theatre/film/ACTRESSES in BERLIN 1930s need help please

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
ing

theatre/film/ACTRESSES in BERLIN 1930s need help please

Post by ing » 13 May 2006, 09:27

I'm researching Renate Muller specifically but finding her rather elusive.

Berlin actress, killed by Gestapo (??suicide?) 1937.

Was in one blatantly anti-semitic nazi film, Togger, and also many general entertainment flicks, including Viktor/Viktoria, a film about a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a drag queen.

(it was later remade with Julie Andrews.)

Any tidbits of info about theatre/film/fashionable women's life in Germany in the 30s would be much appreciated.

I'm an actor, and I'm going to be playing this role. Exciting!!

Geli

Re: theatre/film/ACTRESSES in BERLIN 1930s need help please

Post by Geli » 29 Jun 2006, 06:11

ing wrote:I'm researching Renate Muller specifically but finding her rather elusive.

Berlin actress, killed by Gestapo (??suicide?) 1937.

Was in one blatantly anti-semitic nazi film, Togger, and also many general entertainment flicks, including Viktor/Viktoria, a film about a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a drag queen.

(it was later remade with Julie Andrews.)

Any tidbits of info about theatre/film/fashionable women's life in Germany in the 30s would be much appreciated.

I'm an actor, and I'm going to be playing this role. Exciting!!
An interesting role, congratulations. I have some books on actresses from the Third Reich era. I may be able to help if you have a specific question. It's hard to think of "tidbits" offhand.

ing

I performed the role of Renate Muller, good times

Post by ing » 29 Jun 2006, 22:10

thanks, yes I would say the performance was successful.

I found her life very intriguing, and because there was so much mystery and sources were so rare I drew a lot of inpiration from watching Marlene Dietrich films and adapting it.

I got some great feedback from the show. I did a short monologue of Renate, in the hospital, intoxicated on morphine and who knows what else, relating to her nurse, minutes before the Gestapo entered the hospital, and I ended with them stepping into the room.

Thanks for the offer, though. I might be doing a lot of research on Leni Reifienstal (spelling?) in the future to adapt a show about her life.

ingi

smitcham

Post by smitcham » 04 Aug 2006, 23:57

Dear Ing:

Cinzia Romani wrote a book entitled Tainted Goddesses. It has a good chapter about Renate Mueller in it, among others. You can pick up a copy on amazon.com for $3. I recommend you look into it.

Dr. Sandy Mitcham

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 05 Aug 2006, 02:03

Hello,

we just had another thread about Renate Müller and her mysterious death. Run a forum search for 'Renate 'Müller' (note umlaut).

Best regards
Torsten

Return to “Women in the Reich”