Photos of women in Berlin after May 1945

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Annelie

Re: Women in Berlin after may 1945

Post by Annelie » 09 Dec 2010, 14:08

Allotment gardens played a large role in Berlin life both in peacetime and periods of war.
Your correct, some of them are still being used today. While visiting a gravesite in Berlin I noticed many of these
gardens and most with little sheds on them that I was told people even stay in them overnight during summer, like a
get a way in the city. These gardens are very well attended.

Svetlana Karlin

Post by Svetlana Karlin » 09 Dec 2010, 21:55

Annelie wrote:
Allotment gardens played a large role in Berlin life both in peacetime and periods of war.
Your correct, some of them are still being used today. While visiting a gravesite in Berlin I noticed many of these
gardens and most with little sheds on them that I was told people even stay in them overnight during summer, like a
get a way in the city. These gardens are very well attended.
Hi Annelie,

The tradition of allotment gardening in German cities dates from 19th century. You might find the part on Germany in this article interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotment_%28gardening%29 Since some episodes of my fiction I'm writing take place in an allotment garden in 1945 Berlin, I've researched it quite a bit.

A few more photos of Berlin life immediately after the war.

A Life magazine picture of people waiting at a bus station:
BusStopLine1945.jpg
BusStopLine1945.jpg (183.75 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
An Ebay photo of refugees in Berlin with text on the back:
RefugeesinBerlinFront.jpg
RefugeesinBerlinFront.jpg (157.57 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
RefugeesinBerlinBack.jpg
RefugeesinBerlinBack.jpg (117.55 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
Scorched earth, scorched lives: http://svetlanakarlin.wordpress.com/

martyd7188

Post by martyd7188 » 18 Dec 2010, 19:54

These are fantastic photographs. This shows the destruction but at the same time, it shows the work ethic of these women. They did not sit around and knit; they were out doing some really hard work.
Marty D.

Svetlana Karlin

Post by Svetlana Karlin » 31 Dec 2010, 01:39

Just came across these interesting Bundesarchiv photos while searching for info on Berlin hospitals:

Baby bathing at a hospital in Berlin-Kaulsdorf, 1946.
Baby Bathing in the Municipal Hospital Berlin Kaulsdorf.jpg
Baby Bathing in the Municipal Hospital Berlin Kaulsdorf.jpg (183.4 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Baby Bathing in the Municipal Hospital Berlin Kaulsdorf 1.jpg
Baby Bathing in the Municipal Hospital Berlin Kaulsdorf 1.jpg (182.03 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Distribution of milk for children at Children's hospital in Rigaer Strasse, 1948
Kinderkrankenhaus Berlin Rigaer Strasse milk distribution for children.jpg
Kinderkrankenhaus Berlin Rigaer Strasse milk distribution for children.jpg (216.99 KiB) Viewed 2325 times

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 31 Dec 2010, 14:43

Thankyou Linkar, the link explains a lot.
I wondered if the plots were handed down through the family but I see its leased.
I would think if one didn't want to have such a garden anymore the garden lot would have
a waiting list for another to lease one.

Although they probably have some in North America I have never seen any.
But, the ones in Berlin across from a cemetry seemed quite a little getaway
in the city.

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 02 Jan 2011, 15:51

Annelie/Linkar:

Way off subject, but I was just browsing this thread.
The practice of communal garden plots can also be found in Sweden, where I lived for a couple of years in the 1970s.

We lived in a village about 30km outside of Gothenburg and you could see hundreds of such garden plots from the main highway going into the city. I was told they were a way for the city dwellers who moved into the cities from the farms in the countryside in large numbers after 1945 to sort of "Get back to their roots". Apparently this practice also dated from some centuries ago but expanded greatly after the War.

As in Germany, most had a small building on the plot and you could see people visiting and eating in front of the buildings on weekends and evenings. I do not know if they were owned or leased and I do not know if they stayed overnight in the buildings.

Just a footnote.
Bill

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 03 Jan 2011, 14:16

Bill Murray wrote:Way off subject, but I was just browsing this thread.
The practice of communal garden plots can also be found in Sweden, where I lived for a couple of years in the 1970s.
The very same in Finland, also! :)
I speak of experience. Being a plower and Potato planter as a kid. Hard work I can tell! :|
Greets
Juha-Pekka :milsmile:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » 10 Jan 2011, 09:10

These gardens are usually owned by a consortium / registered association. Anybody can become a member and I believe that the gardens can indeed be passed on within the family, depending on the rules of the specific consortium (most will allow this). Those rules will also define the proportions of flowers / vegetables / lawn asf that you must grow and maintain, to make sure people actually do garden work there instead of just using it as a hangout on a patch of grass.

Aside from the membership, garden users will pay some fee for collective expenses so it´s basically like owning your share of the consortium but still paying a lease. If If you do not have relatives with a garden, obtaining your own will depend on how sought-after the gardens are. Some have waiting lists, some not.

