Thomas Lundmark book on Eva Braun

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Sidlawman

Thomas Lundmark book on Eva Braun

Post by Sidlawman » 12 Feb 2020 17:37

Despite being published as recently as 2018 I’m struggling as to why the book by Thomas Lundmark ‘Eva Braun Her Life And Times’ is so hard to come by, there’s little in the way of reviews either. It’s described as the most complete and best documented on EB (602 pages). Has anyone on here read it, or any opinions?

Regards S

Journeyman916

Re: Thomas Lundmark book on Eva Braun

Post by Journeyman916 » 23 Apr 2020 20:03

I have just finished the abridged version today. A shorter version of the 600+ page book which excludes a lot of the reference material of the larger book. This book is everything that Görtemaker's book 'Eva Braun - Life with Hitler' professed to be but wasn’t. And yet it still fell short in a few areas. I think Lundmark set himself a difficult task in putting together something new about Eva Braun and to do it in a way that was ‘fresh’ and different from all the other books about her and, having literally just put the book down, I can say he made a fair stab at it.

The book is configured to have two time lines running in alternating chapters. One timeline takes us from Evas childhood, adolescence, work in Hoffman’s shop and then through the stages of her life with Hitler up to the closing months of the war. The second timeline covers the last days in the Bunker up to the rather strange ending of the book.

In reading this book you have to put aside the fact that some of the conversations and reported thoughts and actions Lundmark couldn’t possibly know but has included as a means by which to convey the story or give the reader a feel for occasion. Once you accept this is storytelling it makes the scene believable and by extension more interesting. Some of the observations are somewhat gratuitous; ‘Sweat trickled down the cleavage between Eva’s breasts’ being one of the more memorable ones!

Lundmark has repeated stories about Eva that have been covered in all the other books but has included many anecdotes that were new to me. These were woven together in a narrative that also drew on Eva’s home movies and other well documented photos of Hitler, the Berghof,the tea house and the Kehlsteinhaus. It’s fairly successful. I found some of ‘Eva’s’ thoughts about Gretl and Ilse a Little less convincing but then again Lundmark says he had access to many private documents not seen before so...who knows.

Where the book falls down is not necessarily Lundmark’s fault as it is in the proof reading. The book is littered with many basic spelling mistakes and incorrect use of words. There/their, grin/grim, Wenck(general)/Wench. Finally the book finishes. Literally just finishes! There is no summing up of Eva’s legacy (for want of a better word), no conclusions drawn. It just stops with a paragraph that could be, and probably was, included elsewhere in the book. Very strange.

All that said, I enjoyed it and felt better informed by the end of it. In fact if I hadn’t read anything else about her it was an all round good read. Certainly better than the book I mentioned at the beginning of this review.

There were no pictures in this abridged version and often the story covered parts of Hitlers life or events in the war that didn’t have much to do with Eva. All the same I’d give it 8/10.

Sidlawman

Post by Sidlawman » 30 Apr 2020 05:42

Many thanks for that.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 30 Apr 2020 19:46

Copies of "Eva Braun: Her Life and Times" by Thomas Lundmark are available via Amazon; just search for the book's title and you should be able to find them.

Br. James

Return to “Women in the Reich”