Black Women in WW2 Germany

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
kitten

Black Women in WW2 Germany

Post by kitten » 09 Jan 2007, 23:44

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, :oops: but does anyone know of any sources of information relating to this topic?

I know there was a sizeable population of Black people in Germany during the war, but besides them being sterilised or placed in concentration camps, there seems to be no information whatsoever.

Can anyone help? :)

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 10 Jan 2007, 03:55

Hello kitten, and welcome to the Forum.
kitten wrote:I know there was a sizeable population of Black people in Germany during the war, but besides them being sterilised or placed in concentration camps, there seems to be no information whatsoever.
As you're new here, you may not be aware that statements like those above, that are not generally known nor widely accepted as fact, should be accompanied by a source for the information. These topics have been discussed in the Forum before, for example in the threads given below. If your information is, in fact, drawn from those threads, you should consider its reliability and context in those discussions before presenting it as sweeping, general fact.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=2988
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=53306

Best,
~Vikki

faf_476

Post by faf_476 » 10 Jan 2007, 04:05

I think black people in Germany was segregated from the jews as they are African-German born, the Gestapo I think just forbid some rules to them.

kitten

Post by kitten » 10 Jan 2007, 20:32

Vikki wrote:Hello kitten, and welcome to the Forum.
kitten wrote:I know there was a sizeable population of Black people in Germany during the war, but besides them being sterilised or placed in concentration camps, there seems to be no information whatsoever.
As you're new here, you may not be aware that statements like those above, that are not generally known nor widely accepted as fact, should be accompanied by a source for the information. These topics have been discussed in the Forum before, for example in the threads given below. If your information is, in fact, drawn from those threads, you should consider its reliability and context in those discussions before presenting it as sweeping, general fact.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=2988
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=53306

Best,
~Vikki

:oops: :oops:

Thank You

nondescript handle

Re: Black Women in WW2 Germany

Post by nondescript handle » 10 Jan 2007, 23:04

kitten wrote:Forgive me if this question has been asked before, :oops: but does anyone know of any sources of information relating to this topic?[...]
Hi Kitten,

English:

Tina M Campt "Other Germans: Black Germans and the Politics of Race, Gender, and Memory in the Third Reich"
- A nice work. The best fitting to your "gender angle" I can think of.

Hans J Massaquoi "Destined to Witness: Growing up Black in Nazi Germany"
- Not a historical analysis, but a readable autobiography. An easy introduction to the topic "Black Germans 1933-1945".

Clarence Lusane "Hitler's Black Victims: The Historical Experiences of Afro-Germans, European Blacks, Africans, and African Americans in the Nazi Era"
- Riddled with small errors (the German spelling is painful), but a nice overview.

German:

Katharina Oguntoye "Eine Afro-Deutsche Geschichte: Zur Lebenssituation von Afrikanern und Afro-Deutschen in Deutschland von 1884 bis 1950"
- IMHO the reference work for the history of Black Germans.

Christine Alonzo and Peter Martin "Zwischen Charleston und Stechschritt: Schwarze im Nationalsozialismus"
- An exhibition turned into a book. Little analysis, plenty of period writings.

HTH and regards
Mark

kitten

Re: Black Women in WW2 Germany

Post by kitten » 11 Jan 2007, 13:59

nondescript handle wrote:
kitten wrote:Forgive me if this question has been asked before, :oops: but does anyone know of any sources of information relating to this topic?[...]
Hi Kitten,

English:

Tina M Campt "Other Germans: Black Germans and the Politics of Race, Gender, and Memory in the Third Reich"
- A nice work. The best fitting to your "gender angle" I can think of.

Hans J Massaquoi "Destined to Witness: Growing up Black in Nazi Germany"
- Not a historical analysis, but a readable autobiography. An easy introduction to the topic "Black Germans 1933-1945".

Clarence Lusane "Hitler's Black Victims: The Historical Experiences of Afro-Germans, European Blacks, Africans, and African Americans in the Nazi Era"
- Riddled with small errors (the German spelling is painful), but a nice overview.

German:

Katharina Oguntoye "Eine Afro-Deutsche Geschichte: Zur Lebenssituation von Afrikanern und Afro-Deutschen in Deutschland von 1884 bis 1950"
- IMHO the reference work for the history of Black Germans.

Christine Alonzo and Peter Martin "Zwischen Charleston und Stechschritt: Schwarze im Nationalsozialismus"
- An exhibition turned into a book. Little analysis, plenty of period writings.

HTH and regards
Mark

Thank You so much for that :) :)

Return to “Women in the Reich”