Bormann secretary

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Max Williams

Bormann secretary

Post by Max Williams » 19 May 2006 12:44

Martin Bormann's secretary was Else Krüger, who I believe remained with him in the Reichskanzlei bunker and was taken prisoner. My research has revealed that she subsequently came to live in England, marrying a university professor at either Cambridge or Oxford. Has anyone got anymore information on this lady please?
Thanks,
Max.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 22 May 2006 08:44

Anyone?

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 22 May 2006 19:21

Hi Max,
Yes. After her husband died she apparently went back to Germany to live possibly Hamburg. No further info I'm afraid.
Best
Ian

Boby

Post by Boby » 22 May 2006 19:34

Hello Max

surely you have this info, but is the only I can find.

Born 09.02.1915 in Hamburg-Altona
At the end of 1942, private secretary of Martin Bormann.

She wrote and Affidavit in Nüremberg, document number Bormann-12.

Best
Boby,

Boby

Post by Boby » 22 May 2006 19:39

Look this:

The only secretary to get married was Krueger, who worked for Bormann, not Hitler (ironically, she married her British interrogation officer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bunker

I don`t know if this is true. 8O

Boby,

mjölnir

Post by mjölnir » 23 May 2006 13:32

Hello Max!
Here are my informations about Else James, born Krüger

Else James, born Krüger
DoB: 09.02.1915 in Hamburg-Altona
End 1942 - 01.05.1945 Sekretary of Martin Borman (one of about 50)
She was with Bormann in the Führerbunker (April/ Mai 1945)
Escape from Berlin (Reichskanzlei/ Führerbunker)
Flight into the west
british internment camp
today (1990's) lived in England

source: Anton Joachimsthaler "Hitlers Ende"

and a second source: Christa Schröder "Er war mein Chef"

There she wrote that Else Krüger and she (Christina Schröder) have to fly with the Ju 352 from Berlin on April 21th, 1945. But both didn't took this airplane, witch was crashed at Börnersdorf (You remember the story about Hitler's diary? This was the airplane). Two women killed by the accident was identified as Else Krüger and Christina Schröder, because the baggage of both secretaries were on board of the airplane. But not the secretaries!

mjölnir

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 23 May 2006 14:28

Thanks. Does anyone know any more about her husband please?
Max.

JesseJames150

Re: Bormann secretary

Post by JesseJames150 » 27 Aug 2008 18:23

I know it is a long time after the original posting but I can add something to the thread in that Else Krüger's husband (who was indeed her British interrogation officer) was my Great-Uncle, Leslie James.

The limited information that I have about him (from our family tree) is that he was born 3 September 1915 in Wallasey, Cheshire, UK and died 18 August 1995 in Staufen im Breisgau in Germany.

He married Else Krüger on 23 December 1947 in Wallasey, Cheshire UK.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 27 Aug 2008 20:30

I wonder if Bormann ever made advances toward her...she seems to be a good looking woman...Bormann was notorious for being a skirt chaser. I think it would have been hard for a woman in her position to reject him as it could have cost her her job. Bormann was a very rude and crude individual to those beneath him. He would never have made it in today's "politically correct" world!

Kevin Johnson

Post by Kevin Johnson » 02 Oct 2009 15:38

Hi,

I am very glad to have found this forum.

I had a friend who passed away in 2003 that was married to who he described as "Martin Bormann's personal secretary." I am guessing this was Else Krueger but possibly it is someone else (one of about 50... ??).

Some background info:

His name is Jean Claude Martel but apparently this is an assumed name. I think the portion "Jean Claude" is correct. His parents were wealthy; his father was Swiss and his mother Cuban. He was born in 1919. He was involved in auto racing at the start of the war and lived in Berlin. He and Else were married at least in part to obtain the free apartment provided by the German government. The marriage was summarily annulled by the German government during the war (all marriages of German citizens to foreigners).

Jean had many experiences during the war but, with respect to Else, the most important was in becoming associated as a translator or fix-it person for Patton’s Third Army. During this time he learned that Else had been captured by the Russians. He and his friends tried to figure out a way to “rescue” her and the scheme was hatched to contact the Russians and demand that she be presented to stand trial on a variety of invented crimes. One day a Russian vehicle arrived with heavily armed guards and the dangerous prisoner was Jean’s former wife. Jean was also involved in helping to wrest Dr. Porsche from French custody as he knew him from his involvement in auto racing.

Jean questioned Else over the years about whether Martin Bormann survived the war. He said that she never confirmed or denied this to him. Jean said that there was a Swiss (?) artificial tooth manufacturer that had an executive whose picture was not posted. He said that Martin Bormann was involved with making artificial teeth as a hobby or perhaps earlier profession.

My question to anyone who can research this further is whether they can learn the correct name of my friend?