Today, they are popular in cities, in areas with a lot of industry (= crave for nature) or close to attractive recreational assets such as river/sea, forest asf. There will surely be waiting lists for those gardens. Others (small towns, shrinking cities, areas where most people have a garden at their house...) may actually have problems attracting new members and even offer the first year of gardening free of charge. I lived next to a garden colony some years ago, and found that russian, polish and turkish immigrants would fill the gap there. A bit more noisy than the natives, but very skilled gardeners. :wink:

Now in the past, those gardens where even more popular, not only as a getaway but simply for feeding the family. Every inch of soil was used to grow vegetables, plant fruit trees, some had cages for feeding up rabbits or ducks, maybe a hen or two for eggs...of course it was recreational as well, but primarily they where small farms. My grandmother grew up poor during the great depression, with seven brothers and sisters and an unemployed dad, and told me that their garden was a crucial source of food for their family. Back then, there would definately have been a waiting list, and even more so in wartime when people where underfed and/or without shelter.

Actually, I sometimes wonder why those gardens are not more popular today, because one would expect them to be for example for unemployed people. Great way to get cheap quality time with your kids, plus you get rewarded your own fresh food. Seems that people are not like my Grandma anymore...

Svetlana Karlin

Post by Svetlana Karlin » 25 Jan 2011, 22:49

A few interesting Ebay.com finds.
Berlin 1946 Thomas Robert High School Front Ebay_com.jpg
Berlin 1946 Thomas Robert High School Front Ebay_com.jpg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
The text on the back of the photo:
Berlin 1946 Thomas Robert High School Back Ebay_com.jpg
Berlin 1946 Thomas Robert High School Back Ebay_com.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
The photo caption said this woman in her 60's hired for the job in order to receive better rations.
Berlin 1947 Digging ditch for electrical cable Ebay_com.jpg
Berlin 1947 Digging ditch for electrical cable Ebay_com.jpg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

Svetlana Karlin

Post by Svetlana Karlin » 25 Jan 2011, 22:59

More from Ebay.com

People waiting for a ferry boat in Tiergarten.
Berlin 1947 Ferry Tiergarten Ebay_com.jpg
Berlin 1947 Ferry Tiergarten Ebay_com.jpg (151.37 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Coal dealer.
Berlin 1948 Coal Dealer Ebay_com.jpg
Berlin 1948 Coal Dealer Ebay_com.jpg (110.53 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Nissen huts in Tiergarten. The caption said that there was a popular discontent over them in Berlin at the time of the photo. The huts were erected to serve only as a light temporary housing for the summer of 1945, but people ended up living in them for years.
Berlin 1947 Nissen Huts Tiergarten area.jpg
Berlin 1947 Nissen Huts Tiergarten area.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

colt45

Post by colt45 » 21 Feb 2011, 02:20

Gertrude told me they dressed like men, but even the Germans raped them, starving and no where to go she picked a black Sgt & said marry me .. get me out of here to the USA

Son_of_German_American

Post by Son_of_German_American » 28 Apr 2011, 21:51

I think by now it is clear that the entire world wanted Germans to suffer and pay for their complicite sins. It strikes me as odd that the same moral indignation was not applied to other nations. It seems that forced retribution was an act perpetrated by countries having jurisdiction out of the real fear that from the ashes, the Reich would once again rise and repeat it efforts to take over the world. Perhaps it is precisely because Germans had, maybe still do, a very strong contitution on the individual level. Being of German decent, I have many times been described as a "hard a&%". In reality I prefer to do what it take to accomplish something without looking for handouts and to certainly pull my own weight. Many countries seem to love their uncle government to do everything for them. Germans in Berlin chose freiheit over soviet bread. Fiercely independent people always will. Some chose a full belly over freedom and I bet they regretted that choice over time. Who knows? Just saying...anyway time for condemnation should be about over now, I hope. Selling ones soul to the point of selling ones body for a chocolate bar because the occupiers want your suffering to be permanent and real takes away the stigma of it being wrong. In some ways they still are paying. One cannot run or hide from ones genealogy because genetics remain in spite of oneself. As an American born to both, my family will experience that retribution throughout history. Some reparations never go away...do they? Git er done...

waldzee
Banned

Post by waldzee » 07 Feb 2012, 08:13

Scharfschutzen wrote:I for one do not care for the picture of Trümmerfrau (the women of rubble). It is a reminder of what happened when Stalin made Berlin an open city. Notice the woman on the far right. I have a neighbor who was nine years old living in Berlin during May 1945. She tells some rather ghastly stories.

You may say what you want about sowing what you reap but this was truly the Barbarians within the gate!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To put it lightly
Thsi is one picture that coud be considered èxploitative``

Red star

Post by Red star » 07 Feb 2012, 15:28

Berlin 45.Young women earned livelihood not only a shovel :)))
Attachments
Wilhelmplatz 45.jpg

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 07 Feb 2012, 15:55

After more than likely being raped and probably losing their husbands, boyfriends etc. with no food and no way
of earning a living they did the best they could. Not funny at all.

Return to “Women in the Reich”