Marinehelferin cuff title - any thoughts?

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
simondodkins

Marinehelferin cuff title - any thoughts?

Post by simondodkins » 25 Sep 2006, 19:38

Hi guys,

Whilst trawling through a junk shop in the back of St. Helier, Jersey, I happened to find this for sale for less than £30. I have no idea on these items and wondered if anyone out there would give their opinion on whether this is a fake or an original?

simondodkins

Post by simondodkins » 27 Sep 2006, 19:33

anyone?....opinions off forum suggest its an original but a reject piece due to the wording on the cuff title being slightly off level.

It has certainly never been on a uniform and at 55cm long seems to be in its uncut length.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 29 Sep 2006, 03:13

Simon,

It is probably good, but I'm only basing that on having had a friend check Gordon Williamson's book on German cufftitles. But a lot of these same "unissued" pieces started turning up six or seven years ago, and I wouldn't buy one then after having seen and handled several.

And, for under 30 Pounds, you're not taking a huge hit even if it turns out to be bad.

~Vikki

simondodkins

Post by simondodkins » 03 Oct 2006, 13:49

Thank Vikki....as I hope my good lady will reenact a Marinehelferin I'm happy to consider it repro - I'd pay that for a repro anyway, but there is always the lingering doubt that it might actually be original and deserve more "reverence".

Great collection by the way..saw some of your stuff on another thread....utterly stunning stuff.

Cheers, Simon.

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 10 Nov 2006, 23:18

I collect Marinehelferin items and think what you have there is a early version of the cuff title. Later versions were woven in the BEVO style without the addition of the two yellow braid edges. Some Marinehelferin were never even issued one. I have a later version myself. I have seen a cuff title exactly like yours sell for over £100, so I think you got yours at a good price. My only grumble is that I'm not too happy about the white stitching effect on the back - have you done a backlight test?

Return to “Women in the Reich”