The lost life of Eva Braun

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Blondi

The lost life of Eva Braun

Post by Blondi » 03 Jun 2006, 09:16

Hi people im new.
Anyway, I'm reading a book at the moment, very interesting, it's bout the life of Eva Braun with Hitler mostly at Obersalzberg.

http://www.library.org.nz/news/bow/nr1148515898.html

Ciao.

V2

Eva Braun

Post by V2 » 06 Jun 2006, 02:02

Blondi,
Hi the book sounds interesting ,a bit of Anthony/Cleopatra,Napoleon/Josephine
Romeo/Juilet or Sid/Nancy
Have you ever heard the song by the Boomtown Rats,"I'm in love with Eva Braun"?
well anyway must find this book for a good summer read
thanx V2

soniadsmith

Post by soniadsmith » 13 Jun 2006, 09:49

This is the book by Angela Lambert? I stopped reading in disgust at p193 when she described Dr Karl Brandt, who ran the 'euthanasia' programme and then went on to carry out experiments on prisoners at Ravensbruck and elsewhere, as "a halfway decent man".

I wasn't enjoying it as it was, she has this creepy way of identifying her mother very closely with Eva Braun. She treats problematic sources such as post-war testimony by Braun's family as objective truth, and has a tendency not to document her sources - there were so many occasions where she stated a 'fact' but then gave no footnote at all (I believe that on these occasions she was often making assumptions about Braun's life based on the little she knows about the life of her mother). Finally, she refers to the Holocaust as "the Black Events", a euphemism which obviously helps her keep up her pretence that Braun was a very nice girl who knew nothing about genocide and anti-Semitism and wouldn't have wanted anything to do with them if she had known. But this was a woman who married Hitler!

As you can tell, I don't like this book. A "halfway decent man"! I'm disgusted, horrified that any reputable publisher (it's published by a subsidiary of Random House) would release something that so minimises the horrific crimes committed by these people.

Paul Timms

Eva

Post by Paul Timms » 17 Jun 2006, 18:05

Whilst not wanting to be pedantic, i will !

The song is "I never loved Eva Braun" from their album "Tonic for the troops".

Return to “Women in the Reich”