Questions about Actresses in the Third Reich

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
J Cook

Questions about Actresses in the Third Reich

Post by J Cook » 07 Nov 2006, 08:07

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any information on actresses during the Third Reich. I know that some actresses like Marlene Dietrich (along with other talented filmakers and playwrights) left Germany when the Nazis took power and foreign actresses like the Swedish Zarah Leander were hired to take their place, does this mean there was a shortage of German actresses? Who were popular actresses in Nazi Germany? I'm very interested in actresses' relationships with Nazi officials, I know Goering married actress, Emmy Sonnemann and Goebbels had an affair with Czech actresses, Lida Baarova, I want to know if actresses were popular choices for mistresses? I also want to know about the role they played in cinema, were they used in propoganda films (?) and how were they responded to after the fall of the Third Reich, I know Baarova was publically shunned. I heard that Goebbels personally "inspected" actresses before hiring them, is that true?

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 11 Nov 2006, 00:46

Look up Marika Rökk.

She was popular with the Germans during the Third Reich period and even starred in Germany's first all colour film during the war.

She also has a secret side and has been linked to Russia as one of their spies as she had access to the Nazi's inner circle due to her fame.
Attachments
MarikaRokk.jpg
A fan photo.
MarikaRokk.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 10738 times

von thoma

Re: Questions about Actresses in the Third Reich

Post by von thoma » 31 Oct 2021, 03:52

She also has a secret side and has been linked to Russia as one of their spies as she had access to the Nazi's inner circle due to her fame.
Can anyone expand this information ?
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

stg 44

Re:

Post by stg 44 » 31 Oct 2021, 19:09

ancasta wrote:
11 Nov 2006, 00:46
Look up Marika Rökk.

She was popular with the Germans during the Third Reich period and even starred in Germany's first all colour film during the war.

Was that ever proven? I thought it was alleged, but no evidence really exists to prove it.

ignacioosacar1

Post by ignacioosacar1 » 07 Nov 2021, 01:30

Hello Forum:

There is a wartime German film "Zwei in einer grosse Stadt " One of the actresses undresses in the Wansee dressing room. The camera captures almost all of her right breast. I am sure Goebbels got the Directors copy which included a front caption of both breasts. If you have not seen it , look for it. It is very good. It inspired my first visit to Berlin ( Wansee included ! ).

Cheers all

Helge

Re: Re:

Post by Helge » 09 Nov 2021, 05:10

stg 44 wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 19:09
ancasta wrote:
11 Nov 2006, 00:46
Look up Marika Rökk.

Was that ever proven? I thought it was alleged, but no evidence really exists to prove it.

Rökk’s role as a Soviet spy was uncovered by the Gehlen Organisation, the West German agency which preceded Germany’s current foreign intelligence agency, the BND, and first made a formal note of its suspicions in its records in November 1951. In a file published by the tabloid Bild that had been classified top secret for 50 years, but which has just been released, Rökk’s “connections to Russian intelligence posts” – as Bild put it – are laid bare.
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Nov 2021, 14:46

Marika Rökk, talking about this in a german talkshow long ago:

Stellungnahme zu den Spionagevorwürfen - Marika Rökk - NDR Talkshow / Statement on the accusations of espionage - Marika Rökk
Interviewer was Dame Marie-Louise Steinbauer.

Keywords: "marika rökk spionage"...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 11 Dec 2021, 01:47

Charlotte Thiele was a huge name but she was blacklisted in 1944 when she spurned the advances of Goebbels. He sent her an expensive gift and she declined it.

Her largest role was in the German version of "Titanic" where she played Lady Astor.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 14 Dec 2021, 19:50

There is a really good book on these actresses by Cinzi Romani titled “Tainted Godesses: Female Film Stars of the Third Reich “. I have the older version but it’s still a must have. The newest edition can only improve upon the older one.

https://www.amazon.com/Tainted-Goddesse ... 125&sr=8-1
Attachments
D0C92B35-3ECD-4B3E-9EAD-C751C346CF90.jpeg
D0C92B35-3ECD-4B3E-9EAD-C751C346CF90.jpeg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 8534 times

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 26 Jul 2022, 06:19

German actress Anneliese Uhlig

German leading lady of the 1930s and 1940s, discovered by Thea von Harbou and on stage from 1938.

In 1940, she was brought to Lanke, the country estate of Hitler's propaganda minister and film minister, Josef Goebbels.
He told her it was a unique chance for her to have an affair with one of the greatest men in all of Germany (himself) and
promised her a great career.

She rebuffed his advances and three days later, work on her film was stopped. Goebbels' undersecretary, Karl Hanke found out
about the incident and brought her to Frau Goebbels to tell her story. She asked Annaliese her side of the story and after she
shared what happened to her, Magda burst into tears. She told Anneliese "I confronted my husband and he said 'on the lives of
our children, it wasn't like that.', but when I hear it from you, I have to believe you." Josef lorded his power over the film
industry and slept with most actresses. Those who wouldn't touch him found themselves out of work. Josef Goebbels
prevented her from acting in German films.

However, her close friend, opera star Maria Cebotari, secured for her work in the Italian film industry. After making five pictures
in Italy she was ordered back to Germany in 1943 to be utilised for army welfare. She was subsequently employed as translator/
caretaker for the expatriate family of deposed dictator Benito Mussolini who had been moved to a Bavarian castle.

Source: -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anneliese_Uhlig
Attachments
DjElq7bW0AAOjHJ.jpg
DjElq7bW0AAOjHJ.jpg (55.38 KiB) Viewed 4994 times

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 26 Jul 2022, 14:17

The then list of the so-called "God-gifted" ("Gottbegnadet") is very interesting in this context:

Gottbegnadeten-Liste https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottbegnadeten-Liste

All the prominent names are there, terrifying, all blowing powdered sugar up the Führer's ass, and a great deal more...

It's still the same today, you howl with the wolves, nothing has changed.

What you call "The Nazis" today, they weren't dumb idiots, they knew exactly where to start. The men in the brown uniforms were useful idiots, ignorant, the underclass, full of hate and frustration.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 09 Aug 2022, 11:05

Ilse Werner, famous on German radio for this song ' Ja, das ist meine Melodie ' ( 1941 ).

Attachments
Werner.jpg
Werner.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 4820 times

Return to “Women in the Reich”