Jean was heavily involved in racing after the war and participated in the Mille Miglia and at Le Mans. In the back of his shop in Glendale, CA was a Le Mans Panhard based race car (from Deutsch Bonnet, I believe). In the 1950s he was a journalist that traveled to Indochina covering the French involvement in Vietnam; he was kidnapped by the Viet Cong and in exchange for writing a sympathetic article was released. This article was not taken well by the French. Later he was briefly an instructor in French at Columbia University. His business in Glendale, CA was for the selling of performance parts for French vehicles, including for Renault, Matra and Panhard.

Jean spoke his mind freely and I am sure this is part of the reason he lived under an assumed name. He was one of the few people to actually drive a Bugatti Royale and when he reviewed it in an article with an unflattering description of its mass and inadequate brakes he received death threats. At one point he was engaged by Harrah to collect significant automobiles for his famous collection. Many other stories.

Here is a picture of him from the early 1990s standing next to my Miata:

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 23 Nov 2009 18:17

Hmmmm, interesting with Else Krüger - I'm really interested in her flight from Berlin ... so if anyone knows anymore about her way into allied captivity, please write :-)

Best
Halfdan S.

daphnemangold

Post by daphnemangold » 07 Sep 2010 17:13

In conversation about the war with a close neighbour, she mentioned that as a child she had had a german au pair in the mid 1930's. Some years later her father commented that the au pair had subsequently come Martin Bormann's secretary.

Our neighbour said that the au pair was called Elsa Kruger, out of interest we then 'googled' this name and came across the forum. Here is "Daphne's story''.

Elsa Kruger
-------------

In 1933/4 my father employed Elsa Kruger as an au pair to look me and my brother. She was also employed to teach my parents to speak German whilst she would learn English from them. We understood that she was a member of the Hitler Youth and we had a photograph of her standing near Virginia Water giving a Nazi salute.

Elsa liked to be called "Motto" and she gave me two little books about flowers, one for my birthday and one for the New Year. Both of which she signed and dedicated to me. The books are printed in Germany and I still have them.

Unfortunately for Elsa she broke her arm and was unable to do anything to help in the house. Eventually my father had to go to the German Embassy to arrange for her return home; the Embassy was reluctant to do this.

We have since speculated about Elsa's visit, could it have been anything to do with my father's employment with Shell Mex in London?

At the time we were living in a company house in Teddington, Middlesex. Co-incidentally Elsa's sister also worked as an au pair for a neighbour who was an employee of Shell Mex aswell.

Daphne Mangold (nee Heaney)

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 11 Sep 2010 09:37

Hello Daphne,

:welcome:
daphnemangold wrote:We have since speculated about Elsa's visit, could it have been anything to do with my father's employment with Shell Mex in London?
I don't think it was an attempt at espionage. When both Krüger girls were working in the households of Shell Mex managers their visit to Britain apparently had been arranged by the company. Assuming that Shell Mex is part of Shell Oil it could be that the chairman of Shell Oil Sir Henri Deterding himself was behind this scheme. Deterding was a bit of a fan of Hitler and re-settled to Germany in 1936.
Source:
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Deterding

Best regards
Torsten

Kevin Johnson

Post by Kevin Johnson » 12 Sep 2010 05:56

Heimatschuss wrote:... Assuming that Shell Mex is part of Shell Oil ...
Yes:
Royal Dutch Shell, Wikipedia wrote:In 1919, Shell took control of the Mexican Eagle Petroleum Company and in 1921 formed Shell-Mex Limited which marketed products under the "Shell" and "Eagle" brands in the United Kingdom. In 1932, partly in response to the difficult economic conditions of the times, Shell-Mex merged its UK marketing operations with those of British Petroleum to create Shell-Mex and BP Ltd,[8] a company that traded until the brands separated in 1975.

Eric James

Post by Eric James » 03 Oct 2010 13:53

Else Margarethe Kruger
Was aged 32 when she married Leslie James, A university lecturer, at Wallasey on 23rd December 1947.
both residing at 'Ivy Cottage' Green Lane Wallasey.
Leslie James was an inteligence officer responsible for debriefing at the end of the war, and also aged 32 at the time of the marriage
Else kruger was the son of Gustav Kruger a Motor Agent.
Leslie James was the son of Arthur James, deceased at time of marriage, strangly the marriage certificate states in one column that he is deceased and in another that he is Greengrocer (retired).

Leslie James was my father's (Frederick eldest son) younger brother, and acordingly my uncle.
I have quite an extensive family tree so if the previous correspondent Jesse James would care to fill me in on our connection i would be much obliged.

In the 1980's else was living in Cambridgeshire, and as mentioned by another, later returned to Germany.
I have heard that her story has been writen for release posthumously, but have no further details in this regard.

Return to “Women in the Reich”