I want to know more about the league of German Girls (BDM) members as air-raid assistant

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Sebastian_Z

I want to know more about the league of German Girls (BDM) members as air-raid assistant

Post by Sebastian_Z » 10 Oct 2021 15:20

Dear all:
Hello, I am a history enthusiast and I would like to learn more about BDM members participate in air-raid assistants roles. I create this character name Erika who join the BDM and participate as an air-raid first-aid assistant during 1942-1945, but I run into difficulties designing proper clothing for her.
I definitely knew BDM members do activity contribute in aiding in the war efforts by helping out in occupied territory, farming, child caring, and air-raid assisting, many internet sources have confirmed that. But I cannot find any pictures of BDM members as air-raid assistants besides a picture of some girls on a 20mm FLAK gun as a propaganda picture.
In the movie <Downfall> there is also a BDM member character as a FLAK gun operator, so I know this must exist in real life in some way, but I digress.
How many BDM fill the role of air-raid assistants? What would a BDM member wear if she act as an air-raid assistant? What would a BDM member as an air-raid first-aid (Medical) assistant wear? Would they wear a gas mask? (To protect from smoke) What about helmets?
Could someone share some light on this topic? Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Sebastian_Z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sebastian_Z

Re: I want to know more about the league of German Girls (BDM) members as air-raid assistant

Post by Sebastian_Z » 11 Oct 2021 14:43

Base on the research I had done, I had set her rank as Maedelgruppenfuehrerin, the uniform and insignias should be right, but I am not sure if a 17-year-old girl could be a Maedelgruppenfuehrerin.

Hans1906

Re: I want to know more about the league of German Girls (BDM) members as air-raid assistant

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Oct 2021 15:03

Just one photo about BDM girls, called "air raid wardens" ("Luftschutzhelferinnen") at the time.

Google photo search for "luftschutzhelferinnen": https://www.google.com/search?q=luftsch ... =759&dpr=1

Hans

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Es ist im Leben wichtig, viel zu wissen.
Manchmal ist es noch wichtiger, zu wissen, daß man nichts weiß.

Return to “Women in the Reich”