had not seen before ! I wonder where the pic was taken. I must tell you that you must be aware that there were a few names and stories posted to this thread in the past that were just elaborated fantasies or at least, cases that were never sufficiently proved and remain as a blurred possibility. This swichboard helferin has many face features to compare.
My remark is that I have not seen her wearing any shoes. She is barefooted while sitting with the men in the side of the road.

Cheers

Return to “Women in the Reich”