Women of the Reichspost im Bild

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Heimatschuss

Women of the Reichspost im Bild

Post by Heimatschuss » 19 Feb 2007 22:38

Hello all,

we had very little about one branch of uniformed women in the Third Reich until now, the Postal Service.
Over time I've collected some photos of female Reichspost employees from the net. As a kind of hommage to Helly Angel and all his pictorial contributions I've adopted his 'im Bild' title line for this topic.

Sources:
Upper pic: http://www.ebay.de auction 170060166654
Centre pic: http://www.ebay.de auction 260086386919
Lower pic: http://www.ullsteinbild.de

Best regards
Torsten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 19 Feb 2007 22:45

Sources:
Upper pic: http://www.ebay.de auction 320040009407
Lower pic: http://www.ebay.de auction 200036734919
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 19 Feb 2007 22:49

Upper pic: http://www.ebay.de Artikelnummer: 170060161746
Lower pic: http://www.ullsteinbild.de

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 20 Feb 2007 23:46

Torsten,

Great pictures, especially some of the uniform details!

Below are some "official" photos from "The Fraulein Valkyrie Collection" that show women not delivering mail, but actually working in Post Offices, sorting it. The condition of a couple of the photos isn't great, but their content definitely made it worth rescuing them from the bottom of a dealer's "junk box" of Third Reich photos.

In case the scan is too dark to see it, the two nearest standing women in the second picture are also wearing Reichspost arm patches.
Last edited by Vikki on 20 Feb 2007 23:53, edited 2 times in total.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 20 Feb 2007 23:49

Another, and the back of it.

faf_476

Post by faf_476 » 21 Feb 2007 03:38

Pictures are nice, thanks for sharing.
:)

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 21 Feb 2007 23:32

Hello Vikki,

interesting photos you have. There seems to be rather little photographic material about the Reichspost in general and their female employees in particular. Though those must have been quite numerous during the war. Somehow the Reichspost always appeared to have been a bit shy of publicity to me. So the very back of your photo indicating that the pic is an official production is interesting news to me because it shows that such pictures were actually produced.

The Reichsbahn for example seem to have had a completely different approach to public relations. They employed a number of photographers themselves and there's ample picture material on almost every aspect of Reichsbahn life available.

Best regards
Torsten

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 23 Feb 2007 05:18

Hello Torsten,

I've thought the same thing about the relative scarcity of female Reichspost photos. Maybe the occupation wasn't considered as "glamorous" as others, or not as clearly a replacement for freeing male labor for the war? In any case, that's why I was glad to find the photos.

The other two photos are also similarly labelled: the first one I posted is from Usingen, and the second is also from Offenbach/Main.

Your comment about the information on the back of the pictures is one of the most interesting things about collecting. Sometimes a piece as a whole--the artifact--can tell many more interesting and broader stories about the period than the simple "what is it" of the object.

Best,
~Vikki

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 21 Mar 2007 23:02

Not a photo, but the identity card that the women would have been very familiar with (a recent acquisition):

snookie

replacement of photo

Post by snookie » 30 Apr 2007 14:14

For some reason, a post of mine w/nothing more than the following photo disappeared....

So I'll post it again.
Enjoy.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 30 Apr 2007 19:43

snookie,

I'm afraid Heimatschuss beat you to it by posting that photo in this thread a while ago.

But since you like the photo so well :) , I've merged your thread with this one instead of deleting or locking it for redundancy.

~Vikki

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 01 May 2007 08:46

Love the post office sorting shots. I would say it was seen as rather unglamourous!
Also maybe an image thing by NOT going O.T.T. on showing how few men were left!!!

snookie

Post by snookie » 03 May 2007 18:47

Vikki wrote:snookie,

I'm afraid Heimatschuss beat you to it by posting that photo in this thread a while ago.

But since you like the photo so well :) , I've merged your thread with this one instead of deleting or locking it for redundancy.

~Vikki

I actually own the photo as opposed to stealing it from eBay.
I liked it enough to purchase it.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 04 May 2007 07:15

snookie wrote:
Vikki wrote:snookie,

~Vikki

I actually own the photo as opposed to stealing it from eBay.
I liked it enough to purchase it.

snookie,

There is a point to be made there. Actually, at least a couple of them.

Speaking as "Vikki the Moderator":
Images of photos for sale on EBAY, and most other auction sites, are not, as far as I know, legally protected against copying. Most such sites do not have published, much less legally binding, prohibition against copying their photos of an item. Therefore, noone who posts a photo from one of those auctions can be accused of "stealing" the photo, especially if they post a credit for the original source of the picture (as everyone is asked to do here).

Speaking as "Vikki the Collector":
On the other hand, I agree with your sentiments both ethically and professionally.

I, and other collectors I know, have been hit with seeing photos of items they own posted here, and on other sites. Usually, these days, it's a reprint of the item in the seller's internet ad. Sometimes the poster "collected" the "image" a while ago; but I've personally seen photos of items I've bought show up here and elsewhere, literally between the time when I bought the item and before I received it in the mail. Right of ownership? No case, according to copyright lawyers I've talked to. Ethics? Well, that's another matter.....

Ethics.....That brings up another matter, and one that I'm sure "image collectors" and what I call "material culture collectors" will never agree on. "Image collectors" say that they are collecting the information in the photo solely, and many defend their position by adding that if your and my houses burn down, they've saved for posterity the information in the photos, "which" (according to them) "is the most important thing."

The problem with that defense is that the most important part of the information often isn't captured in the photo. In the Reichspost photos I posted above, the images captured by the photos alone show something about uniforms and employment of women. But without actually handling the photos themselves, and without seeing the information on the back of the picture, they don't tell the whole story: that the photos were "official" photographs, and therefore convey a carefully composed ideal of the subject matter. A simple photograph of one of the Luftnachrichtenhelferin caps I own wouldn't show the embroidered initials, doubtless painstakingly stitched into to lining by the woman herself. None of the sellers' photos of the other cloth women's items I own show the construction details, or the distinctively female tailoring. A copy posted on another site of one of my posts here, which showed a female Luftwaffe Flak patch, wound document, and wound badge, failed to even note the significance of a woman having received a wound badge.

As a "material culture collector", I must say that "image collectors" miss the point.

There is no substitute for handling the piece itself---examining it, examining it at length, examining it at even more length, examining it until it has sparked your curiousity to exhaust every possible source and comparison you can find on it, both written and photographic---even smelling it (well, those of you who've done it will know what I mean :wink: ).

And all of the above are part of the reason that I, probably like you, snookie, am very hesitant to share more of my collection on the internet.

Best,
~Vikki

snookie

Post by snookie » 04 May 2007 15:33

Vikki,

Perhaps my term "steal" was a bit harsh but was kinda surprised to see the photo I own posted here, regardless of posting the source...ebay.

Now I have had very little to do with "Vikki the Moderator", but have known "Vikki the Collector": for some time and consider you "Vikki the Friend": You have shown me yours and I have shown you mine...collection that is and I am relatively certain we do not harvest web images to post online. I do save a few from time to time just for my own records but would not post anywhere, regardless of sourcing it.

As you stated, actually holding the item in hand is what it is all about.

You know me as headgear collector and that is why I collect photos of headgear as part of the collecting process and have spent thousands doing so, filling albums w/various photos I have p-u-r-c-h-a-s-e-d on line and from private sources. I realized that in the sixty plus years since these photos were taken, there may have been many owners but I still would not post images of items gleaned from eBay without purchasing.

Just one Snookie's opinion.

Return to “Women in the Reich”