Synchronised jumping up and down at a military parade

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Synchronised jumping up and down at a military parade

Post by Ivan Ž. » 29 Nov 2021, 11:51

While searching for something completely different (not the Monty Python movie), I've come across this footage showing a crowd of (Austrian) girls jumping up and down at a military parade after the Anschluss (skip to 1:39). It reminded me of the crowds at hardcore concerts of the 1990s :) But this was obviously organised (i.e. not spontaneous) jumping. Has anyone seen anything like this performed at 1930s parades before?

Cheers,
Ivan

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Synchronised jumping up and down at a military parade

Post by Hans1906 » 29 Nov 2021, 18:19

Ivan,

the girls were excited, or were trained to jump enthusiastically, throw their arms in the air, whatever...
Interesting would be the uniformed clothing / uniform of the girls at that time, scouts, church youth groups, young nurses in training, everything was possible in 1938 , in this frenzy of the then Anschluss to the Reich.

And as we all know, after 1945 it became clear that there were only anti-fascists in Austria, Vienna was deserted, except for a few confused souls... :wink:

But who do I tell that... :wink:

Greetings to Serbia!

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 29 Nov 2021, 19:34

Greetings, Hans1906

As I wrote, it's obviously organised and it seems they had a (male) coordinator as well. I've never seen anything like it performed at 1930s (or any actually) military parades and would like to find out if it was a one-time thing or not, as it's quite atypical for that time. No speculations please.

Cheers,
Ivan

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 30 Nov 2021, 06:20

Perhaps original UfA-Tonwoche footage of the whole event is available, not just Pathé compilation?

I don't seem to recall this kind of activity during a military parade, but if they all gathered in front of a building and there is a "rock" star on the balcony, that changes things completely, don't you think?
Most of them seem to look up a bit, footage was taken up from adjacent building, they don't seem to be on the edge of any main road, where vehicles might pass...
Not sure why footage is cut off just before identity of a "rock" star is revealed?

Only "speculations" from me. (Sorry!)

Max

Post by Max » 30 Nov 2021, 13:38

Here they are again
https://youtu.be/kXhmDnjn5Ms?t=195
Obviously the same footage
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 04 Dec 2021, 21:46

Interesting discovery. First time I’ve seen something like that in all my years of viewing TR film clips. We see this sort of thing / behavior in crowds today such as “flash mobs “ in order to get noticed or gain attention.

Return to “Women in the Reich”